Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling from Poolbeg to Arklow...

Options
  • 30-06-2011 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

....by boat tomorrow, dusting off my rod and reel to do a bit of fishing. What are the best methods I should be using to get lucky? So far as I can tell, mackerel and pollock are my best bets. Trawling, casting etc? I've a decently stocked tackle box so any input before then would be most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

TomG29 wrote: »
    ....by boat tomorrow, dusting off my rod and reel to do a bit of fishing. What are the best methods I should be using to get lucky? So far as I can tell, mackerel and pollock are my best bets. Trawling, casting etc? I've a decently stocked tackle box so any input before then would be most welcome!
    sorry mate wat are u fishing for? pike is it i don know what is in arklow or poolbeg if i know what your after i can give you my info on best methods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TomG29

well it'll be Irish sea fishing thats why I said I thought Mackerel and Pollock are my best bets...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

Couple of Codling around Dalkey Island, as you said Macks, Pollack, few flats, possible tope off Dalkey beach, not too sure about further down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TomG29

Trawling? In terms of tackle I think I'll go with a small spoon, similar enough to a dexter lure?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

sorry mate wat are u fishing for? pike is it i don know what is in arklow or poolbeg if i know what your after i can give you my info on best methods

if you think the poster will encounter pike on his travels from Poolbeg to Arklow then your info is probably best ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

plenty of mac and pollock around dalkey, killiney bay isnt to bad if you anchor up near the yellow buoy, some ray, and occasional tope there, plenty of dogs and a few decent tub gurnard appear,
    if you head into corbawn of shankill here you can get a few codling, pollock
    just fish baited feathers in the rough ground ,stay about 2 foot from bottom.

all along bray head there are plenty of pollock and again mackeral

if your trawling slowly, try a full makeral after you have reached greystones north, plenty of tope from there to wicklow try stay out as far as the mulditch buoy area ive had plenty of tope here , if you anchor up you could get a few ray,huss and tope to, bring some crab baits and you can get smoothounds all along the coast,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

stevie_b wrote: »
    if you think the poster will encounter pike on his travels from Poolbeg to Arklow then your info is probably best ignored
    well smartarse as i said i didn't know what he was fishing for seen as he said trawling and i never heard of trawling at sea unless its with a trawling boat secondly he said about mackerel and pollock both of which ive used for pike fishing as dead bait he said nothing bout asking how to catch the two fish!! an awful lot of smartarses on this site wen im trying to give advise as a decent angler of fresh and sea water fishing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

well smartarse as i said i didn't know what he was fishing for seen as he said trawling and i never heard of trawling at sea unless its with a trawling boat secondly he said about mackerel and pollock both of which ive used for pike fishing as dead bait he said nothing bout asking how to catch the two fish!! an awful lot of smartarses on this site wen im trying to give advise as a decent angler of fresh and sea water fishing!!!

Hemingway has spoken

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I am sure he meant trolling :D:D

Advertisement