Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC 240mb/s + unlimited mobile calls €45

• 02-01-2015 1:06pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like UPC have increased the 200mb/s to 240mb/s, dropped the price and now include unlimited landline and mobile calls anytime for €45

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/

The products seem to now be:

240mb/s - unlimited anytime mobile and landline calls - €45
    120mb/s - unlimited anytime landline calls - €40
    60mb/s - home phone (no calls included) - €35

All prices are the regular prices after 4 month introductory prices. No indication of upload speeds.

All good news.

However confusingly I got an email from UPC saying that my 120mb/s broadband was increasing from €44 to €45!!! Obviously I'll be contacting them and either switching down to 120mb/s for €40 or upgrade to the 240mb/s for the same money!!

EDIT: Yup, just got a second email from UPC saying that I can opt to auto-upgrade (for €45) to the 240mb/s BB package. I hadn't contacted them yet. I also assume I can downgrade to the 60 or cheaper 120 packages, though in fairness €45 for 240mb/s isn't bad at all.

Don't forget to always check what is available and not just accept price increases.

I think the one area UPC remains weak is the entry level product. I really think they need to make it 100/20 to match Vodafones €35 VDSL product.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Did they increase the upload speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just checked mine there. I'm paying €52.50 for 120mb and anytime world. Wonder will i be able to upgrade and save a few quid.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Did they increase the upload speed?

Unfortunately the site doesn't give upload speeds.

However they recently unofficially increased the 120/10 to 120/12 and 200/10 to 200/20, so I assume that was in preparation for this upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

UPC.ie doesn't seem to be loading for me anymore. It was working a few minutes ago.

Anyone else having issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

:(
    Thor wrote: »
    UPC.ie doesn't seem to be loading for me anymore. It was working a few minutes ago.

Anyone else having issues?

Yeah I am having issues here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    :(

Yeah I am having issues here too.

yep down for me also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup, their site seems to have been hammered and is now down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

UPC or Vodafone.

Just moved into a new house and don't know who to go with for unlimited broadband only :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i also haven't received any email yet

UPC or Vodafone.

Just moved into a new house and don't know who to go with for unlimited broadband only :confused:

Vodafone isn't unlimited, they have a fair usage policy of 300GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Vodafone isn't unlimited, they have a fair usage policy of 300GB.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

I left out very important detail: Vodafone charge €1 for 10GB you exceed the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drip feeding us up to the max of DOCSIS3.0, gives them plenty of time to implement 3.1. VDSL2 is great and all that, but I'm never moving outside of the UPC coverage map, it just cant compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

This is the email offer that I was sent.

333476.png

I rang them up to sort out getting the offer, but alas, it doesn't exists. I was told it would actually cost extra per month. The whole no Monthly additional cost means something different to the folks at UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yup... got those emails as well.
    Increase of €10 a month but to "make up" for that i get another 150 mins.
    Cute... but the only times the phone is used when it is one of those scam callers dialing my number.

Increase my BB speed?
    Also not going to happen as the part of the world i live in, was actually one of the first areas that had UPC broadband. Max the infra structure can handle in this part is 30 mb.
    And their focus is on getting more area's not on improving the ones they already have

So for quite a few years i am paying for 50 or 60 mb and get 30.
    To make up for that difference i do get a loyalty discount (this year i had th btsports pack for free) but every single year it is the same horrible stiroy of having to call them, tell them to disconnect everything then unless i can get X.Y or Z

It is just so tiresome because at the same time my car insurance needs renewal and there it is the same story of calling, telling them i go elsewhere et cetra.

Sorry for this rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm a happy enough Vodafone customer with 100/20Mb but this is good news for the consumers regardless!

240/20 is pretty amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I just got a mail today advising prices were going up by €2 a month, I have the broadband and the phone with them but no TV package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

I'm a happy enough Vodafone customer with 100/20Mb but this is good news for the consumers regardless!

240/20 is pretty amazing!

My advice would be stay with vodafone, i have the 200mb package from upc and as soon as it hits 6pm my speeds just drop sometimes to under 60mb

4028838151.png

ran this wired into the router using a cat6 cable

Its worth noting that Ookla designed their servers for tests up to 100mb, after that they may be unreliable and generally can be overloaded too.

Join samknows for some accurate monitoring if you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

pm. wrote: »
    My advice would be stay with vodafone, i have the 200mb package from upc and as soon as it hits 6pm my speeds just drop sometimes to under 60mb

4028838151.png

ran this wired into the router using a cat6 cable

Those are very patchy speeds alright.

As ED E has recommended, join SamKnows for a more accurate broadband measurement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

At what download speed would UPC need to issue new modems to those with tge current latest generation? Does tge current latest model go all tge way to 1Gbps?

murphaph wrote: »
    At what download speed would UPC need to issue new modems to those with tge current latest generation? Does tge current latest model go all tge way to 1Gbps?

They can get to around 450mbps depending on bands and encoding schemes. Then they need ti move to 3.1 kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

ED E wrote: »
    Drip feeding us up to the max of DOCSIS3.0, gives them plenty of time to implement 3.1. VDSL2 is great and all that, but I'm never moving outside of the UPC coverage map, it just cant compete.

ED E,
    What does that mean? I presume this has tpo do with the bandwidth. What is the max download UPC can provide their customers? If they are at 240 now, what is the max they can achieve?

regedit wrote: »
    ED E,
    What does that mean? I presume this has tpo do with the bandwidth. What is the max download UPC can provide their customers? If they are at 240 now, what is the max they can achieve?

I believe 240mb/s is approaching the limits of the existing deployed DOCSIS 3.0 modems.

I believe they can go up to 500mb/s with new DOCSIS 3.0 modems with more channels supported. I think they are trialling this in some cities in Poland already.

With DOCSIS 3.1 modems they should be able support 1GB/s or maybe even faster in future.

To show how impressive this 240mb/s speed is, the highest they support in their home market of the Netherlands is 200mb/s, in the UK the fastest speed is 150mb/s!

We are surpassing countries like the Netherlands and the UK, awesome.

VDSL can't compete with this at all. Only FTTH can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Anyone know if the Cisco 3925 will work with the new speeds or are they going to force me to "upgrade" to a modem that doesn't allow bridge mode or, god forbid, a Horizon box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cisco 3925 is an ED3 modem so will work.

Anyone know if the Cisco 3925 will work with the new speeds or are they going to force me to "upgrade" to a modem that doesn't allow bridge mode or, god forbid, a Horizon box?
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cisco 3925 is an ED3 modem so will work.

As above its compatible. We'll probably be able to keep them for ~1yr or so I'd guess, after this upgrade they'll have another 6 months of no changes until the next boost. If at that point its a little higher again then the cisco would keep up, but whenever the big jump to 3.1 comes then we have to get rid of it. Hopefully by then the 7200 will be history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

As above its compatible. We'll probably be able to keep them for ~1yr or so I'd guess, after this upgrade they'll have another 6 months of no changes until the next boost. If at that point its a little higher again then the cisco would keep up, but whenever the big jump to 3.1 comes then we have to get rid of it. Hopefully by then the 7200 will be history.

Good to know.

For those that don't know what Bridging is... Its ironic that despite the 3925 being a POS, because of its Bridging ability, I'd hold it over my head like Charlton Heston with a Rifle at an NRA meeting while shouting, "From my Cold Dead Hands......".

I'll have to research this new offer. I've no reason to want to leave UPC for the foreseeable so the contract renewal doesn't bother me. Been caught out on mobile phone calls so the €45 240mb bundle despite costing more than my current 120mb will save me money probably.

Not worried about 3.1 modem requiring speeds for a good while yet. TBH I don't even need the 240mb. 7 adult heavy internet users in our household all streaming and youtubing and torrenting and even the 120mb never seemed to buckle under the strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

What about the feature where you can register and be able to use wifi off any upc source. If im paying for a premium package, why should anyone else be able to piggy back of my connection?

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    What about the feature where you can register and be able to use wifi off any upc source. If im paying for a premium package, why should anyone else be able to piggy back of my connection?

So that you can piggyback on their network when you are out and about (and even potentially abroad as it is expanded across UPC's international network).

It limits "guest" users to just 2mb/s, so it isn't exactly taking a lot of your bandwidth.

You can opt out of it if you don't like it.

Is anyone actually hitting this speed now (240mb)? I restarted the router and im hitting just over 200 4034758030.png

When evening comes my speeds can drop as low as 60mb wired anyone else get this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

When evening comes my speeds can drop as low as 60mb wired anyone else get this ?

AFAIK UPC's residential service is contended, no?

AFAIK UPC's residential service is contended, no?

Shouldnt be.

The test servers or the links to them are busy, but the last mile shouldnt be and most likely aren't.

Seems to be working fine on real world tests at least. I can't comment on speedtest results.

Taken just now:

2itg93.jpg

edit: UPC speedtest

2je76nt.jpg

Shouldnt be.

The test servers or the links to them are busy, but the last mile shouldnt be and most likely aren't.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/upc-ordered-to-drop-fastest-broadband-claim-from-adverts-345868-Feb2012/

Has anything changed since 2012?

Their business service also seems to be contended.

http://business.upc.ie/customerservice/

• Advertisement

Thats misleading reporting as I understand their network. Co-AX cable is used in shared medium design, similar to GPON with fibre to the home. But at 8-1 I and all my neighbours can pull 200Mb concurrently without overloading the node.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Seems to be working fine on real world tests at least. I can't comment on speedtest results.
    Interesting that the upload is 24Mbit/s ... I couldn't find any info online about that. I'm not fussed about the extra 40 download, but extra upload speed is always good.

BTW when did you order it and how long did it take to become active? I did mine on-line this morning and got an email back saying they'd contact me (no indication of how) in 1-2 days, although I'm not sure why they'd need to. I'm an existing customer so it should be simply a case of changing a setting.

Thats misleading reporting as I understand their network. Co-AX cable is used in shared medium design, similar to GPON with fibre to the home. But at 8-1 I and all my neighbours can pull 200Mb concurrently without overloading the node.

Care to expand? I can't find the original complaint so don't know whether 8:1 refers to actual theoretical throughput or just how the network is designed. Bit odd of UPC to say they have a contention ratio if they actually don't.

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting that the upload is 24Mbit/s ... I couldn't find any info online about that. I'm not fussed about the extra 40 download, but extra upload speed is always good.

BTW when did you order it and how long did it take to become active? I did mine on-line this morning and got an email back saying they'd contact me (no indication of how) in 1-2 days, although I'm not sure why they'd need to. I'm an existing customer so it should be simply a case of changing a setting.

I rang sales about 1.30 today and the speed was increased by 1.45.

Same as that. I am happy with the upload speed increase. Apparently the upload was increased to 20Mb in early November. I only noticed it a few days ago.

goleniewski_fig12-04.jpg

This gives a sort of idea of how it works. In reality theres no satellite there now, thats MMDS which is legacy now.

On each co-ax run you can have up to 8 homes is what UPC say, but each home can only subscribe to 240Mbps currently. The CMTS can handle 2Gbps (probably more) and in any case each user has say 4 or 8 channels assigned to them. So the usage of one premises doesnt impact on another at all. They're all on different frequencies.

People on MMDS systems have contention from the CMTS onwards and thus will slow at peak load times, but thats why they only sell 20Mb or 30Mb to them. When those nodes get a fibre link then they can upgrade everyone to the 240Mb package(or below).

• Advertisement

This gives a sort of idea of how it works. In reality theres no satellite there now, thats MMDS which is legacy now.

On each co-ax run you can have up to 8 homes is what UPC say, but each home can only subscribe to 240Mbps currently. The CMTS can handle 2Gbps (probably more) and in any case each user has say 4 or 8 channels assigned to them. So the usage of one premises doesnt impact on another at all. They're all on different frequencies.

People on MMDS systems have contention from the CMTS onwards and thus will slow at peak load times, but thats why they only sell 20Mb or 30Mb to them. When those nodes get a fibre link then they can upgrade everyone to the 240Mb package(or below).

Thanks!

UPC should really be selling the fact that it's uncontended (for the most part), considering that the DSL providers love touting that part.

To be honest "uncontented" is misleading, the entire internet is contended!

Eircom's service is only uncontented on the copper telephone line as far as the VDSL cabinet. From their it is contented on the fibre backhaul with all the other VDSL users.

And there is nothing wrong with this, as long as the bandwidth demands and backhaul is well managed and upgraded on a timely basis, then no one should ever notice slowing down.

Even FTTH using the typical technology of GPON is contented, similar to how UPC cable is. Yet I don't think anyone would turn down a 1Gb/s FTTH GPON connection now would they.

On the whole, most people report excellent speeds on UPC, normally close to the max.

i reckon it is contented this morning my speed was 205mb just ran another speedtest on the upc site and i am now getting 33mb. i also called upc at 6pm for them to upgrade the line to 240mb

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 33429 kbps (4178.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 17650 kbps (2206.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 8 ms
    Jitter: 3 ms
    5/1/2015 19:02:12

also one from speedtest.net

4035898234.png

Download an iso from heanet for a real test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I rang sales about 1.30 today and the speed was increased by 1.45.

Same as that. I am happy with the upload speed increase. Apparently the upload was increased to 20Mb in early November. I only noticed it a few days ago.
    .. and there was me thinking that it'd be quicker to arrange it online. Silly me :) I've just rebooted my modem and I'm still on 200.

Download an iso from heanet for a real test.

could you link me the dl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I just got a mail today advising prices were going up by €2 a month, I have the broadband and the phone with them but no TV package.

Mine went up 1 euro 1 cent......same just BB and phone, I actually don't even know what speed I'm on (it certainly never goes above 100mb) on a supposed 120mb package

Signed for the new deal offer, was paying 43.99 .....now for 45 I get 240mb (allegedley)

could you link me the dl ?

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-cdimage/daily-live/20150105/vivid-desktop-amd64.iso

On a 120/12Mb connection:
    zt5G8kc.png

Peaked at 14.1~ MB/s which is 112.8Mbps, not bad considering my home server is running away and google music is streaming.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-cdimage/daily-live/20150105/vivid-desktop-amd64.iso

On a 120/12Mb connection:
    zt5G8kc.png

Peaked at 14.1~ MB/s which is 112.8Mbps, not bad considering my home server is running away and google music is streaming.

Thanks Ed E my speeds are jumping between 3.1 and 4.8 m/s what should my full speed be considering im on the 240/20 package

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

email from UPC today:

We’re writing to inform you that the price of your UPC service will go up by €2.01 a month from 1 February 2015 and will be reflected in your next bill. While a price rise is never welcome, it means that we can bring you even more of the best value and most exciting entertainment in 2015.
    Some of our Home Phone call rates will increase from 3 March 2015. You can find more details on these changes in the link below.
    We’re changing your UPC service and making it even better:

Faster Broadband Speeds
    From Summer 2015 we will be increasing the speed of your broadband from 200Mb to 240Mb, so you can experience uninterrupted HD video streaming, faster downloads and more people in your home can connect with more devices.

Why are they waiting until summer if the price increase is kicking it from Feb!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement