Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashes on the N40

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

At least he indicated!! So many drivers approach the roundabouts and trundle on their merry way expecting me to use ESP and KNOW where the hell they're going!!! :mad:

I was at the Dunkettle last week, wanting to go straight ahead. Not the first exit going to Glanmire, but the second one going to Midleton. I'm in the right hand lane, indicating right. Two cars already on the roundabout. No indicators. So I wait. Idiot in an X5 starts leaning on the horn.

He then wondered why I gave him the finger...

Don't think you should be indicating right here - that would suggest to me that you're going around the roundabout and back towards town.
    For straight ahead you should enter the R/Bout and indicate left after you pass the first exit (Glanmire)

N40 and the whole Kinsale Rd R/About area is a disaster. For people that don't know the area the lanes are too confusing. For people that do know it a lot of them tend to drive on regardless of anyone else. Everyone seems to have their own set of rules for the place.
    My own pet peeve is drivers in the left hand lane that won't allow anyone to merge from any of the slip roads. Even if there's room to their right they won't move over to allow merging. Some will go to the trouble of speeding up to prevent it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My own pet peeve is drivers in the left hand lane that won't allow anyone to merge from any of the slip roads. Even if there's room to their right they won't move over to allow merging. Some will go to the trouble of speeding up to prevent it!!

^^This^^

Hate that crap. Some arsehat in a Limerick reg car did this to me last Sunday afternoon. Loads of room between 2 cars in driving lane on N40 ( i mean at least 5 car lengths)...right hand lane empty as I am about to merge onto N40 west at Bloomfield. Dickwad speeds up to close the large gap I was indicating into. Not sure what he was trying to achieve other than being a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I learnt to drive in the UK. If you're taking the second exit, you indicate right, and get in the right hand lane. When you reach the exit, indicate left...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I learnt to drive in the UK. If you're taking the second exit, you indicate right, and get in the right hand lane. When you reach the exit, indicate left...

Only on a roundabout with no exit past 12 o'clock surely?
    roundabout2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's not what I was taught. But then I've been driving nearly 30 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

That's not what I was taught. But then I've been driving nearly 30 years...

Same here but I find I have to consult the rules of the road book every so often to refresh my brain as this country loves changing rules and regulations so we obey our European masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

This is why you cannot trust anyone on roundabouts, if people indicate right when taking the second exit the people entering at the the same place you are exiting are stopped from joining the roundabout because if you are in the right hand lane and indicating right it looks like you are going to the third exit,
    A good example is the Cloyne roundabout near Midleton,heading east, people come down the right hand lane, I stay in the left to take the second exit, then when they get to the Castlemartyr exit they indicate left and pull accross me, they are totally in the wrong if there was an accident but they don't even seem to realise what they did, the RSA even have to put ads on TV explaining it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Unless of course the road markings indicate you should be in the right hand lane to take second exit for example approaching fingerpost roundabout from douglas court and wanting to take Marlborough Hill exit. There are some like this around which causes more confusion. Hate them when you are unfamiliar with the area and road busy so you don't get to see the road markings properly.

Anyway give slightly off topic here I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bajan's interpretation of the rules ('clockface') is correct, as is the other view ("exit number") - both are legal under the Rules of the Road (bear in mind that the second exit at this roundabout is past the 12 o'clock position). Personally, I think the majority of people operate according to the 'clockface' method, so also indicate right, and use the right hand lane, when taking that exit. Haven't had an issue yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Chizlers diagram is how I interpret it unless the road markings state otherwise - one roundabout where this is the case is the fingerpost roundabout - if you're coming from Douglas i.e. past McDonalds going towards the fingerpost and you wish to go straight up Maryborough Hill then you need to be in the right lane as opposed to the left lane as the diagram states - this is because the road markings stipulate this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

D'Agger wrote: »
    The Chizlers diagram is how I interpret it unless the road markings state otherwise - one roundabout where this is the case is the fingerpost roundabout - if you're coming from Douglas i.e. past McDonalds going towards the fingerpost and you wish to go straight up Maryborough Hill then you need to be in the right lane as opposed to the left lane as the diagram states - this is because the road markings stipulate this.

that roundabout is a disaster in fairness, i've seen cars and even some buses come up to the fingerpost roundabout (from the east village/vets side) and take the left lane to go up maryborough even though maryborough hill is the 3rd exit,

as mentioned above those coming from the mcdonalds side, i've almost been hit on my left side MANY times from people taking the rochestown rd only (left lane) and cutting over to go up the maryborough hill,

coming from the carrigaline road side is awkward too as they change the markings from being in the left lane to the right lane for the rochestown road constantly.

and then in the heavy traffic times people who pull onto the roundabout when the exit is NOT clear, blocking traffic heading for a clear exit from using the roundabout and causing delays down that entrance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Again not traffic police on the roads anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Large accident on the south ring eastbound between the Kinsale road roundabout and the first Douglas exit, probably 5 cars involved and 4 or 5 fire engines there when I passed.

Car ahead of me coming out of Douglas nearly caused a 4 car incident on the opposite side by cutting across 3 lanes to go have a good gawk in the right hand lane. The two cars coming off the flyover had to brake to avoid it as it was going around 70 km/h, and slowed down even more when passing the incident. As soon as they passed they cut back across without so much as even a look and exited for the KRR. The whole time the entire road in front of them and to the left was empty. Stupidity like this really pisses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

TheChizler wrote: »
    Large accident on the south ring eastbound between the Kinsale road roundabout and the first Douglas exit, probably 5 cars involved and 4 or 5 fire engines there when I passed.

Car ahead of me coming out of Douglas nearly caused a 4 car incident on the opposite side by cutting across 3 lanes to go have a good gawk in the right hand lane. The two cars coming off the flyover had to brake to avoid it as it was going around 70 km/h, and slowed down even more when passing the incident. As soon as they passed they cut back across without so much as even a look and exited for the KRR. The whole time the entire road in front of them and to the left was empty. Stupidity like this really pisses me off.
    That's absolutely ridiculous Chizler....ffs would you be right doing that like!

Hope nobody was seriously hurt in that pile up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

TheChizler wrote: »

There's something majorly wrong when people can do this (and feel like there is no problem doing it) and get away with it. They are putting lives at risk.

Meanwhile you have police scouring town for people not showing parking disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I just had a fairly weird roundabout incident there in Little Island.
    I entered the roundabout to go to the second exit.

Did all the correct indicating .. and a huge truck just entered at the 1st exit and went straight under me. Had to slam on brakes .. beeped at him and got a bit of a shrug back in response and waved on.

I know mistakes happen, but this city seriously needs some lessons in roundabout usage!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

SpaceTime wrote: »

Did all the correct indicating .. and a huge truck just entered at the 1st exit and went straight under me. Had to slam on brakes .. beeped at him and got a bit of a shrug back in response and waved on.

I know mistakes happen, but this city seriously needs some lessons in roundabout usage!
    And dual carraigeway/motorway usage. At least roundabout usage is part of the driving test which means a lot of newly licenced drivers should be competent in using the roundabouts, whereas lane discipline, merging etc are not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The competence of a lot of professional drivers - trucks/vans/taxis - is quite frankly terrifying. The amount of truck and can drivers I've seen lately talking on the phone, switching lanes without warning, pulling out at roundabouts etc is scary. However bad a fender bender is in a car, if trucks or lorries are involved it could very easily become fatal. Do professional drivers have to do refresher courses? Really every driver should have to do a course or retest every 10 years. It doesn't make sense that there are people driving who got their licences 60 years ago - some not even doing a test - driving is a different beast now.

There really should (or is there?) some way of reporting poor driving
    It would be a tough one to police I suppose but it's infuriating when some clown nearly kills ya and there is nothing you can do
    You can see why dashboard cameras are being used more and more

It would be a tough one to police I suppose but it's infuriating when some clown nearly kills ya and there is nothing you can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kcb wrote: »

You can report it but must be prepared to give evidence in court. I know anecdotally from speaking to Gardai that many dangerous driving cases never go anywhere as ppl are nervous about going up on the stand.

while the crash happened on the N25, apparently the blue yaris came from the N40 travelling in the wrong direction through the tunnel. :eek:

how is this happening? they have big sign's saying "wrong way turn back" and surely they've noticed traffic coming against them?
    CORK:There is a car driving the wrong direction on the N40 South Rin Rd westbound from J4 Sarsfield Rd. Care is needed. Gardai are en route
    AA Roadwatch 55 minutes ago
    CORK: 5 car collision on N25 Cork/ Waterford Rd westbound at J2 Little Island. Motorists advised to avoid the area.

Seems to happen easily enough.

I was driving over the Mahon fly over the other day and someone was clearly not quite awake as they turned right from the Mahon side and drove down the off-ramp coming off the tunnel bound side (the wrong way).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

Seems to happen easily enough.

I was driving over the Mahon fly over the other day and someone was clearly not quite awake as they turned right from the Mahon side and drove down the off-ramp coming off the tunnel bound side (the wrong way).

This happened again this morning. I was coming off the ring road on the tunnel-bound side at Mahon and here comes a car towards me going down the off ramp. After flashing her she slooooowly did a u-turn on the off ramp and off she trundled back to Mahon point. Maybe it was someone who didn't know the area (it was a KY car) but I still can't fathom how you could mistakenly go down that off ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Hoofball wrote: »
    This happened again this morning. I was coming off the ring road on the tunnel-bound side at Mahon and here comes a car towards me going down the off ramp. After flashing her she slooooowly did a u-turn on the off ramp and off she trundled back to Mahon point. Maybe it was someone who didn't know the area (it was a KY car) but I still can't fathom how you could mistakenly go down that off ramp.

I have seen it happen too and also don't know how anybody even half competent could make that mistake.

I'd also love to know *WHY* a slow moving agricultural tractor is doing construction work on the M8 Glanmire Bypass.

Also, while I know it's not illegal in anyway, I am getting really fed up with slow moving tractors deciding to use the N40 at peak times. It's completely inconsiderate and causing tail backs.

I have seen it happen too and also don't know how anybody even half competent could make that mistake.

I think there are big wrong-way turn back signs there too.

I know people can miss signs / be off in their own world, but I think this is happening too frequently on certain roads. The signage isn't bad. It's actually significantly better than what I see on the continent all the time.
    The only think I would like to see added are painted arrows on the road surface at each junction to make it absolutely obviously that the traffic flows against you!

There needs to be something like a requirement for a medical and a very heavy fine if you turn out to be fit to drive for anyone doing this.

I'm thinking maybe €2000 + maybe 9 penalty points and a requirement to sit through driver education (at your expense) before getting your license back, if you pass the medical and are deemed to just be taking everyone else's lives for granted.

If you don't pass the medical / occupational test, you should be disqualified on safety grounds. If it's your glasses / eye sight you should have to prove that you have had that addressed before you are given you license back (after driver reeducation - at your expense)

We have to stop pussyfooting around about this stuff.

Also, driving a heavy truck while on your mobile phone should = removal of truck licence. It's utter disregard for the safety of other road users. Cars are bad enough, but a massive truck could cause multiple fatalities and their drivers are supposedly professionals!

Also, while I know it's not illegal in anyway, I am getting really fed up with slow moving tractors deciding to use the N40 at peak times. It's completely inconsiderate and causing tail backs.

i have said it before and got in trouble for suggesting it but i would be in favour of minimum speed limits on roads also, e.g if you are doing 30-40km/h or more below the speed limit for that road that the gardaí can give you penalty points and a fine. this would stop slow moving vehicles from being on roads where the traffic is too fast for them to safely drive along like the N40. (obviously there will have to be leniency on icy/foggy days but those are few and far between and the n40 in particular rarely suffers from icy conditions)

if you are doing 50km/h on a 100km/h speed limit road you are not only a dangerous driver you shouldn't be driving if you don't possess the ability to control your vehicle at a appropriate speed for the road conditions and being too slow is as bad as being too fast imo.

but before all of this they need to start heavily penalising drivers doing stupid things like not driving in the left lane (you know the ones who pull into the overtaking lane and stay there) and those who drive the wrong way on a one way road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

I dont know but it's pretty impressive that they can merge and cross into the overtaking lane against traffic going 100-120km/h. Id hazard a guess that its rural drivers only used roads that flow in both directions and dont drive on dual carriage ways so wouldnt see anything unusual initially if they were any bit tired behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

With CIT back there are now huge tailbacks on the L2222 exit (Marymount hospice) each morning. I've seen loads of ignorant, selfish morons trying to avoid the queue by continuing to drive up the left hand lane before jamming on the brakes trying to cut in. This is in a 100 km/hr lane so is potentially lethal. Would love to see a camera here recording regs of everyone who tries this stunt so that they can be charged with dangerous driving.

Advertisement