Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: QUICK LAPTOP HELP

Options
  • 04-01-2008 4:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Things like fingerprint readers are absolutely pointless. I wouldn't make that the deciding point of your new laptop. Try mesh computers (based in england) or a sony laptop. You should be able to pick up a cracker of a laptop for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Couple of questions, what made you buy a Rock Laptop? How old is it and what exactly were the problems? (Also who's "The Guy" who can get almost any model of laptop!?)
    Anyways questions aside, €2000 will get you a lot of laptop. I suggest going to laptopsdirect to do some window shopping as they will have a lot of brands / models in that price range that you can look at and guage the spec's off (Wouldn't recommend you buy it there though, do a search of board for the horror stories)
    Once you have one in mind post it here and we can give you the thumbs up or down!

With Sony they charge a bit more for the "looks" of the machine. Are they overpriced , well thats another debate...but I would say yes they are slightly overpriced for what you get. But so are IBM's as they trade on the reliability of their systems and put a premium on that.
    I reckon if your after razzle dazzle get a Dell M1330 or XPS1730 as they should suit you down to the ground, also theirs www.alienware.ie which you should have a look at.

The Sony has a weak enough graphics card but the Asus Lambo looks very appealing! Nice specs on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

paleoboy wrote: »
    But obv more importantly id like to keep the 512 nvida 8600GT graphics and 4mb of ram ya know

Thanks very much

See, thats the problem - no offence, but you haven't even got a clue what you're buying. You shouldn't be so willing to throw away money! The 512mb 8600GT is a total gimmick, the card can't use that much memory and its DDR2 ram, a 256mb DDR3 card would wipe the floor with it.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_G1S_Gaming_Laptop_G1S-AK005C/version-1.asp

This laptop is far better for gaming then any of those previously listed. Or this one:

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_G2Sc_Gaming_Laptop_G2SC-7R024C/version-1.asp

The Sony won't be able to play any intensive new games - full stop. The Go7400 is incredibly weak - Call of Duty 4, Medal of Honor Airborne, Crysis, none of these games are playable even on low settings.

Finally - the Mesh one is good, best video card listed yet. Only 999 sterling? Good price too. that's the MSI laptop that can be easily overclocked too, I think...

• Advertisement

Slow HDD (4200 RPM) and a mediocre grpahics card for the price your paying. Bit of style over substance really.

The most "high" powered Sony ones would probably be 17" models which you state you don't want so you are limited to what specs they give for the 15.4" ones.
    The ones Havok recommended above (the Asus ones) are quite bling looking, good spec'd and withing your price range too.
    Short of that try mesh.co.uk, alienware.ie, and dell.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

paleoboy wrote: »
    http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=288808&APPS=234445

I like this too.. but im warming to the idea of a 13 inch screen like the sony.
    What ye reckon.. sorry for the many posts!

Of all the ones that have been listed, I'd probably go for this one. It's a pretty decent price, it looks good without being too ott and it is pretty high spec.

You won't get a good graphics card like the one in this mesh in a 13.3" laptop.

Advertisement