Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp Blue screen of Death

• 03-01-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi,

my laptop got a bit of a knock yesterday and today when I try to boot into windows I have problems

sometimes when loading the BIOS gives an error

DECOMPILATION OR DISAMMEMBLY PROHIBITED

and other times it goes through the load process and at the end of that instead of going into the start screen I get the Blue screen giving a stop error

I cannot reinstall XP from start up with the disk as the BIOS dosent recognise the disk and goes through the load and I cannot get into safe mode, BIOS just skips it

any ideas,
    Ta

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it's a compaq have a look at this http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=14838

If the BIOS won't recognise the drive it's not a windows problem.

check the HDD hasn't slipped out of it's cradle ,
    use diags or try a bootable CD to make sure the rest of system is OK

which model of laptop ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

If you can get into the BIOS you should be able to change the boot sequence so you can boot to the CD and run some diagnostics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you can get into the BIOS you should be able to change the boot sequence so you can boot to the CD and run some diagnostics

I would also suggest trying a live Linux CD to see if everything else is all right. If it is, you may "only" need to replace the hard-drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

ok

so the laptop is a sony vaio,

Ive checked the hard-drive and RAM and both are securly in place and still the same errors occur.

I cant enter the BIOS to change the boot sequence, it boots straight past it and at times the laptop just hangs on the VAIO start screen on inital power up

The blue screen is

STOP : c000021a { Fatal System error}
    The window login process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000402 (0x000000000 0x000000000).

The system had been shut down

abakan wrote: »
    ok

so the laptop is a sony vaio,

Ive checked the hard-drive and RAM and both are securly in place and still the same errors occur.

I cant enter the BIOS to change the boot sequence, it boots straight past it and at times the laptop just hangs on the VAIO start screen on inital power up

The blue screen is

STOP : c000021a { Fatal System error}
    The window login process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000402 (0x000000000 0x000000000).

The system had been shut down

It may be booting too quickly for you to see the BIOS/Setup option! If you know which Fkey it is (F2, F6 or F12 usually), power it on and press the key about every second and see if you can get in that way!

• Advertisement

no joy there either,

just skips straight to the Windows loading screen, F2, F6,F8,F12 dosent work

Just keep getting that blue screen error

So do ya think I only need a new hard drive.

I have a validated copy of XP but I dont have the disk. do I have to buy a new copy of XP or can i get the disk of microsoft??

So do ya think I only need a new hard drive.

No, it's getting to boot Windows, so all may not be lost.

Try a repair install of Windows - you won't lose any data or programs.

no its just crashes before loading onto the start screen in windows and I cant access the BIOS before to get it to run the set up disk to repair Windows

Bit of a disaster really

I think I may have to get a new harddrive anyway, hope nothin else

no its just crashes before loading onto the start screen in windows and I cant access the BIOS before to get it to run the set up disk to repair Windows

I has confusion. :confused:

Do you see any Windows related information to suggest it is getting to the hard-drive?

If it is, then a repair should work. Try inserting some form of bootable CD (see above). You shouldn't have to go to the BIOS to do this, it should try the CD drive first.

If you can't get to the BIOS, you have bigger problems. If the BIOS is buggered, you may have to flash it.

tom dunne wrote: »
    I has confusion. :confused:

Do you see any Windows related information to suggest it is getting to the hard-drive?

Yes, it gets to the windows loading screen, with the horzintonal bar going over and back and crashes right before it asks you for your login details to enter the windows desktops screen.

So it is reading from the hard drive.
    If it is, then a repair should work. Try inserting some form of bootable CD (see above). You shouldn't have to go to the BIOS to do this, it should try the CD drive first.

when powering on Windows, with the bootable CD in, the cd spins, I can hear that, but skips right by it.

F2,F6,F8,F12 dont have a response.
    If you can't get to the BIOS, you have bigger problems. If the BIOS is buggered, you may have to flash it.

how do you Flash the BIOS

Ta

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote: »

Was thinking that myself! There has to be a way into the BIOS!

F2,F6,F8,F12 dont have a response.

Try F3 and the Del key. I think you are just missing it.
    how do you Flash the BIOS

Forget it. If you are having trouble with getting into the BIOS, you really, really don't want go consider flashing your BIOS. You can do some permanent damage to your laptop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

or press and hold F1 (or Esc or F2) when you switch it on , you are trying to get a keyboard error so the BIOS will say press "x" to enter

morning all,

That on my problem,

nothing seems to work, reinstall Cd, wont load, cant get into the BIOS by any of those methods above, laptop just skips it

Ill have to leave it in somewhere to maybe get the hard drive looked at, hopefully nothing to serious

Thanks all for replying
    Have a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Remove the power adaptor and the battery from the laptop.
    Connect only the power adaptor and press the on button on the laptop.
    Most machines unless they're powered down completely skip the bios option screen at start up, my procedure should provide a cold boot thus showing the bios option.

Most Sony machines use F2 or F3 though that may be different depending on the age of your machine.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe the RAM or some other component has been dislodged.

no there is deffo a problem with the BIOS or the POST process because when the screen comes the buttons on the keyboards dont work so cant access the BIOS

I think there is some sort of loose connection on the motherboard aswell because I have to life the screen up and down until the VAIO opening screen comes on.

screwie lappie. thats what a bang can do to it

Ta

Now that's given me an idea. Before Christmas, I was replacing a hard-drive on a friend's Sony and I had to remove the keyboard. There was a rather flimsy ribbon cable connecting the keyboard. I wonder has this come loose/fallen out on yours?

Does the keyboard respond at all? For example, when you press caps lock or num lock, do the respective lights come on? If not, this could be your problem.

Also, try an external keyboard.

Advertisement