Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Moving to an apartment where they do not provide service

Options
  • 07-06-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everybody!

I would like you to help me and give me another point of view with an issue that I have with UPC. This is what happened:

- I signed a contract for broadband only with UPC in February.
    - I moved to another apartment the 4th of June. I was told by the Real Estate Agency that UPC provided service to the apartment.
    - I rang UPC customer service to move the broadband contract but it looks like they only provide TV for this building. I moved from Dublin 4 to Dublin 2 but I am literally 300 meter away from my old apartment.
    - UPC wants to charge me 200e for cancelling the contract with them because they can not offer me any other option.

So basically this is my problem. The Real Estate Agency told me that UPC provided service, but not the full service. Regarding UPC, that does not make much sense for me. I am not moving to the countryside. Am I supposed to decline an apartment because they do not provide service?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You signed a contract so you'll have to abide by the terms you agreed to. You could try to negotiate with UPC but since it's not UPC's fault you are moving out of coverage they're not obliged to let you off.

Are you really going to turn it down over €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 raymo18

hi

The same thing is happening to me but i`ll never use UPC again people be warned it`s a rip off 200 euro for nothing

I hate UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Short circuit this immediately, take them to court. I had a bad experience with them, being threatened with sheriffs and bad debt, the whole nine yards, don't waste anymore time, start proceedings immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Short circuit this immediately, take them to court. I had a bad experience with them, being threatened with sheriffs and bad debt, the whole nine yards, don't waste anymore time, start proceedings immediately.

On what grounds?

On what grounds?

Demanding money with menaces. These guys are hardchaws, they won't fold until you show them the writ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Demanding money with menaces. These guys are hardchaws, they won't fold until you show them the writ.

The OP signed a document agreeing to give them the money if a set of circumstances occured. They have, so they're entitled to the money.

The OP signed a document agreeing to give them the money if a set of circumstances occured. They have, so they're entitled to the money.

I had my case. I won. Argue it to a judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I had my case. I won. Argue it to a judge.

Were your circumstances identical to the OP and did you get costs as well?

Simple option for the OP is to go through the motions of "moving house" and transfer their account to the new address. It os then UPC's problem to provide the BB. Insist that you want to stay with them and it's up to them to provide the service. At that point you have a way out our a position to negotiate down the package you pay for. If UPC can't provide the service then the OP has a legitimate reason to cancel the contract or reduce the contract and use another BB supplier. Put the ball in UPC's court.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Were your circumstances identical to the OP and did you get costs as well?

Simple option for the OP is to go through the motions of "moving house" and transfer their account to the new address. It os then UPC's problem to provide the BB. Insist that you want to stay with them and it's up to them to provide the service. At that point you have a way out our a position to negotiate down the package you pay for. If UPC can't provide the service then the OP has a legitimate reason to cancel the contract or reduce the contract and use another BB supplier. Put the ball in UPC's court.
    Do you honestly think that UPC would not check that the new address is serviced before performing the transfer?

These are UPC's T&Cs. If these are also in the OPs contract then he has contractually agreed to abide by them unless he can get a court ruling declaring them unfair.
    2.6 If you move house, we will try, but shall be under no obligation, to provide you with the Services at your new address if it is within our serviceable area. You will still be liable to pay the applicable Charges in relation to the Minimum Period (as defined in paragraph 3) for the Services provided to your old address, even if you move from that address during the Minimum Period, or we do not provide you with the Services at your new address, or if your new address is outside our serviceable area. Where we are providing a Broadband Internet Service and you move to another address within our serviceable area, you must give us at least thirty (30) days’ notice if you wish us to provide such Service to your new address. Where we agree to provide the Services to your new address, you shall pay us the applicable transfer of service charge. Details of our transfer of service charge are set out in our Price List.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that UPC would not check that the new address is serviced before performing the transfer?

These are UPC's T&Cs. If these are also in the OPs contract then he has contractually agreed to abide by them unless he can get a court ruling declaring them unfair.

Clearly there are some services available so they OP could downgrade to those services and avoid the €200 fee that seems to almost a "flat" cancellation fee (or the figure that everybody talks about)? UPC have an interest in retaining customers. Kick up on social media is usually a good place to bring these issues.

• Advertisement

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Clearly there are some services available so they OP could downgrade to those services and avoid the €200 fee that seems to almost a "flat" cancellation fee (or the figure that everybody talks about)? UPC have an interest in retaining customers. Kick up on social media is usually a good place to bring these issues.
    The only service he could 'downgrade' to is TV. It's possible they could allow him switch to their TV service with no penalty but that would likely bind him to another minimum term and there may be other charges. Even a free transfer would be of little benefit if the OP doesn't want TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

What utter bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Tow

- I rang UPC customer service to move the broadband contract but it looks like they only provide TV for this building.

Have you actually tried your cable modem in the new apartment. Just because UPC's computer says they don't provide a service does not mean it does not exist in the area. I have seen several cases where internet was available and UPC said it was not.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

What stupidity. So your telling me you just have to say to UPC your moving out and theyll cancel your contract?

And better still you can bring them to court and they will somehow be liable for costs involved just because you decide to move.

What absolute stupidity.

Stop lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Digital Society If you can't post in a polite manner, then please don't post at all. Aggression like this will not be tolerated.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cordless

I just had the same experience.. I'm being charged an early contract termination fee because UPC can't install a new connection at my new apartment building. This is just ridiculous. And I can't believe this has been going on still. I wish I had read this thread 1 year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I really don't get why people think it is so ridiculous when UPC levy these fee's. You signed a legal document when you signed up guaranteeing UPC their fee for X amount of time. Now YOU want to get out of your obligations and UPC are offering you a reduced amount to do so (Assuming your bill * time left is less than 200 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cordless

They should realize that the reason I'm having to leave the contract is there inability to install a new connection at my new address. Otherwise I'd like to continue my contract. And I think they should assess each case of contract termination individually and waive the contract termination fee where the customer is forced to terminate the contract due to UPC's non coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

cordless wrote: »
    They should realize that the reason I'm having to leave the contract is there inability to install a new connection at my new address. Otherwise I'd like to continue my contract. And I think they should assess each case of contract termination individually and waive the contract termination fee where the customer is forced to terminate the contract due to UPC's non coverage.

UPC do not have to provide service to every address. Your contract if for your current address - and not for "any address you wish to nominate". So you are cancelling the contract because you no longer want the servcie at the address it was contracted to.

This is extremely clear in the T&C's as is the termination fee. And there is no "forcing because of non coverage" as the coverage is still available at the address the UPC contract is attached to.

Adsvice - read T&C's of contracts before signing especially the cancellation clause. Yes, its onerous, but can save you angst at a future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

Upc were recently forced to update their terms and conditions due to enforcement action from the EU. Hence if you took out a contract in the last 12 months, you may be able to cancel without incurring a fee. There's a number of threads going on in the talk to upc board if you want to check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

jhansynk10 wrote: »
    Upc were recently forced to update their terms and conditions due to enforcement action from the EU. Hence if you took out a contract in the last 12 months, you may be able to cancel without incurring a fee. There's a number of threads going on in the talk to upc board if you want to check it out.

That does not apply to UPC, just meteor and eircom.

UPC offered freely the information regarding the 14 day cooldown period, however, they were asked to clarify it.

Since the information was originally offered, the initial 14 day cooldown period stands and a second one is not required to be offered by UPC. Therefore a customer may not request a cancellation of their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 raymo18

Hello everybody!

I would like you to help me and give me another point of view with an issue that I have with UPC. This is what happened:

- I moved to another apartment the 4th of June. I was told by the Real Estate Agency that UPC provided service to the apartment.
    - I rang UPC customer service to move the broadband contract but it looks like they only provide TV for this building. I moved from Dublin 4 to Dublin 2 but I am literally 300 meter away from my old apartment.
    - UPC wants to charge me 200e for cancelling the contract with them because they can not offer me any other option.

So basically this is my problem. The Real Estate Agency told me that UPC provided service, but not the full service. Regarding UPC, that does not make much sense for me. I am not moving to the countryside. Am I supposed to decline an apartment because they do not provide service?

I had the same problem, but I cancelled my direct debit, told upc I wasn't paying the 200 euros on advice from my solicitor, plus they over charged me on the first bill which ment they had broken terms and conditions email them with all of the above just cleared the outstanding balance on my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

raymo18 wrote: »
    I had the same problem, but I cancelled my direct debit, told upc I wasn't paying the 200 euros on advice from my solicitor, plus they over charged me on the first bill which ment they had broken terms and conditions email them with all of the above just cleared the outstanding balance on my account.

I did the same, no problems and no debt collectors letters.

Their product is technically good, their customer service is awful.

They couldn't even arrange to collect the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

But if you ever want service again, they will refuse it. you also run the risk of the debt being sold and debt collectors chasing it. (unlikely now, but they have up to 6 years)

And do you REALLY think they believed the line "my solicitor told me" ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

So basically the 200 euro cancellation fee was offset by an earlier over charge? So you still paid the 200!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

delahuntv wrote: »
    But if you ever want service again, they will refuse it. you also run the risk of the debt being sold and debt collectors chasing it. (unlikely now, but they have up to 6 years)

And do you REALLY think they believed the line "my solicitor told me" ??????

No, I had no problems signing up at a new address either, UPC don't require identification when signing up.

Also no problems with Debt Collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Don't see how UPC are the problem here.

It's literally not their problem you moved into a property that does not have service. I literally won't use another supplier in the country bar UPC. I've found their customer service to be brilliant, and any major issues I've dealt with technically competant people who have resolved my issues quickly.

Eircom on the other hand, had court dealings with them.

Lesson learned here for OP. Estate agents or letting agents can talk a lot of nonsense. Maybe just because I have such a high reliance on the internet for work and entertainment and gaming, but anytime I've moved I've rang UPC to confirm service at the address I'm viewing.

Most ISP have a cancellation fee for exiting the contract early, it's not just a UPC thing.

You could get in touch with the estate agent to complain, but I'm sure they will outline that as far as they concerned UPC was available to the property, and they don't distuinguish with the products and services UPC do and do not provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

UPC have no problem cancelling a contract early without the €200 fee if they don't provide the service in the new location. My brother and one of my mates had to go through it. You just have to provide a copy of your new tenancy agreement to prove the new address.

Having said that the op can receive TV so that is why they are applying the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hello everybody!

Are you sure about this? 2 years back I was with UPC and moved to a new place. They checked whether the new address had UPC; it didn't have, so they cancelled it. I did not give them 28 days notice, so had to cough up 1 month charges.
    Worst case, just make up an address where you don't have any UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Didn't UPC change the rule recently about moving and charging the 200 even if they cannot provide the service?

Advertisement