Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaky Boot MkII Focus

• 26-03-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have a very annoying problem at the moment. My boot is leaking on my MkII Focus. It leaks now on both sides of the boot, water seems to be coming in through the brakelight seals. The carpet on the sidewall, up high and near the extreme rear is always moist. My mechanic has siliconed once (1st attempt at fix) and then replaced the seals and siliconed (2nd fix) but I still have a nice pool of water in the spare tire well. Has anybody any experience of this problem in focus and how did they fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Friend of mine had that problem with an 05/6 5 door hatch, he tried the seals at back lights and did not solve it, eventually it turned out to be leaking from the hinges on the body at the roofline, might be worth checking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I have a '08 Focus (not leaking thankfully) and I recall reading that a common place where water gets in is around the rear wiper/window seal. Apparently you can tell if it is getting in this way by looking to see if water is collecting in the rear number plate lights. Hope this helps.

This guy found out where it was leaking from. All explained in his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru9iICwVLtI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfotrTKa_pw&list=UUReI7pXtVCqNWdB_LbnbBfQ

tl;dr: it leaks from the hatch hinge area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

It's the rubber seals around the wires for the rear lights where they go through the floor. Lift the carpet and you'll see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

I have had trouble with my 08 focus hatchback with water getting in. Sealed up everything with silicone, lights cluster, boot hinges. All to no avail. Then i lifted the roof track (plastic strip on roof for roof rack) and discovered tiny cracks that was letting in water. Sealed these up with ct1 and hasn't missed a beat since. Not a drop of water in the boot in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Thanks for all the replies lads. Will look at all these places mentioned and let ye know how it goes. On a depressing side note, just found a nice drop of oil on the driveway underneath where she was parked earlier. Is it mean to wish that it's off my housemate's car???Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

bar32 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies lads. Will look at all these places mentioned and let ye know how it goes. On a depressing side note, just found a nice drop of oil on the driveway underneath where she was parked earlier. Is it mean to wish that it's off my housemate's car???Ha

Another thing take out the spare tyre and check for water. As the water travels along the carpet and fills up in the spare tyre well. I had the same leak a few weeks ago and found 2 inches of water under around the spare tyres. But the leak comes from the corner of the boot.

Re the oil on the driveway. The way to know if it's from you're car is to leave a sheet of newspaper under the sump. Just hold it down with some weight so it won't blow away.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

I've been keeping an eye on the wheel well. I've bailed a considerable amount of water out around 3 times already. Carpet is getting moldy also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

bar32 wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye on the wheel well. I've bailed a considerable amount of water out around 3 times already. Carpet is getting moldy also.

There Are 2 Air Vents In The Boot,1 on Each Side Off The Boot behind the Carpet Wall,These Often Leak Water Into The Boot,You Can Remove these and Silicone Them Or Better Still Tiger Seal,then replace,quite easy.

Advertisement