Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Head Gasket

Options
  • 28-03-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

hi lads, just wondering if these are the characteristics of a head gasket problem.

1.6 petrol Avensis engine - 3zzfe engine, been known to use a bit of oil, but this one needs a litre every 800km or there abouts. so a bit higher than TOyota's guidelines

So 2-3 weeks ago, it started taking about 10-12 miles of driving to get the heat coming thru the fan - plus even on cold days, the engine cooling fan could come on after a few miles of driving - otherwise it was driving normal and the gauge was showing normal level.

So i got a new thermostat into it and the coolant level was low so that was topped up. this solved the heating issue. However the coolant level had dipped, so it must have gone somewhere.

I topped up oil today and noticed the bottom of the cap had a little of the "mayonnaise" on it - see the pic

300654.jpg

what do ye reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What you have there could in theory at least be caused by short runs as opposed to HG failure. Clean it off and check your coolant level now and see how you get on. If you're still losing coolant, you have to check it out but it's still not 100% that its the HG that's the problem. You could have a small leak in the rad or one of the hoses.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Avns1s wrote: »
    What you have there could in theory at least be caused by short runs as opposed to HG failure. Clean it off and check your coolant level now and see how you get on. If you're still losing coolant, you have to check it out but it's still not 100% that its the HG that's the problem. You could have a small leak in the rad or one of the hoses.

thanks @Avns1s - it doesn't usually get any short runs, its mon to fri - 30 miles each way work commute, but i will clean it and check the coolant level from now.

Has the coolant level been steady since the thermostat was changed? Bear in mind that it can take a few days of use for the coolant level to settle completely after a refill like this as air is removed from the system.

have not checked as was only a couple of weeks but will mark it in the morinin.

Fill it up to the "max" level on the expansion tank and see how it goes from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Haven't come across an Avensis oil cap that didn't look like yours. Your water pump could be leaking a little. But just keep an eye on your coolant level.

thanks for the replies lads, i wont panic just yet and will monitor the coolant level.

i think i have a little oil leak somewhere - i get no oil patch but on mornings after heavy rain, any puddles around the car will have a little slick on them - i must see about tracking that down

Advertisement