Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Funding 2016-21

Options
  • 29-09-2015 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

So, the government are announcing €27bn in funding for spending on capital projects from 2016 to 2021.

Most the buzz is around Dublin but can we expect Cork to see any of that money?

I've heard a rumour that the Dunkettle Interchange might be part of the plans. It's a totally unverified rumour from a friend but would be brilliant for traffic flow in/out of Cork from that side.

Any other projects badly needed in Cork that would benefit from a slice of the €27bn pie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

First and foremost in any capital plan has to be the Cork - Limerick road. Its a disgrace. But afaik any plans to even look at it are not on the agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Agreed, the Cork-Limerick road needs urgent upgrade. Not confident it will be included in the plan though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

According to this the 3 Cork road projects will be Cork to Ringaskiddy,Macroom bypass and Dunkettle Interchange.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-roads-set-for-upgrade-in-27bn-plan-356429.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why is Macroom being bypassed more urgent?

Also, the Dunkettle is pretty good as it is isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

gimmick wrote: »
    Why is Macroom being bypassed more urgent?

Aldo, the Dunkettle is pretty good as it is isn't it?

Happy enough to see Macroom bypassed. Not top of the priority list but it will be most welcome for my trips down to Kerry :)

Dunkettle is far from good. It's a total bottleneck with traffic joining from the motorway, Glanmire & the city itself (from the Dunkettle roundabout), Middleton/Carrigtwohill/Glouthaune/Waterford/etc. all converging at the one point to get on the south ring road in the morning and the reverse happening in the evening. It operates at an acceptable enough level but it easily adds about 15 minutes to a commute during peak times.

This morning, coming from the Dunkettle roundabout, trying to get through the tunnel (at around 8am) only 2 or 3 cars were getting onto the roundabout while the lights went green due to the congested traffic. Usually those cars would then be blocking traffic coming from the right when the lights switched again, causing more congestion... and the cycle continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bacchus wrote: »
    Happy enough to see Macroom bypassed. Not top of the priority list but it will be most welcome for my trips down to Kerry :)

Dunkettle is far from good. It's a total bottleneck with traffic joining from the motorway, Glanmire & the city itself (from the Dunkettle roundabout), Middleton/Carrigtwohill/Glouthaune/Waterford/etc. all converging at the one point to get on the south ring road in the morning and the reverse happening in the evening. It operates at an acceptable enough level but it easily adds about 15 minutes to a commute during peak times.

This morning, coming from the Dunkettle roundabout, trying to get through the tunnel (at around 8am) only 2 or 3 cars were getting onto the roundabout while the lights went green due to the congested traffic. Usually those cars would then be blocking traffic coming from the right when the lights switched again, causing more congestion... and the cycle continues.

I dunno, bypasses are great and all, but many towns that the M8 Bypassed are completely dead now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Here are the details:
    https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/ncip-final-master-for-print.pdf

No funding for Cork to Limerick motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cork is getting Macroom bypass, Dunkettle upgrade, Ringaskiddy Road upgrade, flood defences for the city centre and that's about it. No funding for the M20, downriver bridge to open up the docklands or no sign of BRT. Pretty limited investment for the state's second city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Macroom wil always be busy bypassed or not,ringaskiddy upgrade badly needed to eradicate the carrs hill congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

would have liked to have seen one of the long promised bridges across the river.would be a big plus for town in town at rush house esp with the developments down towards the doc end of town

Of them all I hope the Ringaskiddy one gets moving as soon as possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not only is dun kettle slow, but it there is a lot going on there with lanes, which leads to a fairly high level of collisions, especially in rain, ice or fog. Would love to see those reduced. I don't get how this is new funding package though... This was on the cards for a long time I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

pwurple wrote: »
    Not only is dun kettle slow, but it there is a lot going on there with lanes, which leads to a fairly high level of collisions, especially in rain, ice or fog. Would love to see those reduced. I don't get how this is new funding package though... This was on the cards for a long time I thought.

It was. Nearly everything announced today has been on the cards for years. Government spin is hard at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Ringaskiddy road badly needs to be upgraded.

Its busy all day long in both directions and Carrs Hill is a bottleneck.

The M20 wont be completed for another 15 years.

gimmick wrote: »
    First and foremost in any capital plan has to be the Cork - Limerick road. Its a disgrace. ...

To be fair Dunkettle is key to the City & so to Ringaskiddy with all the multinationals and the planned port expansion.

Cork - Limerick road probably falls under huge project, little reward category or put simply most of us don't care about it :)

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair Dunkettle is key to the City & so to Ringaskiddy with all the multinationals and the planned port expansion.

Agreed.
    Cork - Limerick road probably falls under huge project, little reward category or put simply most of us don't care about it :)

I don't know about that. It would be a huge project but I think the demand is there for it. Cork is Ireland's second largest city at it is only connected directly by motorway to Dublin (and by extension, Belfast). There is no direct motorway link to Limerick, Galway, Shannon or Athlone. I don't have any stats to back up a case for the motorway but it has been long sought after and IMO would be great to open up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Bacchus wrote: »
    Agreed.

I don't know about that. It would be a huge project but I think the demand is there for it. Cork is Ireland's second largest city at it is only connected directly by motorway to Dublin (and by extension, Belfast). There is no direct motorway link to Limerick, Galway, Shannon or Athlone. I don't have any stats to back up a case for the motorway but it has been long sought after and IMO would be great to open up.

slighty off topic but moving to cork is traffic bad from kanturk to kinsale roundabout in cork city each morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

audi12 wrote: »
    slighty off topic but moving to cork is traffic bad from kanturk to kinsale roundabout in cork city each morning

What route are you coming in from Kanturk?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

kub wrote: »
    What route are you coming in from Kanturk?

whichever is the quickest

whichever is the quickest

Surely you can tell us what that is?

Surely you can tell us what that is?

:confused:

How did you get to that conclusion? He's moving to Cork, and is looking for the traffic situation in the city to get to Kinsale Rd roundabout from Kanturk. I don't know the answer either but I think you're being unfairly snippy with the poster.

Google maps says about 1 hour journey time in total (on both the routes it suggests).... adding on peak traffic to those routes (as far as I am familiar with the routes), I'd guess you need another 15-20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Apologies, mis read, read it as .. traffic is bad from kanturk to kinsale roundabout in cork city each morning

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Only 2/3 days after funding was announced for a series of new roads projects, Kildare County Council put out tender for engineering works for the Naas-Dublin Motorway scheme. That's fast! Assume Cork Ciounty is ready to go with the Dunkettle and Macroom schemes
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Let's hope the CC will leave the Shannon Park roundabout on the Ringaskiddy road alone now and not introduce traffic lights like they are threatening to do, in spite of opposition from everyone including the councillers. Hopefully this roundabout will be eliminated when the upgrade is compleated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

mire wrote: »
    Only 2/3 days after funding was announced for a series of new roads projects, Kildare County Council put out tender for engineering works for the Naas-Dublin Motorway scheme. That's fast! Assume Cork Ciounty is ready to go with the Dunkettle and Macroom schemes
    ?

AFAIA these would be NRA projects, open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

roundymac wrote: »
    AFAIA these would be NRA projects, open to correction.

Assume they are all NRA projects, as all are National Roads. The Councils act as the clients for these projects.

Advertisement