Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Volume

• 07-02-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

I don't know where to put this, so spologies, Mods/Admins, if it is in the wrong place.

Anyway,

What do you guys normally have your TV volume set at?

I usually have it at 10-15.

My mother has is between 20, 25, 30 and the odd time 40-50.:eek:

It is absolutely ridiculously loud. She complains she can't hear, but sure what would you hear with the tv that loud anyway?

And the louder the volume the more muffled the sound is, so there isn't much point in having it up so loud when you'll hear feck all, except muffled sound.

I will ask her to turn it down and she moans.:rolleyes:

But if I had the TV at that volume there'd be triple murder in the house.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's not a universal measurement scale.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Slow day today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Volume changes. With Sky, watching a program I set it to about 55 - 60. As soon as the ads come on though. Have to turn it down to 30. Or just mute.

GOOOO COMPAREEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

T.....V?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Some tv volume controls go up to 10, some up to 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Nerds have their volume in Binary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Volume must always be set at an even number, or in multiples of five.

kowloon wrote: »

Mines at 37 atm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Broadcast volume constantly changes, ads are broadcast louder to make you take notice for instance.

I think if you extend the conversation to include treble and bass we'll get a heated debate.

Nerds have their volume in Binary.

Now convert that bad boy into hex. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

normal watchin volume would be around 10-15. there a cryin baby in apartment next to ours volume could rise to30-35. that'll show the parents:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Would have been better using percentage as a gauge maybe.
    Saying like "I put mine 75% of the way up" etc...

My answer depends on how much I have pissed off the other half at any given moment.
    Whatever her voice level is at, the tv remote is at least one percent higher! :D

...I'm such a charmer. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Back when i used to work late i had to keep the volume down really low so i wouldn't wake anyone up when i came home and watched tv. Over time my ears got used to the low volume that i could hear everything perfectly on 2 or 3. Tested it out with mates and they couldn't hear a thing at that level. Mad how you can train your hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

lol you can't train your hearing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Set top box and tele have seperate volume settings.

Back when i used to work late i had to keep the volume down really low so i wouldn't wake anyone up when i came home and watched tv. Over time my ears got used to the low volume that i could hear everything perfectly on 2 or 3. Tested it out with mates and they couldn't hear a thing at that level. Mad how you can train your hearing.

Sounds like you could have put it louder if people in the same room couldn't even hear it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Was just checking what number my TV volume goes to and the frickin Harvey Norman ad comes on :mad::mad: Turn's out it's 100! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My TV doesn't have numbers for the volume.

I have it loud enough to hear to not so loud that it deafens me

• Advertisement

friendface wrote: »
    Was just checking what number my TV volume goes to and the frickin Harvey Norman ad comes on :mad::mad: Turn's out it's 100! :eek:

Jesus, I hope you can still hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I set the volume in the player to about 60%, then in the windows volume I put that up to around 80% and finally on the volume control for my speakers I have it set to around 5.7 bars. I fiddle with all the separate volumes constantly depending on how bright it is outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I usually set it at about 40%, generally not above 50%.

Rather unusual subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wish people would speak up I can barely read a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Overheal wrote: »
    I wish people would speak up I can barely read a thing.

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

friendface wrote: »
    WHAT DID YOU SAY?
    HUH?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

'xcuse me... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You all regret having the TV that loud when the TV licence inspector calls.

OutlawPete wrote: »

That's the microwave.

*shifty eyes*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a slight hearing impairment following meningitis. Had to have the tv at mega levels so everyone else in the house gave me loads of grief.

Got Sennheiser remote headphones. Best thing ever! Everyone else can listen at their preferred volume, whereas I can listen through the headphones at the best volume for me. And I can leave the room, go to the bathroom etc, without missing a trick.

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

About 1/4 the way up during the day when everyone is awake/not in the house. 3/4 if a good song comes on. 1/8 if I'm up late watching boxing or MMA or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone else LOL when they read "spologies"?

haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kowloon wrote: »

Amen to that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Amen to that
    I'm not alone... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If my crockery ain't rattling then I ain't appreciating The Afternoon Show properly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think the OP's mum needs to get a hearing aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If my crockery ain't rattling then I ain't appreciating The Afternoon Show properly!

Thats right very true it has to be like that.

Volume around 19 to 26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

You see, most TV's will be at volume 10. You’re on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What I do, is if I need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

It depends on the TV and speaker set up. For instance on the Sony wega I have volume is cool at around 10. However on the Samsung tv I have you would need to be on top of the thing to hear even with volume at 50. Surround sound does make a huge difference but I wouln't have it on all the time only for movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I mute the volume, turn the subtitles on and then read them aloud doing different voices for each character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭positron

My amp starts from -60 to I don't know how far it goes up to - probably 0, or is it +60? Anyhow, I usually keep it around -40 to -35, but when the kids (and parents) next door starts acting up, I turn it up to -20 and start playing Battlefied or something. A few hours of World War next door with grenades going off, anti-aircraft guns blazing and massive bomb raids etc teaches them for a few days..! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

OutlawPete wrote: »
    No thats not the TV, Brian Dobson actually lives here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I have mine on medium :)

Slightly related topic: If the radio/tv/other electrical item has numbers for the volume do you have to have it on an even number? I do, it must always be an even number but I can tolerate 5. If it's anything else I have to change it even if say 19 is the perfect volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

15-18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Sounds like you could have put it louder if people in the same room couldn't even hear it.!

I can have it at a really low level in my room and just barely hear it but yet i can go downstairs and it sounds like i have the on volume high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

annnnnnd mute! <insert Bodyform advert>

Advertisement