Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Moving to an apartment where they do not provide service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 raymo18

Menas wrote: »
    So basically the 200 euro cancellation fee was offset by an earlier over charge? So you still paid the 200!

No I never did, think upc are alienating themselves on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Didn't UPC change the rule recently about moving and charging the 200 even if they cannot provide the service?

thats very convenient......for UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

suave.4u wrote: »
    thats very convenient......for UPC

The rule hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I am currently in this boat - let's see what happens...

Wait times on the phones are ridiculous so sent a mail to Resolutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Morzadec wrote: »

Do not pay it....ignore their letters. Sometimes life gets in the way, they are inflexible so you should play hardball. You will get debt collection letters but ignore them too, they have no legal rights to your money. They stop after a while. I have been through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@bmwguy - please do not advocate debt avoidance. It is not prudent advice and could leave the poster legally exposed.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What does your T&Cs state regarding moving to a new premises where UPC are unable to provide you with your services.?

Mine state that I'm still liable for the minimum period that's remaining in my contact.

I'd be asking for a good will gesture or loyalty gesture of free cancellation if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So they informed they that the €200 penalty would apply.

I do think this is crazy considering:

1. I'm not moving apartment of my own volition (landlord has told me I have to move) nor was I in any way expecting this

2. I am moving to a central Dublin location (Dublin 2) so the fact they don't have the service there is a bit mad

3. I made all honest attempts to keep the service with them going - it just is not possible. If they don't provide the service in the new address I think they need to take a share of the accountability for the contract having to end, especially given the location (not like I'm moving out to some remote area).

I just think it reflects really poorly on their brand. I have likely found a workaround with my landlord (who is moving back in) paying me for the rest of the contract but the point remains that it's poor form from UPC.

I was considering using their TV service in the future (it will become available in a few months) but now will steer clear of the brand in general.

I find it startling that their brand management people don't realise that this type of inflexibility, lack of understanding and lack of accountability will hurt them in the long term even if they do get their €200 cancellation fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I suppose if they did that, then everyone would claim to be moving down the country or emigrating when they want to get out of the contract.

It's unfortunate when people genuinely fall victim to circumstance outside their control but it's not an unreasonable policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Unfortunately as UPC themselves are not forcing you to move, you can't just decide that they can't enforce the contract you entered into.

If your move is being forced due to a landlord breaking a lease, maybe ask the landlord to compensate for the break fee.

But UPC don't have a universal service contract, hence not their issue.

As for them not providing a service - that's actually down to the builder of the apartments or the residents themselves in that one service supplier supplies all dwellings and installed the equipment to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So they informed they that the €200 penalty would apply.

I do think this is crazy considering:

1. I'm not moving apartment of my own volition (landlord has told me I have to move) nor was I in any way expecting this

2. I am moving to a central Dublin location (Dublin 2) so the fact they don't have the service there is a bit mad

3. I made all honest attempts to keep the service with them going - it just is not possible. If they don't provide the service in the new address I think they need to take a share of the accountability for the contract having to end, especially given the location (not like I'm moving out to some remote area).

I just think it reflects really poorly on their brand. I have likely found a workaround with my landlord (who is moving back in) paying me for the rest of the contract but the point remains that it's poor form from UPC.

I was considering using their TV service in the future (it will become available in a few months) but now will steer clear of the brand in general.

I find it startling that their brand management people don't realise that this type of inflexibility, lack of understanding and lack of accountability will hurt them in the long term even if they do get their €200 cancellation fee

Fool on you I'm afraid.

1. All ISPs bar magnet will do this to some degree. Most DSL operators charge an ECC of Monthly Rate x months left, so its smaller at end of contract than a 200E flat fee, but can be higher (500€+) at start of contract.

2. The reason they can't provide TV is most likely because they cant feasibly upgrade cabling in the new apartment building. Ask your management agency if UPC asked them installed cables and what their response was!

Sometimes life throws you a curveball, but theres nothing especially bad about UPC here.

Advertisement