Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Bridal makeup

• 15-03-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭

So. I think I am going to do my own makeup. The reason being I rarely wear makeup and I am terrified of being caked in it on the day and not feeling like myself. I also can't find anyone to come to the venue (its remote).

If dressing up nowadays I normally just wear concealed, eyeliner, mascara and some lipstick but my skin isn't great so I would like a little more on the day.

Can anyone recommend someone good for a makeup lesson for a very natural look? Or should I go somewhere like space nk?

Oh yeah, my skin and eyes react to a lot of products as well btw...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Go to Mac or Inglot? Get them to do a natural look on you and then they will give you a sheet with what products to use and how to apply them on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

The MAC girls always seem way overdone to me. I need something very subtle. Haven't heard of inglot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

fits wrote: »
    The MAC girls always seem way overdone to me. I need something very subtle. Haven't heard of inglot.

Bobbi Brown is a good one for subtle.

Really though, imo the MAC girls have so much on to demo their skills and for it to show up well instore. Besides..when they have a lot of makeup to play around with, why not? I've had my makeup done by them a few times and find them very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

+1 for MAC. I got my make up there a few times
    Just tell the girls what sort of look your looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

If you're in Dublin, pop into Jess in The Body Shop on Grafton street. She did my make up for my wedding and I got so many compliments on it. Like you, I don't wear much and didn't want to be overdone. My eyes hurt with mascara and feel heavy, I didn't even feel like I was wearing make up on the day. She is great and so much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

+1 for Bobbi Brown, I got a lovely foundation there for my wedding. I'm quite pale, and I always found that when I went into MAC they had me orange! I've had good results at Clarins and Chanel counters also. Urban Decay have also started to have a good range of natural colours. My friend got her makeup done there recently and it was really nice. If you're very pale I think the foundation colours are a bit dark though.

pooch90 wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, pop into Jess in The Body Shop on Grafton street. She did my make up for my wedding and I got so many compliments on it. Like you, I don't wear much and didn't want to be overdone. My eyes hurt with mascara and feel heavy, I didn't even feel like I was wearing make up on the day. She is great and so much fun.

Sounds great. I wish I could find a make up artist like that.

Toots wrote: »
    +1 for Bobbi Brown, I got a lovely foundation there for my wedding. I'm quite pale, and I always found that when I went into MAC they had me orange! I've had good results at Clarins and Chanel counters also. Urban Decay have also started to have a good range of natural colours. My friend got her makeup done there recently and it was really nice. If you're very pale I think the foundation colours are a bit dark though.

Im very pale as well toots! Bobbi brown might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

If you're going to in Brown Thomas anyway have a look at NARS. Their new all day luminous weightless foundation is great. One pump will do your entire face and it doesn't look like you're wearing make up at all, just looks like your face has been gently airbrushed. It will last all day too. Their foundations are very suited to irish skin tones IMO. Bobbi Brown is mainly yellow based foundations which may not suit unless you have sallow undertones.

I had thought that about Bobbi brown. I have typical pale irish skin too. With brown hair and blue eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can't beat MAC. The girls on the counter really know their stuff and the make-up is brilliant. Just tell them the sort of look you want, and have a play with different looks. They won't put you wrong. I went to the MAC store in Carnaby St before I got married, and was made-up by an Irish guy who looked and sounded like a poor man's Graham Norton. He came out with some MAD combinations, but you know what? They worked!! Got every single one of the products he recommended...

Mind you - I have to wait until I go home to get make-up from MAC. Over here, I just can't find the colours to suit me. Same thing for Bobbi Brown, but can't comment on the make-up girls as I've never used them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I cant recommend someone but Gosh do a loverly brand of makeup the everyday wear stuff. It is lovely and light and last for ages..goes a long way too. Im pale and use the Pearl one, that and a bit of the bb cream works wonders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Would you use grabone online.. There is a makeup course going on this, one is in cork I am sure they have more around the country where you can go and do a Makeup masterclass.. It might be worth it to get a few tips.. Could be an hen idea too if they would do a big group together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I would also recommend Bobbi Brown if you're very pale. My sister's wedding makeup used a Bobbi Brown foundation and it suited her freckly, pinkish, uber pale skin perfectly (she has red hair and green eyes).

It was this one: http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/7637/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Skin-Foundation-SPF-15/Award-Winner/index.tmpl
    I ended up switching to that foundation, it was so lovely.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's the one I used (although my shade is Alabaster lol)! I also bought their Vitamin Enriched Face Base, admittedly because it smelled so amazing I was tempted to eat it, but I wore it under makeup a lot in the run up to the wedding, and I really noticed a difference in how long the makeup lasted when I used that.

I've heard that you should try and avoid foundations with an SPF in them for weddings, because you can get a sort of 'flare' type effect with flash photography. I never experienced it myself, although most of my photos were taken outdoors (apart from the church and cutting the cake) so I'm not sure if that would make a difference. But it's certainly something to bear in mind.

In case anyone's interested, I was having a rummage earlier on, and found the list I'd made of my makeup that I wore; most of this was stuff that I wore as 'every day' makeup, so I was comfortable putting it on, and fixing any potential boo-boos. It was in October 2010, so some of this might not be available anymore.

Base: Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base
    Foundation: Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Alabaster
    Powder: Mac Blot Pressed Blot Powder in Light
    Blush: Mac Mineralise Blush in Dainty
    Eyeshadow Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion
    Eyeshadows: (all Urban Decay from the book of shadows 3) Bordello - main colour, Psychedelic Sister - crease, Haight - lower lash line
    Eyeliner: Mac Fluidline in Blacktrack (good and waterproof!)
    Mascara: Bobbi Brown (I didn't write down which one, but I know it was waterproof)
    Eyebrows: my eyebrows are really black, so I just used a teeny bit of eyeshadow through them, it was another Bobbi Brown, I think the colour was called either Saddle or Mahogany
    Lips: Body Shop Lip & Cheek Stain (can't remember which colour, it was a really red one)

then I used that Mac Fix+ spray to set it all. I've no idea whether or not it really helps set the makeup, but thought it couldn't hurt. The only touch ups I had to do all day was top up the lip stain and powder the old T zone twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingaling

That's a great point about the SPF Toots - hadn't heard that before.

I'm definitely in the Bobbi Brown camp, I wear very little make up so love their natural looking ethos.

Also, definitely worth giving them a buzz to ask about make-up lessons. Here (London) they offer a totally free one hour 'Bridal Make Up' lesson. No 'redeemable fee' or obligation to purchase. I've mine booked in for next week so can report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm pretty sure the spf thing is only a big issue if you're using a camera phone or point and shoot. Open to correction, but I think on the kind of kit a pro would be using it doesn't make much difference (as in with spf 15-20 that's most common in foundations here. I would steer clear of spf 50 that said). Might be an idea to have your pic taken in a few different lights and/or with a good quality camera to make sure you're happy with it.
    If you do a search on YouTube youll find loads of tutorials and product recommendations. You might get some ideas to help you steer your lesson. I saw this yesterday and thought it might be useful here :)
    https://youtu.be/YoNUw2e0E9w

Gingaling wrote: »
    Also, definitely worth giving them a buzz to ask about make-up lessons. Here (London) they offer a totally free one hour 'Bridal Make Up' lesson. No 'redeemable fee' or obligation to purchase. I've mine booked in for next week so can report back.

Please do! I might try that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

There are lots of youtube tutorials on bridal and natural make-up. Personally I wouldn't recommend MAC if you're looking for a natural look, I've had make-up done with them and always looks like it's plastered on, the same goes for friends that have their make-up done there...
    If you're looking for natural in BT, you could also try the Bare-minerals brand. Main thing would be to have all the trials done before the big day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another pale one here that uses Bobbi Brown (and the Skin Foundation in particular) - I'm Porcelain during the winter and Warm Ivory for the rest of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I am very pale and Lancome is the only brand I've found do a shade pale enough for me and I wore one of my Lancome foundations for my wedding (my sister did my make up) and it lasted from about 4pm to 5am with no touch ups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Leo12

Why not go to Boots and ask them for their Match Made Service? They use a special device that takes readings of your face (without make-up) and then match your skin tone to one of their foundations. From this you can then get concealers and the right shade of lipstick too that matches your skin tone? Their No.7 highlighting stick would work lovely too on a Irish complexion. And the service is free ! Best of luck.

Tbh. I am sort of hoping not to use foundation at all if the skin is in good enough nick. I haven't put on foundation in a few years. I will use some primer and contouring and concealing products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

In brown Thomas in Dublin Caoimhe is a senior make up artist in Armani. She is honestly brilliant. She also does a lot of bridal make up and prefers the natural look. She'd go a lesson with you and its all redeemable. Armani dont advertise but their foundation is one of the top selling in the world. I love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Tbh. I am sort of hoping not to use foundation at all if the skin is in good enough nick. I haven't put on foundation in a few years. I will use some primer and contouring and concealing products.

Definitely wear makeup on the day. Any imperfection will show up in the photos. You can get quite light foundation. I'd suggest Bobbi Brown 1st and MAC 2nd. Bobbi Brown overall look would be more natural and the counter tends to be less hectic than MAC. I'd suggest a makeup lesson with them and then search around YouTube for tutorials.

Larianne wrote: »
    Definitely wear makeup on the day. .

I don't have to definitely do anything. As I said I will use products but not necessarily foundation if I can get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't have to definitely do anything. As I said I will use products but not necessarily foundation if I can get away with it.

No, I guess you don't definitely but as someone who has worked in the area, I would suggest it. Ultimately it's your day and you can do what you want. Once you are comfortable doesnt it matter what anyone advises you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

I did my own make-up for my wedding a few weeks ago. I went into BT and went to Chanel as I use their stuff normally but I didn't really like it so I went into House of Fraser and got a trial done in Yves Saint Laurent using the new touché éclat foundation and I absolutely loved it. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff but it was so nice and light on my skin and no rash after using it. I brought a picture in with me that I liked and she did it to suit my own colouring, I bought all the stuff and practiced at home and then a few days before the wedding I went back in and she did another free trial for me and I took a few notes. Really preferred doing my own, at least you know what way you prefer it yourself!

Cheers snoopy. You know I was thinking about the foundation thing and can honestly say I don't prefer photos of myself with foundation on. And I have gotten make up applied professionally a few times recently. I just don't really like the stuff. Of course I could get a breakout and ill have to wear it but we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Just give yourself plenty of time weeks before the wedding to try out different types of whatever product you want to use so if you do have a break out there is plenty of time for it to be cleared up before the day.

Have you thought about mineral foundation fits? It's powder based so easier to do yourself and doesn't feel like make up

Have you thought about mineral foundation fits? It's powder based so easier to do yourself and doesn't feel like make up

I've used it before, yeah. Everyday minerals. don't use anything much these days now.

I've used it before, yeah. Everyday minerals. don't use anything much these days now.

Was thinking it's a solution if you don't want to wear foundation per say but have something. I don't know if you're wearing tan but I sometimes put a little on my face and find I need no foundation then. I put it on my face for 20 minutes to develop and it lasts the day rather than the 4 days but it means I'm sure it won't go wrong.

No tan either ! oh it'll be fine, ill figure something out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Great idea. My best friend got married the year before last and the two of us went to a make-up lesson. She wanted to go to Bare Minerals, so that's where we went. Wouldn't be my first choice, but was fine!

It worth going into Brown Thomas and asking the counter staff to give you samples of foundation, most of the higher end ones will no bother. And explain it's for you wedding and they should be extra helpful :)

I like Bobbi Brown foundation, the shade "Sand" is the best matched foundation shade to my skin tone that I have ever used. I have very pale, but slightly yellowish skin. Only worry about Skin Foundation is I find it kind of melts off your skin easily, doesn't have great staying power! Might be annoying for the wedding. But I reckon it depends completely on your skin type. However, if you say that you are not into wearing foundation, it will probably be perfect! Very natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingaling

Please do! I might try that!

So I had my Bobbi Brown appointment yesterday. When I got there, they told me the split the bridal make up into two sessions, so you get an hour for foundation and skin and an hour for eyes!

Yesterday was the 'skin' day. I don't normally wear much make up at all, so I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of products used (particularly in terms of prepping the skin!), but I have to say, it looked really fresh and natural in the end, and it lasted all day. There was no pressure to buy, but I get the foundation they used. Mine was running out and I made the appointment with that in mind! My eye appointment got booked in for after Easter.

I'm not sure if it's convinced me to do my own make-up for the wedding (I think I'd have a lot of practicing to do!) , but maybe it's persuaded me to take a bit more care with my makeup day to day!

I had an hour long session with bobbi brown yesterday also. They did a fab job and I was super impressed. The makeup artist I had really listened to me. Not sure I can replicate it though!

I had an hour long session with bobbi brown yesterday also. They did a fab job and I was super impressed. The makeup artist I had really listened to me. Not sure I can replicate it though!

Does she do private appointments? A lot do in the counters

Does she do private appointments? A lot do in the counters

I asked but no. I might try the girls in galway as its closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I asked but no. I might try the girls in galway as its closer.

Just a tip on picking someone, I tried to find the most experienced makeup person, so basically approached the oldest person behind the counter! (Probably totally agist!). I had my makeup done before and found the younger the person, the more overdone I felt. They used every thing they had in their arsenal, where the older person had gotten that out if the system and only used a handful of things. Advised me on brow shaping as well, and where to get a decent lash tint, which I found helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement