Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virus Outbreak

• 02-12-2003 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Hey,

A network we are dealing with just got infected with a couple of virus's. Someone plugged a laptop into the network that had previously been used outside of a firewall and with out of date virus definitions :mad:

Everyone in the place is using either Nortons or AVG Free edition. Just wondering what people think about AVG? Do you think it will pick all the virsues that may be lurking on their system?

Also, what do you think the best way to make sure every computer is clean? Disconnect each from the network and scan individually and then reconnect each one at a time?

Thanks for any input.

Serb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Heya.

Im an I.T. Tech in IBM Computers.
    We have Nortons Corperate edition here. Out of curiousity i rand AVG FRee (about 6 months back) on one of the systems and 1 found 6 viruses that Nortons Corperate had either missed or dismissed.

I have AVG Full 7 myself at home and have run Nortons from time to time to double check it - i have only ever found 1 virus that AVG had missed - thats when i had the free version.

One thing i did find is that many of the systems miss SPYWARE for some reason.

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/parasite.htm

That site will check your system for a few of them - might be of use to you.

Hope thats some bit of help - but always remember - an anti virus program is only as good as its latest definations - UPDATE REGULARLY.

If you guys feel you need an IT Consultant, let me know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Serbian

Thanks a lot Taz. I may yet be taking you up on that offer, are you based in Dublin? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Hey Serbian,

That i am - out near the Blanchardstown area at the moment.

If you need any more info im pretty much online all day from work anyway - so post away and ill do my best to answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

This might be a good time to tighten up your network security (open shares, weak passwords, vulnerable servers, etc).

Advertisement