Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peavey Vs behringer

Options
  • 21-01-2005 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

hey in buyin a new bass amp... whats better..

a behringer xs1200 ultrabass.. or a
    ...peavey 115 combo????

any advice is greatley appreciated..
    also is the ibanez srx 505 5 string bass good??? reviews seem pretty goood...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

<standard advice>Try and play both of them and decide which you prefer</standard advice>

Beyond that, I cannot help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Do you mean this Peavey and this Behringer?

The Peavey looks pretty expensive for what it is. Personally I'd hunt for a good second hand Trace Elliot amp or save up a bit longer and get an Ashdown MAG combo. If you are only starting off on the bass I would worry more about buying a good bass rather than a good amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

its much of a muchness but i'd deffinitly go with the PEAVEY/

However, it would make ALOT more sense to get this:
    http://www.academyofsound.com/aosdevshop/pages/shop_description.asp?productID=163

It would be way better than the other two and will end up being about the same price (or less) as that Peavey.

or this - http://www.academyofsound.com/aosdevshop/pages/shop_description.asp?productID=656 **even better value.

yeah, you're pretty much guaranteed that if you buy Ashdown to get something far nicer sounding than the Peavey. And Behringers are much, avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

so whats the best amp i can get around the 500 mark?

• Advertisement

personally I'd go with an Ashdown or an Ampeg over the Warwick. Warwick make great basses but there amps aren't as good as Ashdown and Ampeg. I've never played any SWR stuff so I can't comment on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

John2 wrote:
    I've never played any SWR stuff so I can't comment on that.
    its noice :cool:

i think i'll get a gallien kreuger... they make d best bass amps..eva...!!
    pricy though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Korvanica wrote:
    i think i'll get a gallien kreuger... they make d best bass amps..eva...!!
    pricy though......

Flea fan? :rolleyes:

GK actually have a preety crap reputation among most of the players I've spoken to. Cerainly their low and mid-range stuff doesn't get freat feedback at all. For €500 you're not going to get anything remarkable and persoanlly I think Ashdown or Peavey are the best in this area. Peavey have a "budget" reputation which isn't justified at all. I've played bass for 15 years and I've never played through a bad sounding Peavey. Nice gear, nice tone, reliable, nothing amazing but great deals for the money. I always liked the sound of Trace amps but they always seemed to break up at high volumes, it'd sound like shyt if you pushed the output past 8 and, maybe it's a rehearsal room thing, but I've encountered too many blown Trace speakers to ever have the confidence to buy one second hand. Ashdown are good, very good and the Mag range seems decent enough. Also, I'd steer you towards getting something with a 15" speaker rather than a 2X10", a 2X10" just doesn't have the punch of a 4x10" nor the meat of a 1x15" and can get lost when there's a full band playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

Well i own the behringer and for the price its amazing! Its not the loudest or best sounding amp i've ever played but its compact and great value. If you want a really good amp your taking big bucks so most amps in this price range would be a compromise. So i could argue that you could get the behringer to tide you over until you can afford something special. That or just wait till you have more cash at hand and get something nicer.

that ashdown looks sweet... and the price..omg

Advertisement