Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old postcard of Roscrea

Options
  • 03-08-2015 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I've stumbled across an old postcard of Roscrea on ebay, which shows a significant structure in the middle of what I think is Rosemary Street:

Does anyone know its history? Was it a local jail or something to do with trading?

I can't post a link as I am a new user!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

At the end of Main St, in middle of the street, there is a building called 'Market House' on OS Mapviewer, that might be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Artdeco30

Thank you - I've looked at the postcard again and it does say Main Street! I thought it was Rosemary Square because there is a fountain!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Copied image!

$_57.JPG

Thanks for the image Tiercel Dave.

I wonder when the structure was removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

I'm one of the tour guides in Roscrea.

You're correct in saying that it's the Market House. The one in that image was built in 1886. It was demolished in the 1920s, but it took a baton charge to clear protestors.

There was a much larger Market House on that sit before that, built in 1779, but it was demolished to allow traffic to pass. There was also an even earlier one built there, as in 1671 the market house in Birr was to be built "at least as good as the one in Roscrea".

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for that info. I didn't know there were tours in Roscrea! I boarded in the College there.

Where is the account of the demolition protest? Sounds fascinating!

Artdeco30 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that info. I didn't know there were tours in Roscrea! I boarded in the College there.

Where is the account of the demolition protest? Sounds fascinating!

From Easter to September the Castle and Damer House are open for tours.
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/midlandseastcoast/roscreaheritagecentre-roscreacastleanddamer/

The account I remember reading is in an old walking tour guide compiled by George Cunningham (http://www.amazon.com/Historic-Roscrea-Co-Tipperary-walking/dp/B0007BVMKE). It seems to be out of print, but there are copies available in the Library at the University of Limerick. There is also an audioguided tour of the town narrated by George Cunningham himself http://www.heritagetrails.ie/roscrea-heritage-trail/

It looks like it was still a sore topic by 1928 if this story from the Nenagh Guardian is to be believed (apologies for the spelling and grammar, it's not well OCR'd):

A deputation attended from the Main Street traders , Roscrea , in connection with the recent litigation in the course of which two wo rkmen were proseouted by the county surveyor for interfering with the roadway in Main Street , Roscrea . Mr . P . MacGrath , Council' s solicitor , stating the facts of the case , said thait proceedings were taken in the court in regard to Roscrea market house. There had been a new structure erected on the Main Street to cover the scailes , and the men who dug up the road in order to p lace the scales there w ere prosecuted and fined , but no further proceedings had since been taken He pointed out that the Council had paid the owner of the tolls £450 to remove the original market house , and it was his dut y to point out that if the Council allowed things to remain as they were there would be a surcharge , and in any accident that took place the County Council would be held liable. Mr. A . C . Houlihan , solicitor , Roscrea , who appeared for the deputation said all the traders in Roscrea wa nted was to be left alone. The officer of the Council should be informed they must have the permission of the Council before proceedings can be taken. Mr. Ma-oGra-th , pressed by the Council , said no proceedings would be taken before tbe next meeting of the Council

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/91686100/

Also, here's another picture of the same Market House

tf7rZVG.jpg

Thanks for your time and insight.

Photo you have uploaded is brilliant. Crystal Clear. Where did you get it?

I had it saved to the laptop, but it either came from http://www.roscreathroughtheages.org/ or their facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If you asked on the Tipperary regional forum, maybe someone would know what the building was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement