Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Not responding/script busy' slowing my computer when online

Options
  • 17-04-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me to sort this frustrating problem out.

Some time ago I started having problems with my laptop when i went online....Pages would suddenly freeze up or sometimes fail to load at all, sometimes for a few seconds sometimes for an extended period of time.

The message which always comes up with this is: 'A script may be busy or may have stopped responding' then each time there'll be information on the script (see attachment).

The thing is, sometimes i can be waiting for long periods before doing a simple task online due to the delays this freezing up causes and i've looked online but not been able to find a clear instructions on how to resolve the problem.

Does anyone know how i can fix this and get back to using my laptop normally?

I'd be really grateful if someone could advise me on what to do about this.
    Thanks
    C

(Ps i've even had to rewrite this message twice before due to the freezing up causing my boards time to run out!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

What browser are you using? Is it fully up to date?

Never mind a quick google showed that you are using firefox:
    Such errors with internal Firefox files as the cause are usually caused by extensions that are misbehaving or (incompatible) extensions that are forced to load.
    resource:///modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).

Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
    https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Safe+Mode

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Have you installed a "No Script" extension / add-on or are you running beta versions of the browsers? The commonest ones to produce the symptoms you describe on my computer are FireFox (beta and "No Scripts"), Chrome (beta and "No Scripts"), Opera ("No Scripts"), OmniWeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have the latest virus/malware scanners? There could be some nasties in your computer that are stopping regular applications and scripting from functioning correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

Thanks guys appreciate your replies here (sorry i haven't been back for a while I basically borrowed another laptop to get through my final assignments so i'm only going back to my own now) I still haven't been able to resolve this problem.
    fionny wrote: »
    What browser are you using? Is it fully up to date?

Never mind a quick google showed that you are using firefox:

Yeah I'm using the latest Firefox (well i was when i put the post up in April so...should be still up to date) but the problem was there with an up to date browser
    mathepac wrote: »
    Have you installed a "No Script" extension / add-on or are you running beta versions of the browsers? The commonest ones to produce the symptoms you describe on my computer are FireFox (beta and "No Scripts"), Chrome (beta and "No Scripts"), Opera ("No Scripts"), OmniWeb.

I've absolutely no idea but when i look in my extensions there's nothing that i can see that says 'No Script' extension.
    Have the latest virus/malware scanners? There could be some nasties in your computer that are stopping regular applications and scripting from functioning correctly.

I regularly run virus scans and so far i haven't found anything...the main thing i keep seeing when i look this up on google is that there's a driver issue but I've no idea how to check that?

Advertisement