Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody bored of dating

Options
  • 17-06-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Any other single women out there bored of the same old grind of meeting someone, going out once or a few times, maybe sex, maybe not and then the ultimate fizzling out?

I’m 30 female, with the usual normal/desireable qualities of attractive, smart, good job, well-travelled, educated, and I couldn’t even tell you the amount of people I’ve dated since I started an odd 12 years ago or so. Single all this time. Just never met anyone who I clicked with enough to get into a relationship with. Never happened.

I’ve done a lot of the online thing (starting with POF etc, then more recently Tinder and the likes) and it all seems to go the exact same way to the point where I can’t get excited about meeting anyone anymore. I never have a bad date, probably because I’d chat to the wall and always find something interesting about the person I’m meeting.

Sometimes we hook up, sometimes we don’t. Sometimes there’s a second and third and maybe fourth date, sometimes there’s nothing. The other way I meet men is through friends, nights out etc - they tend to be brief hookups or slightly longer flirtations, resulting into nothing meaningful. Over the years I’ve chased very few men, always with disastrous results (they go with it because they can but ultimately ‘weren’t that into me’) so I’ve sort of stopped that too. Maybe my back up is a little on that front, but if I don’t see a bit of what I would deem reasonable effort from the early days, I get fed up and move on.

So that’s pretty much landed me here, 30 years old and a bit jaded by it all. Find it increasingly hard to imagine myself in a relationship at this stage, and getting exasperated by the “you’ll meet him when you least expect it!” brigade. What’s a girl to do? Do I need to just get offline and get a life? I don’t have too many hobbies to speak of, I’ve spent most of my twenties doing the career thing and travelling and getting to a place where I’m in a good place professionally and financially, but not a single man in sight! Well a few, but noone to write home about.

Anyone got any advice or insight? Do I have a neon flashing “TOO SINGLE DON’T BOTHER MAKING ANY REAL EFFORT!” sign on my head or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

Finally an honest and opinionated person. Lot of similarities to me in your post there. Well minus the hook ups but for the most part, I get the whole keep going you will find her when you least think you will and so on. Really shouldn't be this hard to find someone worth giving and sharing life with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Dating is the fun bit. Enjoy the ride. ;-) It's about meeting people and having fun.

If you are not enjoying it then it's not for you. Don't feel pressured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I've one reasonable question for you. WHY are you in such a rush?! You're thirty. It seems like you feel like you've exhausted every avenue, worn yourself out and now by your own admission you feel 'jaded'. What a terrible way to live. Why not just disengage from dating or anything else for now and give yourself some time off? It doesn't sound like you've a problem attracting guys at all, you sound lovely, so maybe just relax about it all and then kept things happen organically rather than making the same 'mistakes' repeatedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Augme

The qualities you listed about yourself are miles down the list of things I'd consider important about a partner. Most are in fact irrelevant. Being attract, smart, well-educated and having a good job tell me nothing about what you are like as a person or what you are like to spend time with. Now I know your post isn't a dating profile but the fact you list those qualities makes me think you deem them as very important. If these are the qualities you deem important then do you spend a lot of time talking about them or looking for them in other people?

The only aim of going on a date is to have fun. Everything else isn't important. If I have fun and laugh on a date then I consider it a successful date. Now there might not be any chemistry/attraction but that never bothers me once I have fun. Most people want to spend time with someone who is fun and not someone who is all work and no play.

You said you don't have any hobbies and you spend a lot of your time on your career and finances. What exactly would you talk about on a date? Or what kind of dates would you enjoy going on?

If you are feeling jaded about dating then I think it probably shows in your attitude and demeanour on dates. As LadyFenghaung said that dating is fun, it should only ever be fun. Once it stops becoming fun then you need to take and break and spend your time doing something else. Like you said you should dump the dating profiles and start doing something you'd enjoy doing in your free time. You'll then become happier and that might be a big help in changing your fortunes around when dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Augme wrote: »
    The qualities you listed about yourself are miles down the list of things I'd consider important about a partner. Most are in fact irrelevant. Being attract, smart, well-educated and having a good job tell me nothing about what you are like as a person or what you are like to spend time with. Now I know your post isn't a dating profile but the fact you list those qualities makes me think you deem them as very important. If these are the qualities you deem important then do you spend a lot of time talking about them or looking for them in other people?

Attractive - well, that’s a non-negotiable. I’ve done the “but he’s a really nice guy!” thing and ultimately the only person I was fooling was myself. You need this as a foundation to pursue anything with anyone, I don’t care what anyone says. I guess the key thing is attractive to YOU. My cup of tea isn’t necessarily everyone else’s, and vice versa. But yes, I need to want to get freaky with them.

Good job, educated, smart - relatively important. I guess it’s a ‘wave length’ thing. My friends and the people I spend time with aren’t all lawyers and doctors and rocket scientists, but they’re people with brains and ambitions, interesting opinions and views on the world. That would be important to me.

Honestly, above all else I’d just like a best mate I want to go to bed with. Someone kind and honest and loyal - tough traits to find in my experience. I meet so many time wasters, I don’t know if it’s because I’ve used online dating as a main avenue, but I find so many guys you meet that way just have this ‘next!’ mentality, or are looking for one thing, or are totally commitment-phobe and bolt the second you expect more from them than a random text on a boring sunday

I know I probably sound bitter and angry and high maintenance, I’m actually one of the friendliest, chattiest and laidback people you’ll meet. I get on with pretty much everyone, I have a good way with people in a general sense. When I was a bit younger I wore my heart on my sleeve a bit more, got my hopes dashed and was left disappointed a few times maybe and that’s made me feel jaded in the way that I do.

I know dating is supposed to be fun , and I’ve had fun over the years , I don't think I've ever had a bad date. We laugh, joke, flirt, poke fun at things. But nothing comes of it. And I'm all for having the craic, but as I veer into my 30s, I want more from life than a bottle of wine and a giggle and maybe a random shag with some anonymous bloke from the internet on a Friday night. I’d like someone to come home to. Someone to hang out with, someone to build a life with.

It seems to happen pretty easily around me. Or at least - people seem to have coupled up, or at least racked up a few relationships by this stage. And I haven’t. And the common denominator is obviously me. But I’m not entirely sure why, given that I have no facial deformities or diagnosable mental or psychological issues as it were :)

As to what's the rush - well, there's no real rush in the sense that I'm not working to any five year plan here or anything. I'm not sure I want marriage and babies, but it's hard to know about those things when you haven't even managed to call someone your boyfriend at the grand aul age of 30! I'd just like something meaningful, that;s all. I would like to meet someone and I can't pretend that I wouldn't. I've no trouble attracting men, I'd get checked out and complimented and chatted up as much as any woman who's relatively decent looking. It's progressing things beyond the realms of 'I've been on a few dates with this guy' that seems to be my hurdle. My mental block, my continuous failure, I don't know what you'd call it. My Waterloo! Aren't I a barrel of laughs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

but I find so many guys you meet that way just have this ‘next!’ mentality

That's very much the vibe you give off in your posts to me. That you view each date you're on as the one following the last and preceding the next. As you know yourself, it's quite off putting.

Honestly I think you should not date for a time. As you said, you're jaded, it's almost certainly coming across very clearly, and it will immediately mean guys think of the date(s) with you as the ones following the last and preceding the next.

Take a good long break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Hey op. I commend you on your dating! It's really great when people want to get out there and meet people! You sound like you have a good idea of who exactly you're looking for, someone loyal. You also can probably spot a time waster a mile away.

As you're so friendly and chatty, I'd say finding a hobby you really like would probably suit you better than online dating. You'll be having fun, meeting people of both sexes, and be able to create a real foundation of getting to know someone properly before you decide to date them! More chance of you meeting a 'best mate' then.

People here always recommend meetups. You could try sports such as climbing, kayaking....summer would be a great time to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Quick one for you OP.

For me, as a guy, I met a few of my last few gfs through a sports club that I was in. There were lots of weekends away and so I'd made friends and then that led to something else.

Do you have much going on hobby wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭giggle84

OP I could have written your exact post word for word this time last year.. I was in the exact same boat, same age and everything.

I know you said you hate people telling you about how you'll meet someone when you least expect it.. but it is sort of true sometimes!! It was for me anyway, I already knew my (now) boyfriend, he was right under my nose for a couple of years before we got together.

I think really all I can say is to relax about it, have fun dating or maybe take a break from it for a while if you're feeling a bit jaded. You sound like you're very realistic about it all though so this probably isn't new advice to you.

It's hard to meet someone, it's really really hard. But you will eventually, and when you do it will all make sense! You are exactly where you're meant to be right now :-)

Just want to say I can relate to what the OP is saying. I am a little older but I do think that the 'next' thing is very real. It's as if the men want to see what else is out there and it is beyond disappointing and frustrating. Maybe it's the way things are now but casual seems to be the only thing anyone is looking for.
    And I know I am generalising but I really can see how the OP feels. It's very hard to feel relaxed and positive when you keep getting let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

OP - maybe a move abroad and a new start will give you a new perspective and bring new opportunities. You sound like a lawyer or financial type in which case you're easily transferrable. If you're single, you've nothing to lose by moving to say, London. I was in a not dissimilar position to you not so long ago and the move changed my life - and then I met someone with whom I hope to spend it with.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was the exact same as you OP. I had no serious relationships really from 18 to 30 and then on a random night out where I ended up in Coppers I met my boyfriend. I can't give you any advice other than I think a lot of this stuff is pure chance. People will give you all sorts of advice but I wouldn't expect any of it to be much use to you.

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I found myself nodding along to most of it.

To answer a few -

Hobby wise no, not a lot going on. I’ve been the ‘career girl’ for most of my twenties and have been a bit bad socially over the years, which I’m sure has not helped my cause. I exercise quite a lot, currently training for an event, but tend to be that sole exerciser doing laps on a treadmill or running outside or whatever. I suppose I could join a running group or hiking group or something like that. I could also make more of an effort socially, with my friend and that - I work a lot, and very varied, very relentless hours. So it’s hard to coordinate that with any kind of a normal social life. I suppose it explains the investment in the online thing over the years.

I actually already live abroad, so this isn’t a ‘stuck in a rut in Ireland’ thing! Incidentally my love life was virtually nonexistent in Ireland, I found when I lived there there was no dating culture to speak of and I barely ever got approached outside of your usual drunken lout in a pub situation. I’ve also lived in a few countries at this stage, so maybe that change of social circle and change of surroundings might have contributed. I have a tendency to be a bit of a loner as a result. A great people person, but I can spend a lot of time on my own and tend to be very independent and sort of ‘used’ to doing things by myself. ‘Too single’ is what I think sometimes.

I wonder if all of that is coming across in my body language and maybe that’s making guys think I’m not available or not interested or not into dating them? I can be very flirty, but also very flighty too and I don’t let myself get my hopes up about guys these days as the disappointment when something just doesn't get off the ground gets tiresome. Maybe that reluctance to get too involved early on means there's not the usual momentum that builds when you're dating someone and things go nowhere.

ick. I dunno. I definitely think that I maybe need to get offline and invest more in my actual life. And drop the 'tough girl' act. Maybe that's the answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

It is an absolute lottery op but don't be downcast about others meeting partners left and right. Some people are happy with the local gaa lottery and some hold out for the euro millions (if you know what I mean). Don't drop your standards but do take a break from dating. I never met anyone when I was looking - it's one of those weird laws of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

OP, I really hear you, My lord, do I hear you...

My reality is dating is bloody awful...Its really hard to put yourself out there, and go on these dates and deal with whatever turns up. Some times its a nice conversation, sometimes its an awkward coffee. I think its hard to meet someone that you click with. When you like them, they dont like you...etc etc

I've done online dating, speed dating, tinder, blind dates, dates with friends, I've had significant relationships but nothing that has lasted. I'm into lots of different things, I play sports and I'm surrounded by men, all who sadly are married or in relationships.

Some times I think, why is it this hard to find someone who wants a long term partnership based on respect, love, emotional awareness and sharing. Beats me, I dont have the answer. I'm a little bit older than you, so my advice is to take it all with a pinch of salt, keep dating and getting out there, invest in yourself, take up hobbies that you like (not hobbies that you think there will be available men), go out with friends and enjoy your life, enjoy meeting men and women, enjoy your career, keep traveling.. Finding a partner seems to be a numbers game or luck....so not much point in getting bummed out (although I really do understand the bummed out bit, I go through phases of feeling very lonely and would love a partner) but I've decided that for me, maybe relationships arent for me, not everyone gets a chance to have a partnership or a family and I've mostly accepted thats whats going to happen as I'm pretty much out of time to have a family so I guess I lost out in the genetic race. You have to prepare yourself, that maybe there isnt anyone out there for you so you have to live a great life by yourself and for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Could I suggest that you take a different tactic on dating?

No expectations.

Why dont you build up something with someone? As in, build up a friendship/get to know them over a period of time. With NO expectations. And let something possibly grow from there.

At best, after getting to know them, you might like someone enough to be in a relationship. At worst, you could make a new friend/acquaintence (and they might have friends!)

You are putting huge pressure on yourself (and the guy) with these immediate expectations.

Im single also OP. I know what it can be like. But its a lot more fun when you take the expectations off the table ("after 3 dates, we should be exclusive." type things).

Youll actually ending holding all your own cards then, rather than letting people you are "dating" decide.

Try not to get too disheartened, OP. It's not so much a matter of meeting the right person, as much as meeting the right person at the right time- for you and for them.
    A lot of guys your age are simply playing the field, & will continue to do so for another 5-10 years before settling down. Have you considered dating someone older, who has "sown their wild oats"& is looking for the same things as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

You say that you come across as flirty and flighty and that many are hook ups straight away. All well and good if that is what you want but if you want a longer term partner that might reduce your chances of a guy who is also looking for that from asking you out / starting a relationship.

Of course it wouldn't put guys completely off but might be the difference between something starting and not.

My advice is to try and change slightly now that you are in your thirties. Don't be as flirtatious, try to become more of a listener and say less. Also, don't go to bed with guys until you are in a genuine relationship with them. This might be difficult but previous generations managed it. There are many many years to have sex in a committed relationship. You will probably find that many guys will lose interest in you straight away but you are finding that anyway.

The one unknown for me is that you are abroad and in many countries, this has to be a factor in your failure to meet a longer term partner.

Best of luck.

I'd have to agree with the above poster. I see very upfront flirty girls and I can see it puts men off, I personally wouldn't begin any flirtation til I had grown close enough and comfortable enough and felt i kind of fancied the person enough to steer the interactions in that way and if I thought the guy might like me, but would still be subtle about it. This might sound old fashioned, but I wouldn't even like a guy all flirty with me right away I would just think he's like that with everyone, and wouldn't know if he genuinely liked me.
    It might be coming across you are overly focused on finding someone. The girls that have trouble actually staying single are those who just don't care either way. It's like you are waiting for anyone to stick around. Well anyone who you find attractive. Just anyone at this stage so that you are in a relationship. Ok you may say that's not true but that's the vibe men will pick up when they're out with you, that you've done all this so many times, talk about what you do, they talk about what they do bleh bleh etc god it sounds exhausting! People will say be yourself, like you shouldnt change anything but has it been working? The women I know of that are always chased, never have trouble meeting someone all have this vibe when they go on a first date or when they just meet anyone really; they are friendly and open, but also seem a little detached, a little mysterious, quietly confident and who seems to be always busy and have something else going on, but more than that there's something that's different, that stands out. You may tick all the boxes but what is going to make someone stick around? It's like an x factor, something that stands out among all the average traits that make one a normal average person. Whether its a quirky sense of humour, a talent, a stunning smile or eyes that light up when speaking of something they're passionate about. what is the thing about you that marks you out? Find what you love about you and your life first, focus on that and then you will draw people to you rather than you looking for someone! When you come across as lookin for someone it puts too much pressure on that person, they just want to have fun and see what happens, and potentially be a bonus to your already great life, and you won't need them in order to be happy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yeah i'd say invest more in 'real life'. work is a great place to meet people especially considering the long hours spent there and therefore ample time to get to know someone before taking the plunge. Any prospects at work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I sympathise with the OP, and can certainly identify with her frustration - and that's coming from someone a fair bit older and totally jaded with the whole dating shizzle.

My advice - like previously suggested - is to remove the expectations whenever you go out on dates again.

Just go and have a laugh. Because, frankly, IME, the less of a f uck you give the less annoyed you ultimately get.

Mind you, I'm only a kick in the arse off 46, male and single, so don't be listening to me!

Hi, thanks to all for the continued advice and support. It makes me feel less crazy/weird/mad!

I’ve deleted all my online profiles etc in a bid to take the focus off that and put it more on my own social life. I just feel like the online thing is a road to nowhere except drunken hookups and flings that inevitably make me more frustrated.

Was at a house party last night where it dawned on me that it’s been so long since I’ve just been out socially with friends, non work and non online related. I’ve not been a great friend the last few years, always usurping social events for work and for my own time so I think that’s an area that I can definitely work on. I guess with that, my social circle might expand and that’s probably the way forward.

There’s no way of saying this without sounding massively conceited but I’d get a fair bit of attention when I’m out and about. I think a lot of men would find me attractive, but all that ever translates to is a bit of flirting, the odd hookup or just some weird sort of standoff where I can see some guy checking me out from afar and then later I’ll hear that he was into me. It’s weird. I think maybe my confidence is a bit shaky from the eternal singledom and the thought never occurs to me to approach, I’m so used to things going nowhere.

Work-wise - there’s always someone I’m interested in in the office. The perils of being single, eyes out of stalks all the time!! I just don’t consider it an avenue in which to meet someone though, it just seems to open up the door to so much awkwardness and weirdness and I don’t want to cross any boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Work-wise - there’s always someone I’m interested in in the office. The perils of being single, eyes out of stalks all the time!! I just don’t consider it an avenue in which to meet someone though, it just seems to open up the door to so much awkwardness and weirdness and I don’t want to cross any boundaries.

The last office event I was at, the hottest guy in the company literally stood beside me at every opportunity. I totally didnt notice at the time. It was hilarious. People were asking me who was the hot (new) guy standing beside me. Eventually we started chatting. Sound out. Makes me wonder though how many people I dont see.

This guy and I are now very friendly with each other, and have hung out since. Am not saying hes the one. But I may as well have fun getting to know him!

Youve got to open your eyes m'dear, take chances (want to go for a coffee sometime? need a lift?) and take the expectations off the table, and get to know 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

it dawned on me that it’s been so long since I’ve just been out socially with friends, non work and non online related. I’ve not been a great friend the last few years, always usurping social events for work and for my own time

Re turning down invites with friends/social circle that's ridiculous OP.....you're defo right to change that ASAP. Within reason you should accept every invitation that you get. I try to do that just to maintain friendships. If you always say No people stop asking, it's the way things are.

Re work - you shouldn't be discounting it !!! It took me relatively a long time to settle down - got married at 34 - compared to say my brother who got married at 26 to the girl he went to his Debs with or my sister who got married at 28 to her college boyfriend etc. But I eventually met him at work and we worked together for 2 years. Started as workplace slagging, then started to play on the work tag rugby team together (does your workplace have one of these by the way?) I'd highly recommend tag in general as a way to meet nice similar-minded guys that you would have a lot in common with. I mean that isn't the reason to play it but it's definitely an added benefit :-) after 1 year we were friends, after 2 we hooked up. Don't discount work!
    It's a great way to get to know someone slowly in a non-pressured environment. Be open to everything and to life in general!

Oh yeah it was me that made the life-altering move one day he was telling me he was going through a rough time and I said 'do you want to go for a pint some night for a chat about it?' I remember my heart thumping in my chest and I had sweaty palms saying it. 5.5 years, a wedding and a baby later I'm bloody glad I had the balls to say it!

How limited are you in the qualities of a guy? Say you meet someone who is giving funny, kind, makes you laugh, and you're attracted to them, but they don't have a job or don't have one as good as yours, would you rule them out immediately? I'm just wondering whether you need to widen your horizons a bit more.

My current GF of 2 years was telling me that she experienced something pretty during her early to mid 20's. She said she changed her dating outlook to try build a friendship first before taking it further. We went on a series of fun activity based dates early(bowling,mini golf, hill walk group tour. Think these helped as takes the focus off dates being full on intense face to face conversations like a bar first date, also helps build a rapport and helps creates stuff to bond over. For me I'd never dated someone before were alcohol wasnt involved in early dates, and while at the time I was personally a bit frustrated by how slow it was moving I'm now very thankful she did delay as we built a solid foundation to the relationship.

Think when people say short term relationships "fizzle out", a large number of times it means conversation topics just dry up and even if you may think you like the other person you avoid seeing them again as it may be too awkward. Happened to me a few times too in the past. So my advice would be as stated above to not let the right person potentially slip through your fingers by rushing things, and to try put all the early emphasis on trying to have as much innocent fun as possible and getting to know someone more gradually and naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

jimd2 wrote: »
    My advice is to try and change slightly now that you are in your thirties. Don't be as flirtatious, try to become more of a listener and say less. Also, don't go to bed with guys until you are in a genuine relationship with them. This might be difficult but previous generations managed it. There are many many years to have sex in a committed relationship. You will probably find that many guys will lose interest in you straight away but you are finding that anyway.
    Timtom2 wrote: »
    My current GF of 2 years was telling me that she experienced something pretty during her early to mid 20's. She said she changed her dating outlook to try build a friendship first before taking it further. We went on a series of fun activity based dates early(bowling,mini golf, hill walk group tour. Think these helped as takes the focus off dates being full on intense face to face conversations like a bar first date, also helps build a rapport and helps creates stuff to bond over. For me I'd never dated someone before were alcohol wasnt involved in early dates, and while at the time I was personally a bit frustrated by how slow it was moving I'm now very thankful she did delay as we built a solid foundation to the relationship.

Similar advice and good advice imho.

Timtom2 wrote: »

Think when people say short term relationships "fizzle out", a large number of times it means conversation topics just dry up and even if you may think you like the other person you avoid seeing them again as it may be too awkward. Happened to me a few times too in the past. So my advice would be as stated above to not let the right person potentially slip through your fingers by rushing things, and to try put all the early emphasis on trying to have as much innocent fun as possible and getting to know someone more gradually and naturally.

Thanks for this advice, I think it’s great.
    I so rarely actually make friends with guys - and when I think about it, I don’t have that many guy friends as it is either. I get on well with guys generally, work with lots of them, I’ve just always had girl friends and maybe it’s been my comfort zone. All girls school, lots of female relatives etc. I’m not sure how I’d go about changing that, maybe it’s contributing to the problem.

It tends to be very hook-uppy with guys I’m dating really quickly, and really once that happens it can leave you thinking, well we’ve done the sex part, where do we go from here? It kills the mystery and maybe the excitement of getting to know someone when that happens early on before you have any real emotional connection with someone. It’s sort of like a college / early-mid 20s habit I’ve maybe fallen into and it’s never really changed as I've gotten older. To be honest, booze is very often involved too and with that, all element of impulse control out the window.

I like the idea of going on activity-based dates like that and getting to know someone, instead of sitting across from them with a bottle of wine that gradually lowers your inhibitions so that all kinds of boundaries are crossed despite your best intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mangotracy

I agree with a lot of the other posters. Try a different tack altogether for a while.

Even just stop dating completely for 6 months. Just take yourself out of the picture.

Then join a few groups/hobbies whatever that have the kind of men you might like - but still don't get back to dating - just increase your circle of friends and have a laugh - stop with the pressure on yourself.

Also ask a couple of close and trusted friends what they think - do they think you're attracting the wrong men etc.

You really have a lot of time on your side - I found that it didn't matter how much dating I did - it was only when I relaxed and started to get to know guys without dating that I found myself getting quite flirty - and then suddenly on a roll after years in the wilderness, it can happen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

I find when you are looking you won't find as you have expectations etc.. It's normally when you are not looking you notice those people who sometimes are shockingly the oh so funny, genuinely nice and caring and funny etc.. I think as people we expect or want a certain type but in reality we are so different than the label our 'profile' gives us. So much more to everyone than that.. Sometimes you can be looking in the wrong places for the total gems that have always been there staring you in the eye.. Just , I guess, to stop for while take a moment to look at yourself ,what message that you yourself are portraying.
    I know even from personal experience guys that omit the... I want more or something, always does put me off ease and I'm sure it's the same sexes reversed.

Advertisement