Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

testing my machines security

• 03-01-2004 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

im looking for an application that will test the security features of my machine, i am not connected to a network, its a stand alone pc, although i do connect to the internet, so i want to run this aplication from the same machine, is that possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

if you are into linux you can scan your system using Nessus (nessus.org [irrc] ). But if you are in Windoze! then, I would say

1. Fully update your system off the windows update.

2.Install a firewall I recommend BlackICE

3.Scan your system with AV, Norton fully updated will do.

4. If you are using dialup then I wouldn't worrie do these steps and you should be ok.

As for the application your after yes it is possible.......!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

GFI Languard scanner

or

Shadow security scanner

are good for windows.. or you could try eEye's retina scanner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

Try a full blown security auditing tool. Nessus is my tool of choice, but there are many other options. The windows port of nessus does not have a server, so you will need to setup a unix system for the server-end connnections. And then, there is always newt, which is the commercial server/client release native to windows.

The less information your system reveals, the better. Also alter banners when you can. Set up a intrusion detection system on both ends of a NAT. Once you have everything set up to take punishment, run a remote scan of your system with nessus using every possible policy related to your operating system. It woudl also be wise to run a local security audit of your system. Local security is just as important as remote.

Nessus can be found here: http://www.nessus.org/download.html

An alternative option would be Retina, which is windows native.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nessus is linux based - but you can use the copy on the knoppix bootable CD -not much use unless the PC has a network card setup.

Then there is the security problems caused by downloads and malignant web pages - port scanners won't ick up these. So get the utils / apps on the stickies here to block the malware & a good upto date antivirus while you are at it.

A move away from IE and M$Office and Outlook would also help, disabling VB and other scripting would also help.. note: a lot of these things can get reenabled by the OS or some of the windows updates so you gotta keep disabling them.

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    nessus is linux based

There is a native windows release called newt and a windows port.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was getting excited about Nessus for Windows for a moment..

From the site - The server (nessusd) is actually in charge of the attacks,

NeWT 1.0 - This is a commercial product from Tenable Network Security

NessusWX A native Win32 client (is just a frontend designed to collect the results. )

Edit
    Top 75 Security Tools http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

There's an online security scanner on the Symantec site. Google for it and you'll find it.

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    I was getting excited about Nessus for Windows for a moment..

Hence "The windows port of nessus does not have a server." Nessus is your friend ;)

Advertisement