Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil brand choice

• 06-02-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

Are the old reliables like Castrol still the automatic choice or is there such a thing as nowadays all are good, it doesn't matter what brand, regardless of whether it's an oil company brand or a supermarket brand, just asking ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

sandydan wrote: »
    Are the old reliables like Castrol still the automatic choice or is there such a thing as nowadays all are good, it doesn't matter what brand, regardless of whether it's an oil company brand or a supermarket brand, just asking ?

Fuchs is apparently just as good, I always stick with Castrol though. It's reassuringly expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All good, just check on the bottle for specs. If it has the specs for your car fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

why I asked question ,or maybe should have vehicle and parts brands included is some European friends of mine are under impression items( oils cars electrical relays etc) destined for sale in this country are not quite up to spec or standard required for for uk and some eu countries, when they go to Germany and Poland and uk for eg they bring back oil and filters, regardless of lower price. similarly cars from uk again finish is regarded as better even though import duty is killing the price difference.also saw a comment on one post to avoid castrol oil wondered why? I have used and still use Castrol Duckhams,Shell and Mobil and others never heard of Fuchs but some oil retailers have their own company brand some up to 80e a barrell/200lt cheaper just 10w 40 or 5w 30 semi-synthetic on a paper sticker as well as they selling the usual oil company brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

CHEAP OIL IS EXACTLY THAT.

Newer cars require certain types of additives to be put in to ensure longevity,

ie, hyundai (ix20 i think) has 2 types of oil listed, for with and without dpf,
    same oil but different specs, put in the oil for no dpf into a car that requires it and youll block the dpf in half the time im told

there are special oils for fors/volvo/vw merc/bmw and so on. There is only cents in the difference but the oil rep who comes into us has told us to warn our customers about it, especially any car over 05-06 as they require the special oils in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

why I asked question ,or maybe should have vehicle and parts brands included is some European friends of mine are under impression items( oils cars electrical relays etc) destined for sale in this country are not quite up to spec or standard required for for uk and some eu countries, when they go to Germany and Poland and uk for eg they bring back oil and filters, regardless of lower price. similarly cars from uk again finish is regarded as better even though import duty is killing the price difference.also saw a comment on one post to avoid castrol oil wondered why? I have used and still use Castrol Duckhams,Shell and Mobil and others never heard of Fuchs but some oil retailers have their own company brand some up to 80e a barrell/200lt cheaper just 10w 40 or 5w 30 semi-synthetic on a paper sticker as well as they selling the usual oil company brands.
    That's a load of meballacks is that. How would it pay the likes of Chevron, Mobil, Castrol et al to make up a completely different brew just for sale on this Feckin' Island??
    discodavie wrote: »
    CHEAP OIL IS EXACTLY THAT.

Newer cars require certain types of additives to be put in to ensure longevity,

ie, hyundai (ix20 i think) has 2 types of oil listed, for with and without dpf,
    same oil but different specs, put in the oil for no dpf into a car that requires it and youll block the dpf in half the time im told

there are special oils for fors/volvo/vw merc/bmw and so on. There is only cents in the difference but the oil rep who comes into us has told us to warn our customers about it, especially any car over 05-06 as they require the special oils in some cases.

They're talking about the low sulphated-ash brews for newer diesels with DPFs. Also, anything with a turbocharger these days needs a good full-synthetic to deal with heat soak-back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've been using a crowd called North Sea Lubricants (think they are Dutch) for years, never had a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Go with the specification your motor manufacturer puts in the service booklet / specification sheet for your engine, critical for turbos, injectors, and DPFs on newer diesels. Ignore oil adverts and 'brands'. Ignore posters who tell you to ignore the motor manufacturer's specifications :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    That's a load of meballacks is that. How would it pay the likes of Chevron, Mobil, Castrol et al to make up a completely different brew just for sale on this Feckin' Island??

I merely noted that one post recommended avoiding a castrol product and wondered why?and i gave a list of some of the brands i use!This is one great island and really good people live here who deserve to get the best.
    Who said its Chevron etc are making up the brew i under stand oils can be bulk purchased required additives if any added ,and refilled into containers under licence, sealed and re-branded, no own brand oil i saw ever stated its original supplier,eg chrevron ,castrol ,unless I am totally blind.
    what about the general perception that other countries get better quality product and higher quality finish,it's the regulation of the quality controls on imports at point of resale i am referring to in general, and quality comparison to same unit sold in different countries.have a nice day:)

I merely noted that one post recommended avoiding a castrol product and wondered why?and i gave a list of some of the brands i use!This is one great island and really good people live here who deserve to get the best.
    Who said its Chevron etc are making up the brew i under stand oils can be bulk purchased required additives if any added ,and refilled into containers under licence, sealed and re-branded, no own brand oil i saw ever stated its original supplier,eg chrevron ,castrol ,unless I am totally blind.
    what about the general perception that other countries get better quality product and higher quality finish,it's the regulation of the quality controls on imports at point of resale i am referring to in general, and quality comparison to same unit sold in different countries.have a nice day:)

I have no doubt Irish import controls are just as up-their-own-hole as everything else here, but your use of the term "destined for sale in this country" led me to believe your friends were Roswelling it up more than necessary. ;)

If there is messing about going on with additives and bulk-oil purchasing it would be largely the same here as in other jurisdictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've been using a crowd called North Sea Lubricants (think they are Dutch) for years, never had a problem.

My local motor factors has a shelf full of this stuff and nothing else. Im thinking its likely muck as he sells it cheap.
    I think there is also a difference between wordings " Approved for use vw 507.00" and "meets spec vw 507.00"
    I might be wrong but Ive been told the approved ones have actually been tested by car manufacturer whereas the one that says 'meets spec' have not gone through that specific approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There may have been some truth to this in the past with cars but these days the spec of many Irish cars would be actually better than the UK market stuff.
    Regarding oils there would be no benefit in an oil company producing a special low spec oil and filter for a market of 4.5 million people.
    I buy oil from reputable manufacturers not necessarily brands like Castrol but major manufacturers like Mobil in bulk 20l drums.
    Its worked for me for a long time with no engine failures due to bad oils.
    I would be pretty careful with a modern diesel like the PSA 1.6 to make sure the oil was changed on time and to spec.

mathepac wrote: »
    Go with the specification your motor manufacturer puts in the service booklet / specification sheet for your engine, critical for turbos, injectors, and DPFs on newer diesels. Ignore oil adverts and 'brands'. Ignore posters who tell you to ignore the motor manufacturer's specifications :D

totally agree with you on that, I use a 5w 30 fully synthetic oil usually serviced by main dealer, paid for itself when turbo gave trouble at 3 1/2 yrs old ,replaced FOC by toyota dealer . but about one year ago i got diesel somewhere that caused a rattling sound like stones falling into plastic cup when taking off under pressure,filter replaced immediately and tank cleaned out and refilled. and injector cleaner used .just lucky and very choosy about where i get diesel now.:D

mickdw wrote: »
    I think there is also a difference between wordings " Approved for use vw 507.00" and "meets spec vw 507.00"
    I might be wrong but Ive been told the approved ones have actually been tested by car manufacturer whereas the one that says 'meets spec' have not gone through that specific approval.

in my opinion that type of wording makes it street legal and prevents consumers taking legal action,yet it could be top quality product, there are a lot of terms that are confusing and still puts the onus regarding quality back on the user and in event of trouble ," the manufacturers handbook and instructions should have been referred to and followed",would be the phrase used, i might be wrong.

well what do you make of this,an add popped up in my e mail

Bunker Fuel Oil Blending
    Barge, jetty, shore or container mounted MARPOL compliant blenders
    www.jiskoot.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Castrol has good PR, certainly a brand name. I used their 10w-60 fully synth many years ago, it was a good oil, nowadays I don`t see it on the shelves.

However, for example Lancer Evos notably didn`t like Castrol, was too thin on the bottom. ;)

Motul, Silkolene, Fuchs all well established brands, as long as they meet your car`s spec you`ll be grand.

used Castrol rx super in tractors with 4cl with and without turbo, 2 Opel non turbo diesel cars I used the Castrol Rx Super at 5,000 mile intervals no problems and they had nearly 200,000 miles done,engines went into other opels after. then it became unavailable locally except in 5 gal drums for a while. then not at all.what did they replace that with? saw couple of companies use RX super in trucks (turbo intercooled)as well as a Shell oil cant remember which one though, they gave long service without trouble, so I often wonder apart from the low ash requirements and for DPFs (whatever purpose they serve, cosmetic Id say as well as increasing fuel consumption in some earlier models) are some oils just given a new name for marketing purposes .Maybe road conditions contribute to giving cars a bad image in Ireland as opposed to EU and Uk and importing used from uk is attractive as result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

+1 for Fuchs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

obezyana wrote: »
    +1 for Fuchs.
    ^^ This! ^^

Also Motul, Amsoil and Liqui Moly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eddiemunk

I put fuchs in a car and it burnt oil like **** stoped using it total or maxol or Castrol I wud stick with...
    fuchs highly over rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

well what do you make of this,an add popped up in my e mail

Bunker Fuel Oil Blending
    Barge, jetty, shore or container mounted MARPOL compliant blenders
    www.jiskoot.com

That's to do with petrol, ethanol etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Oil manufacturers I suspect, compete for the business of filling all lubricants at the factory when the cars are produced.

When one oil company succeeds then their oils are promoted as "approved" A major boost to sales I would think.

Other companies can then produce the same blend and market their oil as meeting or exceeding the required spec.

At least that's my theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eddiemunk

colm_mcm wrote: »

the car was a diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

eddiemunk wrote: »
    the car was a diesel

Sorry, my post was a reply to #15, dunno what went wrong, edited now

often wonder is barreled & bulk oil-of different manufacturers blends and additives-blended by one, or two, blender companies, and then sold under company labels to save cost,due to the size of the Irish market and are the packaged product .5 litre,1 litre./2.5 lt &5 litre containers the only actual genuine company product at times, as you will hear so many stories of varying performances by the same product and i doubt if they are all dramatized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

eddiemunk wrote: »
    I put fuchs in a car and it burnt oil like **** stoped using it total or maxol or Castrol I wud stick with...
    fuchs highly over rated

I used Fuchs in my gearbox and the gearbox feels really smooth even from cold and iv always used the best of Castrol in my cars so i was reluctant to change but im glad i did. Castrol oil is good but its way too pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

How could someone even think something as ridiculous as this... the mind boggles.

i think a few have already answered that & thought it worthwhile to join in the discussion, and were not shy either, while you seem to think all is well and dandy I'm so glad , why don't you give examples of imported products and services to Eire being same quality as in eg. France& U.K.,you are entitled to you opinion and your right to criticize mine is probably enshrined in legislation,it won't worry me in the slightest, the submission just printed prior to yours contained two differing experiences of the same brand if not the same product, is that ridiculous :) it's some thing like that that, which prompted me to start this discussion in first place,

colm_mcm wrote: »

ok . where do suppliers barrel the oil they sell under their own name brand, some which i bought at 60 Euro less than the brand they have agency for, just rang usual supplier, looking for 200lts asked for best price,told man requirements ,universal for tractor make,year, suitable for wet brake discs rear axle, etc surely they need a blender to give do it to specs they print on labels,doubt if companies like castrol,maxol for eg would oblige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I am fierce picky and maybe it is my imagination but i think the car is quieter with mobil 1 esp 5w30 or elf (i think they are the same as total) 5w30 fully synthetic in her.

I also put mobil 1 in the gearbox and i think it made her smoother.

• Advertisement

I am fierce picky and maybe it is my imagination but i think the car is quieter with mobil 1 esp 5w30 or elf (i think they are the same as total) 5w30 fully synthetic in her.

I also put mobil 1 in the gearbox and i think it made her smoother.

Unregistered Users

You wanna say you put engine oil into a gearbox? :eek:

no, 75w90 in the gearbox
    I am told that 10w40 is the same denisty of 75w90 though and know a few lads who have used it without issues..... yet

no, 75w90 in the gearbox
    I am told that 10w40 is the same denisty of 75w90 though and know a few lads who have used it without issues..... yet

It is. EP90 hypoid gear-oil is 10W-40 with an extreme-pressure additive like molybdenum disulfide.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

I have an 05 Honda Accord 2L petrol manual. The manual recommends 05W 30. My mechanic uses 0W 30 full synthetic because he says that is the recommended oil. Which oil should be used?

cnoc wrote: »
    I have an 05 Honda Accord 2L petrol manual. The manual recommends 05W 30. My mechanic uses 0W 30 full synthetic because he says that is the recommended oil. Which oil should be used?

Either is fine. 0W-anything is expensive, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I use Quantum which VW sell themselves its only 35 euro for 5 litres of 507 spec the Castrol is nearly 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »
    What's so shocking about that? What damage would it do in all seriousness?

I had a car once that had a very stiff gearchange. I put 10w40 semi synthetic engine oil into the gearbox and it improved it no end.

In the 3 years afterwards until I sold it I didn't have a single other issue with the gearbox.

this was an old car mind, maybe newer uokes are less tolerant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The very first Minis had the gearbox under the engine that used the engines oil to lubricate the gears and thus was changed with every service. Took a lot of oil mind you (8 pints)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

dgt wrote: »
    The very first Minis had the gearbox under the engine that used the engines oil to lubricate the gears and thus was changed with every service. Took a lot of oil mind you (8 pints)

Gearbox was in the engine sump.

Bad memories!!!!

Unregistered Users

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What's so shocking about that? What damage would it do in all seriousness?
    Engine oil is for engine. Transmission fluid is for gearbox. Are you gonna say you know better than entire motor industry?
    I had a car once that had a very stiff gearchange. I put 10w40 semi synthetic engine oil into the gearbox and it improved it no end.
    Faulty gearbox needs repair, not pseudo-magic with improper lubrication. ;)
    In the 3 years afterwards until I sold it I didn't have a single other issue with the gearbox.

this was an old car mind, maybe newer uokes are less tolerant.

I guess there's a bunch of factors - I'd say if gearbox was not abused, it would survive that, a lot of luck as well.
    dgt wrote: »
    Yep, but we're not talking about an old mini atm. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Engine oil is for engine. Transmission fluid is for gearbox. Are you gonna say you know better than entire motor industry?
    Faulty gearbox needs repair, not pseudo-magic with improper lubrication. ;)

I guess there's a bunch of factors - I'd say if gearbox was not abused, it would survive that, a lot of luck as well.

Yep, but we're not talking about an old mini atm. :)

Ah here, come off it man. I'm never proclaimed I knew better than anyone. Just sharing my experience is all. Also despite the name "fluid" been given to it, its an oil.

Engine oil is for engine. Transmission fluid is for gearbox. Are you gonna say you know better than entire motor industry?...

Strictly speaking, transmission fluid is hydraulic fluid, for automatic transmissions. EP90 (usually) is for manual gearboxes, which is 10W-40 semi with an extreme-pressure additive, as I said up-thread. Most modern motorbikes use the same oil in the sump and gearbox, which is why special brews without friction modifiers in the additive package need to be used - they nearly all run wet clutches, you see, unlike cars. Theoretically, I'd have no issue using a good 10W-40 full-synth in a gearbox as long as it's changed every year, but of course EP90 is readily available.

Ah here, come off it man. I'm never proclaimed I knew better than anyone. Just sharing my experience is all. Also despite the name "fluid" been given to it, its an oil.

In the old days of the first American "Hydramatic" 'boxes, whale-oil was used as ATF! I kid you not. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

In the old days of the first American "Hydramatic" 'boxes, whale-oil was used as ATF! I kid you not. :cool:

Isn't 75w90 semi synth still based on animal fats?

Interslice wrote: »
    Isn't 75w90 semi synth still based on animal fats?

It would surprise me. About 30% polyalphaolifins, a good whack of molybdenum disulfide and the rest ye olde SAE 30 mineral would be more likely.

It would surprise me. About 30% polyalphaolifins, a good whack of molybdenum disulfide and the rest ye olde SAE 30 mineral would be more likely.

A mechanic friend mentioned about the animal fats and to be carefull not to get any on your hands, that it can give you bad infections especially if you've any cuts. Can't remember if it was gearbox or PAS oil he was on about. I changed both around the same time. I know the gearbox oil smelt rotten.

A mechanic friend mentioned about the animal fats and to be carefull not to get any on your hands, that it can give you bad infections especially if you've any cuts. Can't remember if it was gearbox or PAS oil he was on about. I changed both around the same time. I know the gearbox oil smelt rotten.
    was at H&Safety course and you wouldn't like the side effects some of the chemical compounds included in products have on people,and some target specific organs,some blood etc,some take as long as 20 years or longer to start attacking system and it could be next generation, I use oils without gloves sometimes too but use gloves if using oils,or even washing up liquid continuosly or mixtures of, as well as the accepted known bad "ones"and if it smells bad use mask to stop vapours entering lungs they're just as bad. some chemicals go through the skin like water through a tissue in same way as worm and fluke drenches for cattle and cannot be washed off

was H&Safety course and you wouldn't even like to begin mentioning the side effects some of the chemical compounds included in products have on people,and some target specific organs,some blood etc,some take as long as 20 years or longer to start attacking system and it could be next generation, I use oils without gloves sometimes too but use gloves if continuously using oils,or even washing up liquid as well as the accepted known bad "ones"and if it smells bad use mask to stop vapours entering lungs they're just as bad

Would well believe it. I always try to wear gloves now. I'd no gloves left there over christmas and got dermatitis on my hands after working on a friend of a friends golf. It hadn't been serviced in two years and had a blocked pcv. Thing was covered in rotten manky brownish oil. I find the fully synthetic long life diesel oils can really absorb into your skin too.

i don't want to change topic away from oils and imported goods quality versus european standards but thought id throw that one in from a H&S course just as a warning,some one made a very good comparison when another idividual was saying they had no H&S long ago and things were fine,he pointed out that about one person in ten can catch an electric fence wire and take no notice of the shock and its roughly the same instant obvious reaction to chemicals - meaning very few get seriously ill immediately and i believe it now , about a year ago saw fella who worked with cement all his life and skin boiled off his hands all way up to his elbows - dermatitis and real bad

No mineral oil is good for you, and ingesting any of them should be avoided. Used oils are particularly full of nasties, some of them carcinogenic. Most hydraulic fluids are nasty too. Smell-wise it could be a lot worse. In the '70s most Japanese motorcycles arrived from Japan with the forks full of fish-oil. This got interesting about 20 years later when people started rebuilding/restoring old Jap classics and dismantled the forks for the first time. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement