Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ Course

Options
  • 21-03-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to do a C++ course to improve my knowledge of the language and programming in general.
    I was hoping to complete the two courses below (alot of the beginner section might be a waste though as I would be able to do most of it pretty easily but will do the course in case I miss something I need)
    Before I book the first course I was just wondering would their be any similar courses in Dublin that others have done that might be better than the two of these?
    http://www.sct-ireland.com/cPlusBegin.php
    http://www.sct-ireland.com/cPlusAdvanced.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SionnachRoe

1) Do you want/need a paper qualification at the end of this?
    2) Do you need a classroom environment or would online suffice?

There are a lot of free online programming courses which may or may not suit

http://vitalflux.com/7-online-developer-academies-regular-consistent-learning/

the Microsoft intro to C++ may be useful to you

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/c-a-general-purpose-language-and-library-jump-start#?fbid=Cn2BroyPBGJ

Off topic but, although it has been a while (10 years +- ) since I last worked in C++, I remember the Scott Meyer books as being very useful and the essentials probably haven't changed that much.

http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Meyers/e/B004BBEYYW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

(I have included the Amazon link for ease of listing but I think some might be available in PDF floating around the web)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not worried about a qualification at the end of it as i'm working in IT security and i'm only learning the language as I want to learn/enjoy it.

I've been reading/learning from a book called C++ how to program by deitel. I've got a full understanding of half the book (about 500 odd pages - not counting boost libraries it teaches at the end).

I was more interested in learning in a lab situation as it would be quick to get answers to questions I have and wouldnt be slowed down in learning and I could improve my knowledge in it very quickly.

I'm hoping by the end of it, I get to the stage where it gives me the transition from console apps to full applications. If after I finish this course next week I will see if I can pay someone to help me fill in the gaps to say do windows programming.

I have finished the course above and enjoyed it but am now looking to learn GUI development.
    Would anyone on here know someone or offer themselves GUI development lessons for C++?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

All you need to know on that topic = don't use c++ to make guis. C++ has no built-in functionality for stuff like guis, you need to either write your own completely from scratch - or use a framework. Some frameworks for this are things like Qt or MFC. Look for a course in Qt. It's much easier to build GUIs in a high level language like Java or C#. These days most serious projects will use multiple languages, leveraging their strengths. You might write some low-level high performance component in C++, but have a Java Gui sitting on top of it.

Finally, books and courses are pretty much useless for learning c++. Even more so than other languages, the only way to learn is to do.

Also, if you were to "roll your own" gui - you would be dependent on your operating system. A native gui on windows would be completely different from one on linux - this is why it helps to use a cross-platform framework like Qt. So, it's not a c++ problem at all, but a matter of learning the windows or linux api.

I worded my question really badly, what I was supposed to say was for someone to teach me how to use something like qt or mfc.
    Qt was the one I had been looking into previously as its supposedly the most popular framework.
    I am just looking to get the basics quickly which I would get from a course/training to start me off then I can learn the rest by doing.
    I've been learning java and c# in college and would maybe look into using them for gui development at a later stage when I have more experience in programming (I didn't even know this was done :) )
    srsly78 wrote: »
    All you need to know on that topic = don't use c++ to make guis. C++ has no built-in functionality for stuff like guis, you need to either write your own completely from scratch - or use a framework. Some frameworks for this are things like Qt or MFC. Look for a course in Qt. It's much easier to build GUIs in a high level language like Java or C#. These days most serious projects will use multiple languages, leveraging their strengths. You might write some low-level high performance component in C++, but have a Java Gui sitting on top of it.

Finally, books and courses are pretty much useless for learning c++. Even more so than other languages, the only way to learn is to do.

Also, if you were to "roll your own" gui - you would be dependent on your operating system. A native gui on windows would be completely different from one on linux - this is why it helps to use a cross-platform framework like Qt. So, it's not a c++ problem at all, but a matter of learning the windows or linux api.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

srsly78 wrote: »
    I will give them a go over the weekend :)

Advertisement