Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flogas v Bord Gais

Options
  • 01-10-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had switched from Bord Gais to Flogas for domestic gas supply. Their website says they are 5% cheaper (which I presume is off Bord Gais's new rate which came in to effect on 1st October). It seems like aa great deal but doesn't get as much attention as is made of people switching from ESB to Bord Gais for electricity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I am not a natural gas customer myself but, yes, by all accounts Flogas is the better deal.

Bord Gais's prices in the gas market are regulated whereas Flogas' are not and so Flogas are able to undercut them

They are doing to Bord Gais in the gas market what Bord Gais is doing to ESB in the electricity market and for the same regulatory reason.

Flogas need to get their advertising act together though. They are far too low profile.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Fnergg wrote: »
    Bord Gais's prices in the gas market are regulated whereas Flogas' are not and so Flogas are able to undercut them

They are doing to Bord Gais in the gas market what Bord Gais is doing to ESB in the electricity market and for the same regulatory reason.

Flogas need to get their advertising act together though. They are far too low profile.

+1
    Finally some credible competition. The natural gas domestic market has been open since mid 2008. Flogas need to up their non-existent advertising and they should gain more custom (as the mrket is artificially inflated by the CER)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tomsav

+2 : they should advertise more!

They are now offering 9% saving on Bord Gas. Even if you moved your elec to Bord Gas it would be now worth moving Gas to Flogas. You would loose 2% from bord Gas as you would not have the gas + elec but get a 9% discount on your gas!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Are they regulated to the same level as bord gais? I only ask this because I had a service done with a calor gas contractor that resulted in unburnt gas being released into my house. I could only report this to calor gas as they had no organisation to report this to.........lets just say I now have a new boiler and its supplier (BG) has an independant body to report to.

Flogas are a gas supplier - the same way as Bord Gais can now supply your electricity. If there is any work done on your gas appliances it should be by a qualified gas plumber. Any leaks etc. should still be reported to Bord Gais.

• Advertisement

Hi Tomsav,
    My point and concern was that Calor Gas had (and probably still do) employ a contractor who carried out a repair that left my boiler in a dangerous state. The guy jammed a nail into the pilot light hole to make it bigger among other things.

This guy could still be working on Calor gas boilers. It was dealt with completely 'inhouse'. There are no statistics or regularity body to report this to and ensure this guy doesnt kill someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

axel rose wrote: »
    This guy could still be working on Calor gas boilers. It was dealt with completely 'inhouse'. There are no statistics or regularity body to report this to and ensure this guy doesnt kill someone!
    You should find the info you're looking for here. And from that the complaints section of RECI is here.

Thanks for the links sceptre but bord gas and calor gas are very separate. BG is regulated but flogas and calor gas at the moment are not. (this may have changed but in January this was not the case)

I tried to report this but there is no organisation to report it to.......which explains my new boiler and gas supplier. It may be different now with mains gas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Are they regulated to the same level as bord gais? I only ask this because I had a service done with a calor gas contractor that resulted in unburnt gas being released into my house. I could only report this to calor gas as they had no organisation to report this to.........lets just say I now have a new boiler and its supplier (BG) has an independant body to report to.
    flogas natural gas is regulated (not in pricing scheme) by the CER, the commision for energy regulation, the same body that regulates BGE's distribution and supply businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1
    Finally some credible competition. The natural gas domestic market has been open since mid 2008. Flogas need to up their non-existent advertising and they should gain more custom (as the mrket is artificially inflated by the CER)
    tomsav wrote: »
    +2 : they should advertise more!

They are now offering 9% saving on Bord Gas. Even if you moved your elec to Bord Gas it would be now worth moving Gas to Flogas. You would loose 2% from bord Gas as you would not have the gas + elec but get a 9% discount on your gas!!!!

+3!! The only reason I heard about this was because they have a daily competition this week on the breakfast show on Newstalk!

Just checked out their website and its a 7% saving with a further 2% if you opt for DD. I'll be changing later on when I can find my last BG bill!

They also guarantee their prices will be lower than BG if the regulator allows BG to drop theirs which is good.

They absolutely need to advertise more....The Big Switch...away from Bord Gais :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Yeah I think the Regulator needs to do a bit of work explaining that Bord Gais Networks and Bord Gais Energy are two separate entities, a bit like ESBN and ESBCS.
    Any leaking gas is the responsibility of Bord Gais Networks, nothing to do with Bord Gais Energy - it would be akin to complaining to Dublin Bus because you're train ticket from Dublin to Cork won't work in the machine. Yes they are both part of CIE, but have completely different responsibilities. the same holds for ESB Networks and ESB Customer Supply.
    I think the Regulator has been a failure on this eduction issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Better than Bord Gais?

They are cheaper - but has anyone got any actual experience of having used them?

Just switched to them last month. Looking forward to my 9% cheaper bills. In terms of service, it's still Bord Gais Networks who manage the delivery of the gas going into your home. You just pay for the gas itself to Flogas - at a 9% discount :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I hadn't realised that BG have a competitor. I'm seriously going to look into switching. Ever since I moved into my new house, I've had a nightmare dealing with BG's customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I hadn't realised that BG have a competitor. I'm seriously going to look into switching. Ever since I moved into my new house, I've had a nightmare dealing with BG's customer support.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mordka

I have to switch from BG to Flogas. I`m with BG many years and now I have new house and BG asked me for 400EUR deposit :eek:. easy money ? not these days ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

recently changed to flogas and got my confirmation letter yesterday to say i am a customer.
    happy days
    9% less than BG costs.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Does it cost you to switch? Is there a switch over cost??

nope doesnt cost a thing.

follow the link in my signature if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Please tell me that Flogas us equally affected by the most recent Bord Gais reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

Please tell me that Flogas us equally affected by the most recent Bord Gais reduction?

yes they have guaranteed to make the reduction.

Got my first Flogas Bill.
    Just worked it out and on this bill I saved myself 13.6488 euro
    for a period of 32 Days.
    so if i take it i will save the same each day I could save 155.68 based on the last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yddib

I have been with BG since november 2008. Never paid the deposit of €400(a bit steep!) but i have paid all my bills on time and in full. I received a letter stating I was in "considerable arrears" of €399.07!! Rang up credit control dept, had my little rant and threatened to close account. I was then told that if i did close my account they would owe me 93 cent, madness :confused:

So I just made the switch to flogas, no deposit when paid through DD(€200 with BG). It took less than 5 minutes on the phone.
    So here's to cheaper bills and better customer service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Flogas switcher here too since Sept last year - no deposit if paid by DD and cheaper bills, switch took no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Anyone has to be better than Bordgáis. They have the worst custmer service ever. In rented accomodation they asked for 400E deposit which we refused to pay as we have had an account for years with no late payments barr one when we changed house. We have rang CS hotline numerous times. We keep asking to speak to a supervisor who is never working, and who has yet to return a phonecall.
    They keep sending threathening letters with the bills and we keep paying for the gas we use and not the deposit.
    Unfortunatley we cannot switch as we need a fully paid bill.
    A family member of mine works for the community welfare service and she has said in 15 years she has never been able to contact a Bordgáis supervisor...disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Yeah I think the Regulator needs to do a bit of work explaining that Bord Gais Networks and Bord Gais Energy are two separate entities, a bit like ESBN and ESBCS.
    Any leaking gas is the responsibility of Bord Gais Networks, nothing to do with Bord Gais Energy - it would be akin to complaining to Dublin Bus because you're train ticket from Dublin to Cork won't work in the machine. Yes they are both part of CIE, but have completely different responsibilities. the same holds for ESB Networks and ESB Customer Supply.
    I think the Regulator has been a failure on this eduction issue.

i dont think bord gais had a choice as far as i knew the government took ownership of esb and bg networks after the telecoms hassle a few years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Bit of a zombie thread revival, but I was going to post anyway & no point in a new thread.

Just got my second flogas bill after switching from BG late last year. This bill is €54 cheaper for the two month period, the last one was €57 cheaper. So we're averaging about €25 a month less expensive. It seems like the heat was on longer (& higher) this year also because of the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 A&E

Just switched from Bord Gais to Flogas and got a bill for a month ( my first month ) of €275 ...for one month. Called Flogas and the girl was absolutely no help - she tried to explain that the reason for it was that by the time my details were processed it went into an extra week??? Anyone have any similar stories or indeed advice as my direct debit goes out on the 3rd and am thinking of cancelling it and going back to Bord Gas?? Help as my last bill for one month with Bord Gais was €85??tks for any helpp

Advertisement