Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashes on the N40

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

With CIT back there are now huge tailbacks on the L2222 exit (Marymount hospice) each morning. I've seen loads of ignorant, selfish morons trying to avoid the queue by continuing to drive up the left hand lane before jamming on the brakes trying to cut in. This is in a 100 km/hr lane so is potentially lethal. Would love to see a camera here recording regs of everyone who tries this stunt so that they can be charged with dangerous driving.

This happens everywhere there are two lanes and a long queue on the inside one. These drivers are pricks and only lead to the traffic moving even slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

With CIT back there are now huge tailbacks on the L2222 exit (Marymount hospice) each morning. I've seen loads of ignorant, selfish morons trying to avoid the queue by continuing to drive up the left hand lane before jamming on the brakes trying to cut in. This is in a 100 km/hr lane so is potentially lethal. Would love to see a camera here recording regs of everyone who tries this stunt so that they can be charged with dangerous driving.

Do you mean the right hand lane? as in the overtaking lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Just to refresh my mind is this a one lane or two lane slip road?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Just to refresh my mind is this a one lane or two lane slip road?

From memory its one.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

off topic, apologies -- I was going down Marina Terrace on the edge of the City this morning which is 2 lanes going each way.

There was a cue of cars going towards the City in the lane on the left and next thing a car went absolutely flying up the right hand lane (i.e. on the wrong side of the road) and seemed to be going through the road at the top (which is nuts because you could easily be ploughed into), right at the top by the traffic lights a car turned into Marina Terrace, so basically the 2 cars are literally looking at each other. So yerman that went up the road the wrong way just bullied his way into the front of the cue on the left hand lane by pulling across the car at the top of the queue. Absolutely mental stuff. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

clerk wrote: »
    off topic, apologies -- I was going down Marina Terrace on the edge of the City this morning which is 2 lanes going each way.

There was a cue of cars going towards the City in the lane on the left and next thing a car went absolutely flying up the right hand lane (i.e. on the wrong side of the road) and seemed to be going through the road at the top (which is nuts because you could easily be ploughed into), right at the top by the traffic lights a car turned into Marina Terrace, so basically the 2 cars are literally looking at each other. So yerman that went up the road the wrong way just bullied his way into the front of the cue on the left hand lane by pulling across the car at the top of the queue. Absolutely mental stuff. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself.

I'd believe it, this level of arrogance is carelessness is on the rise. Please tell me you took his reg number and reported it? OK, nothing may be done about it but I think people still need to report such dangerous behaviour.

I'd believe it, this level of arrogance is carelessness is on the rise. Please tell me you took his reg number and reported it? OK, nothing may be done about it but I think people still need to report such dangerous behaviour.

I literally didn't get the Reg, when I say the car went flying past I meant it and then when the car was pulled across he was literally at an angle to the car in front !!! so I couldn't see the Reg. When the lights went green the car went through the lights 1st and I was waiting in the cue.

I agree with you though, it definitely warrants reporting. The person in the car could have caused a very serious crash.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

3:30pm today and there's already been 4 crashes on the South Ring, surely this is some sort of record?

Sorry, now 5 as of 3:40

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

marno21 wrote: »
    3:30pm today and there's already been 4 crashes on the South Ring, surely this is some sort of record?
    Judging by the behaviour of a few cars I just shared the slip to Mahon with, I'm not surprised. Just got tailgated and overtaken on the hill and brake checked after I didn't overtake a slightly slow car on its left, got separated from this Golf by a Corolla cutting into my lane without any warning outside the entrance to the shopping centre, this car drove right up the arse of the Golf who then slowed down to 30 and swerved into oncoming traffic to prevent the Corolla from overtaking on the Mahon Link Road. Psychotic behaviour.

They both drove into the PM car park and one snagged the barrier, so I got my laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

TheChizler wrote: »
    Judging by the behaviour of a few cars I just shared the slip to Mahon with, I'm not surprised. Just got tailgated and overtaken on the hill and brake checked after I didn't overtake a slightly slow car on its left, got separated from this Golf by a Corolla cutting into my lane without any warning outside the entrance to the shopping centre, this car drove right up the arse of the Golf who then slowed down to 30 and swerved into oncoming traffic to prevent the Corolla from overtaking on the Mahon Link Road. Psychotic behaviour.

They both drove into the PM car park and one snagged the barrier, so I got my laugh.

I despair for humanity when I read about this sort behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

mordeith wrote: »
    I despair for humanity when I read about this sort behaviour

This behaviour is the norm on the link. I considering avoiding the road completely during morning rush hour as this morning was literally the worst experience I've ever had in the 14 years I've been driving. People pulling in and out of lanes without looking not to mention failing to indicate and what really bugs me is the tailgating as mentioned already here. Saw two crashes on the link today- one at approx 8.15am on Sarsfield road flyover- a single vehicle black Audi- then at approx 3.15pm two cars collided at the barrier westbound just beyond that same slip road. Where are the traffic corps? I have never seen Gaurds patrolling this road at busy times and I'm on it everyday- every Monday- Friday during rush hour!
    Personally feel the volume of cars on it at times is too high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

yup was a nightmare this morning. Big thing for me was that people weren't slowing their speed to suit conditions. I was heading eastbound at around 8.45 and the rain was really starting to come down, traffic was heavy and visibility was very poor from the spray from the standing water on the bridges, yet people were still thundering along at 120+ and braking late... insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yup was a nightmare this morning. Big thing for me was that people weren't slowing their speed to suit conditions. I was heading eastbound at around 8.45 and the rain was really starting to come down, traffic was heavy and visibility was very poor from the spray from the standing water on the bridges, yet people were still thundering along at 120+ and braking late... insanity.

+1

out of curiosity, does anyone know whether the newly laid tarmac on the South Ring would have a negative impact on things like traction/braking at speed possibly resulting in skidding when cars braking too late?

But yes KCAccidental, I agree with you, the Irish driver tends to be unable to adjust their driving to the conditions (some of them anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I agree with you, the Irish driver tends to be unable to adjust their driving to the conditions (some of them anyway).
    Is that limited to the Irish driver? From driving in the US, UK, France and Canada; it's not limited to here IMO.

The biggest issue to me seems to be lack of enforcement. Just a few speed cameras at certain points on the South Link would resolve a lot of the issues. They don't even have to be functioning (if financial resources are an issue), just having them there would ease a lot of the careless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

koriko wrote: »
    then at approx 3.15pm two cars collided at the barrier westbound just beyond that same slip road.

I passed this one yesterday while I was heading east. It was a fairly empty road and I was in the overtaking lane about to overtake a nice big BMW jeep yoke. Nothing in front of her anywhere but she decides to pull into the overtaking lane right in front of me and slow from 100kmph-ish to about 20kmph-ish so she could get a good look at the crash forcing me to slam on my brakes and the car behind me also.
    Once past the crash she sped up again and moved back into the left lane. What a fooking tool.

Not slowing down in the rain is real Irish driver behaviour. Stopping distance doubles in heavy rain so basically it's madness and if you keep doing it you will crash at some point.

I find that Irish people go nuts when it rains. I think it's because extra people are getting lifts. People are late and so forth and they go nuts. Also, in heavy rain visibility is shocking so 120km +, in those conditions is as you say absolutely "insanity".

The tailgating is another nutty behaviour. I know it's kind of get of my way you're going too slow, or bullying basically but it really is crazy behaviour.

Another one is the road ragers. I have been driving for circa 20 Years and l've never been in an accident. I give way to nut cases which helps. But about 6 Months I have coming off the slip road at the magic in the Blackrock/tunnel direction and was going up the slip lane at a reasonable speed. there was a car coming over the flyover in the lane I needed to go into, but he kept going at my speed and never pulled over. In the end I literally ran out of road and had to pull out, I indicated. Yerman went absolutely nuts. Instead of pulling out he slammed on the brakes and tailgated me for about 1km, beeping his horn, fingers, the works. Which was obviously unpleasant and actually quite menacing and very dangerous so naturally I was very annoyed by the incident. I left him pass me out and he was still at the gestures as he passed me, he took the Mahon Point exit, which was my exit. The traffic was heavy as he bumped up to Mahon Point and I happened to end up parked beside him in the 2 queue's so I gave him a little beep to see who this tough guy in the car was. He looked over and realised it was the car he had been abusing and there wasn't a peep out of him until we drove off a minute later. I was seriously tempted to follow him into Mahon Point to ask him what all the abuse was about but I'm not Robocop so I left it off at that.

I really don't know what is going through these people's minds that they think that behaviour is acceptable towards another driver who has done nothing out of the way and obviously 99% ( say 1% are capable of it at any time) of the time you can only get away with behaviour in a vehicle, which is a lot of the big man syndrome that goes on in my opinion with driver behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

Ludo wrote: »
    I passed this one yesterday while I was heading east. It was a fairly empty road and I was in the overtaking lane about to overtake a nice big BMW jeep yoke. Nothing in front of her anywhere but she decides to pull into the overtaking lane right in front of me and slow from 100kmph-ish to about 20kmph-ish so she could get a good look at the crash forcing me to slam on my brakes and the car behind me also.
    Once past the crash she sped up again and moved back into the left lane. What a fooking tool.

You should get a dash cam and send this sort of stuff to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Is that limited to the Irish driver? From driving in the US, UK, France and Canada; it's not limited to here IMO.

The biggest issue to me seems to be lack of enforcement. Just a few speed cameras at certain points on the South Link would resolve a lot of the issues. They don't even have to be functioning (if financial resources are an issue), just having them there would ease a lot of the careless driving.

But to be fair, I don't see *that* many people speeding, the limit is 100 and most people are in and around that. The problem is people driving too close to the car in front and weaving in and out of traffic. They would need to reduce the speed limit at rush hour to 80 and enforce it strictly. I never see gardai on the N40, they're too busy catching people driving up the hard shoulder on the M8 coming up to Dunkettle

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

Not slowing down in the rain is real Irish driver behaviour. Stopping distance doubles in heavy rain so basically it's madness and if you keep doing it you will crash at some point.

I find that Irish people go nuts when it rains. I think it's because extra people are getting lifts. People are late and so forth and they go nuts. Also, in heavy rain visibility is shocking so 120km +, in those conditions is as you say absolutely "insanity".

The tailgating is another nutty behaviour. I know it's kind of get of my way you're going too slow, or bullying basically but it really is crazy behaviour.

Another one is the road ragers. I have been driving for circa 20 Years and l've never been in an accident. I give way to nut cases which helps. But about 6 Months I have coming off the slip road at the magic in the Blackrock/tunnel direction and was going up the slip lane at a reasonable speed. there was a car coming over the flyover in the lane I needed to go into, but he kept going at my speed and never pulled over. In the end I literally ran out of road and had to pull out, I indicated. Yerman went absolutely nuts. Instead of pulling out he slammed on the brakes and tailgated me for about 1km, beeping his horn, fingers, the works. Which was obviously unpleasant and actually quite menacing and very dangerous so naturally I was very annoyed by the incident. I left him pass me out and he was still at the gestures as he passed me, he took the Mahon Point exit, which was my exit. The traffic was heavy as he bumped up to Mahon Point and I happened to end up parked beside him in the 2 queue's so I gave him a little beep to see who this tough guy in the car was. He looked over and realised it was the car he had been abusing and there wasn't a peep out of him until we drove off a minute later. I was seriously tempted to follow him into Mahon Point to ask him what all the abuse was about but I'm not Robocop so I left it off at that.

I really don't know what is going through these people's minds that they think that behaviour is acceptable towards another driver who has done nothing out of the way and obviously 99% ( say 1% are capable of it at any time) of the time you can only get away with behaviour in a vehicle, which is a lot of the big man syndrome that goes on in my opinion with driver behaviour.

while agreeing that the drivers behaviour was well out of order, he wasn't obliged to pull over to allow you to access the lane, you have to yield to traffic on your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

sangsung wrote: »
    You should get a dash cam and send this sort of stuff to the guards.

Do many people have these now? I,v seen a couple of bikers with them alright but are they popular now?

• Advertisement

while agreeing that the drivers behaviour was well out of order, he wasn't obliged to pull over to allow you to access the lane, you have to yield to traffic on your right.

But its common courtesy to move and let others merge, some **** just love matching your speed so you cant merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

xabi wrote: »
    But its common courtesy to move and let others merge, some **** just love matching your speed so you cant merge.
    Slow down and move in behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

xabi wrote: »

again I'd agree that it is a courtesy to move but drivers on the slip roads also have to remember that firing on an indicator does not give you the right to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hahaha...good one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

But about 6 Months I have coming off the slip road at the magic in the Blackrock/tunnel direction and was going up the slip lane at a reasonable speed. there was a car coming over the flyover in the lane I needed to go into, but he kept going at my speed and never pulled over. In the end I literally ran out of road and had to pull out, I indicated
    That's a long enough stretch of road. Why didn't you indicate early, slow down, and move in behind him?

Not excusing his behavior.

Seriously annoying when people do this.

Seriously annoying when people do this.

Indeed, or be courteous and move over, it's not common in cork though, lots of ignorant drivers here. The amount of times drivers deliberately slow down or speed up to block mergers is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I am fed up to the teeth of the all jumping with considering on the kinsale road roundabout. has happened to me now more than once. drivers in the left lane crossing three lanes without indicators to get around. however the best one ive seen yet was in blackrock up by the ford centre heading to the venue pub. the traffic was backed up with traffic in both directions. some guy is a jeppy things could wait in traffic and decided to overtake against oncoming traffic. he couldn't go anywhere the cars coming against him couldn't go anywhere. the car behind him didn't move so he could have reversed back into his space in the queue. someone got out of a car to direct him back in but he refused to... just pure ignorance

• Advertisement

I suppose that's what he's thinking, he had a free lane to his right which l didn't mention.

I personally always pull out, as soon as the overtaking lane is free, for people coming off slip lanes.

Advertisement