Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zyxel Eircom F1000 and Chromecast

Options
  • 22-12-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to set up a chrome cast here at home and having some trouble.

I understand that there won't be many people that have a direct experience with chromecast, but you can probably help me with the router settings.

After I got the error I got pointed to a webpage which told me to modify some settings on the router.
    https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3438461

Cliffnotes:
    1) Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on your router.
    No idea what this is or where I can do this. I went through the user manual, but can't find any mention to either. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

2) Enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) also known as Multicast on your router.
    Already enabled.

3) .NET 3.5 Framework needs to be Installed on your Windows Computer.
    I am using a macbook, so presume this doesn't apply to me? There's a specific chrome ast application for mac, so it wouldn't make sense to need .NET

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Turn off the router firewall also and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I'll give that a try later, but I it's not exactly a long term solution. I suppose if it works I can add the chromecast to an exception list or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Tried that, didn't work. Still the same error message.

Anyone know what the AP isolation / Client isolation is all about? How do I disable it on the this router?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

disable QoS. that should fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jimbling wrote: »
    Tried that, didn't work. Still the same error message.

Anyone know what the AP isolation / Client isolation is all about? How do I disable it on the this router?

Its in there on the D1000 somewhere, but not older eircom gear.

AFAIK there's a compatibility issue with the chromecast. Google needs to roll out an update to resolve this or it'll fail horribly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Same issues here...no idea how to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnA21

I have the ZyXel P-660HW-T1 v3 modem and I have been searching for hours for a solution to the same problem but I cannot get the Chromecast working. I am getting the feeling at this stage that my modem just wont work with the Chromecast. Can anyone confirm this, or is there a way to make it work?? My head is fried with it at this stage. Thanks in advance for any much needed help...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 knowmeansknow

Hey,
    Did you get the chromecast working? I didn't try it with the f1000 but I did get it working with another model in work. I was receiving the same error and it turned out that the chromecast doesn't play nice with 5ghz WiFi, once I used the 2.4ghz band all was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Change your wireless protocol to 80211b/g (2.4GHz)

Type in 192.168.1.254. click enter.
    username is admin. Password is printed on the back of the modem(wireless key).

When the modem page opens, you'll see 5 greyed boxes at the bottom of the screen.
    In the network setting box, click wireless. You will see a grey banner at the top of this page, click others.
    7th box down is 80211 mode. Typed in the box is 80211b/g/n mixed, change this to 80211b/g mixed and select apply.

That will set the wireless to 2.4GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thornthorn

JohnA21 wrote: »
    I have the ZyXel P-660HW-T1 v3 modem and I have been searching for hours for a solution to the same problem but I cannot get the Chromecast working. I am getting the feeling at this stage that my modem just wont work with the Chromecast. Can anyone confirm this, or is there a way to make it work?? My head is fried with it at this stage. Thanks in advance for any much needed help...

I'm also having this same issue. Did you get it to work or is all lost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Has anyone had any luck with setting up the chromecast on this router? I'm using the efibre f1000 modem.
    My wireless seems to be set to 2.4gh by default. It's still on 80211b/g/n mixed so I changed it to b/g mixed but still no joy.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of getting them working.
    Ive tried from my laptop and my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

disable QoS. that should fix it

This is what fixed the Wi-fi on the F1000 for me. There seems to be a glitch that stops the wi-fi routing internally to the LAN after a while. Wi-fi still routes to the internet, but LAN to Wi-fi communication is not possible. Once QoS is disabled it stops the issue occurring again.

Nate

Thanks Nate, it didn't fix my problem with the chromecast though.
    Any other suggestions from you or anyone else welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Apologies I probably should have been clearer - even though QoS is set on disabled, some of the QoS settings still are in effect.

Log into the modem, network settings > qos > class setup > EDIT RTSP and default from LAN to LOCAL, or just delete all settings in the QoS Class setup list

Nate

Apologies I probably should have been clearer - even though QoS is set on disabled, some of the QoS settings still are in effect.

Log into the modem, network settings > qos > class setup > EDIT RTSP and default from LAN to LOCAL, or just delete all settings in the QoS Class setup list

Nate

I gave this a shot but unfortunately got no joy. Thanks for replying though Nate.

Any other tips from you or anyone else gratefully appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

i got the chromecast today when i go to connect to the network after i put in the password i get this error
    the wi-fi networks for your chromecast(eircom 1234567)and this device (chromecast 8840 are different).after setup this device will be connected to eircom 1234567) so you can use your chromecast.

then it says could not connect to your chromecast make sure your chromecast is near be.the tv is right beside the router with the chromecast in the back of the tv???

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Nate

Hi sorry for bumping, I was following these steps to try and get my chromecast working and when trying to modify qos class settings I accidentally deleted them. ( with eircom on a zyxcel p660. Is this going to cause problems? What settings should I have for this? Not in my own house so I'd like to sort this! ( chromecast still not working either)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

change your modem eircom modems have problems with it

they say the new ones don't

but are still getting problems

my guess is chromecast has fixed ip address that you cant change

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

braddun wrote: »
    change your modem eircom modems have problems with it

they say the new ones don't

but are still getting problems

my guess is chromecast has fixed ip address that you cant change

Yeah looks like that, just down at parents house for christmas, works fine on my own fritzbox. What ive done already (deleting qos class settings) isnt going to make their wifi slower/less secure is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Yeah looks like that, just down at parents house for christmas, works fine on my own fritzbox. What ive done already (deleting qos class settings) isnt going to make their wifi slower/less secure is it?

chrome cast works on d1000 & f1000 (though its fussy)

chrome cast will not work on fibre (ftth) thomson trial modem - (no longer being made), p660 or netopia modems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

is there any solution to this?
    just got chromecast today and exact same issue has arisen.

dont know much about modems.

I'm with eircom,

my modem is 'zyxel'

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

Switching off IGMP Snooping in Networking -> Home Network is known to get Chromecast working on certain Zyxel routers. Also Static IP is a non starter, see chromecast . wikia . com / wiki / Known_Issues

Switching off IGMP Snooping in Networking -> Home Network is known to get Chromecast working on certain Zyxel routers. Also Static IP is a non starter, see chromecast . wikia . com / wiki / Known_Issues

How do I change that setting? Is it on eircom broadband website or where? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

How do I change that setting? Is it on eircom broadband website or where? Thanks

You need to use your browser to log on to your Eircom router to do this. Switching off IGMP snooping is done in the Home Networking settings as described above. The router address is usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254, try these in your browser. The router admin password should be on your router unless it was changed at some point.

sorry for my ignorance lads, I'm logged into my eircom router on my browser and can't find the IGMP snooping option anywhere, any ideas?

thanks so much

What is the precise model of the router? It should be on the case and/or in the web gui of the router. D1000? F1000? other?

What is the precise model of the router? It should be on the case and/or in the web gui of the router. D1000? F1000? other?

P660

P660

Sorry to say, I do not have a P660. I have the Zyxel F1000. Perhaps, someone with the P660 can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Have no problems using Chromecast on f1000, been working great with showbox on tablet for months. Films to Chromecast working great. Hven't changed any settings on f1000. Set it up for a friend on another f1000, no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

JohnA21 wrote: »

chromecast does not work on

Netopia
    p660 v3

both modems are too old.

chromecast works on

P660 IPv6
    D1000
    F1000

Advertisement