Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 B5 electrical gremlin.

• 04-02-2014 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Bought a '00 A4 B5 1.8 last August. On the test drive I noticed "fuse" showing on the dash and was told that all the background lights for switches/temp control dial and light switches in headlining stay on permanently if fuse no. 15 is left in. It also holds the memory for the date/clock on the instrument cluster.

It should be a 10 amp fuse and when I got the car home i put a 5 amp fuse in it and left it in permanently as the word "fuse" was overriding the trip meter and also if the fuse is out you don't have the date/time working which I found annoying. To this day the fuse hasn't blown and all the bulbs are diodes/leds so don't draw much power.

The info in the hand book for fuse 15 says instrument cluster.

I can't find a wiring diagram to see if there is a relay in the circuit that could be gone? The lights in the electric window switches on the doors go out alright but thats it.

Also I should mention that someone put a new radio in and it's not done 100% as it doesn't come on or go off with the ignition switch, you need to manually turn it on/off and therefore works with no key in the ignition. Would this be a cause either? I think it may be but not sure how to wire the radio up right.

Tbh I haven't looked at anything yet as the problem doesn't really bother me but I suppose it'd be nice to get it fixed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It'd probably be a good start to find someone with VAG diagnostics (not just an OBD/EOBD code reader) and run a scan to see if it points to any faults.

The Haynes manual will have a good set of wiring diagrams in it and they're not that expensive.

I'd definitely rewire the radio properly before going any further. The VAG wiring tends to be done, weirdness in the radio power supply can cause all sorts of strange behaviour. Particularly, check if the radio has a pin for powering a retractable antenna and where it ends up on the vehicle side. VAG use that pin for something else (can't recall offhand) and sending power back up it can do strange things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I have a haynes manual but it has nothing on the wiring for the above. Will look at the radio on Sat if I have time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The wiring diagrams won't show the internals of the instrument cluster, but they should have the pinouts for the connectors to it. Those diagrams are a little tricky to read if you're not used to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

What's your engine code? I'll see if I have diagrams for it.

Interslice wrote: »
    What's your engine code? I'll see if I have diagrams for it.

It's an APT engine. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

renofan wrote: »
    It's an APT engine. Thanks!

I've all the relevant ones there for a passat alright but not an A4 unfortunately. Your welcome to them if want, just PM me your e-mail address. I'm not sure how similar the two are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

I have the diagrams for your car, but it won't tell you much. I've attached the fascia and radio diagrams if that helps you. There's 4 radio options, I've included the Bose one, but if you know what the original was I can get that.

From a quick look, this might be similar to your problem: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html Basically the harness on the factory radio looks like a standard ISO, but it doesn't conform to ISO standard. There's a serial communication line going to the radio for diagnostics, but when you plug in an after market radio this gets shorted to 12V. This could potentially cause all sorts of bugs, especially if someone has tried re-pinning the connector to fix the ignition power issue. You should cut this serial line when using an aftermarket radio, as the diagnostics can't interface with it anyway. In my diagram below it's the pin marked K on the topmost connector. It's easily found behind the radio, the connector has the same shape as it does in the diagram, with the offset locating pin. Just cut the wire a couple of inches back towards the loom and tape up both sides. I think this is likely your issue.

To fix the issue of the radio not turning on with the ignition, you need to swap the pins labelled + and S on the diagram. The radio is getting power constantly, when it should only be getting power from the ignition switch. You might be able to remove the pins from the connector, but if not you can cut them both a couple of inches back and re-join each to the other wire.

Wiring-Diagram.jpg?t=1269238951

Thanks for taking the time to write that post dougie-lampkin. Hopefully I can get a look at the car on Sat.

Had a look at the radio wiring earlier and this is what I'm faced with. The radio in it at the moment is a new JVC unit with one din.

The wires to the left are for the speakers and are ok. The wires on the right seem to be the power ones. The red/blue one is live all the time, even with the ignition off. The yellow and red wires were wrapped around the red/blue wire which in my limited knowledge doesn't seem correct. Only wrapping the yellow or red on it's own means the radio doesn't work.

Also the thin blue/grey wire is continuously live too but was not connected to anything.

The brown wire coming from the dash is connected to the black wire on the radio.

I'm a bit stumped to be honest!

2014-02-22-1505_zpsffd597d8.jpg

Just as a follow up on Saturday I rewired the radio to the ignition so I now have a proper functioning radio but the dash lights are still staying on!

I'll be going to get an airbag light reset on the car soon so will see if anyother codes are showing up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement