Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a laptop ASAP!

• 02-01-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been asked to get somebody a laptop because a new upgrade for a program they use for wages will not work on W98, which they are using at the moment.

He needs it pretty urgently and because it's for business, I was advising them to get the 3 year next day on site warranty thingy mabob incase anything went wrong.

He's been on a windows 98 laptop that's nearly 10 years old at this stage so he doesn't require high spec, although since he's such a technophobe, it'd be best to get him a new machine that would do him for another few years, so a dvd writer would be handy. He's doing fine at the moment on less than 10GB HD space, and who knows what processor so basically, the cheapest machine he can get with built in wifi and a dvd writer would be more than enough I'm sure. He'll be using it plugged in all the time so battery isn't an issue either.

Just a few questions, I have an XP home OEM edition supplied with my Acer 5021 machine, would this be ok to install on ANY laptop? Also, if I get a generic XP OEM CD with a home version on it and use the Acer OEM product key, would this work (or is this illegal?).

If I buy a 2nd hand Dell off the likes of adverts.ie, if it was bought with an extended warranty, can that be transferred with the laptop and how can I confirm it still has warranty? If it doesn't have warranty, can this be bought on a 2nd hand laptop?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I have an XP home OEM edition supplied with my Acer 5021 machine, would this be ok to install on ANY laptop?
    Legally, no. There may also be software driver issues.
    if I get a generic XP OEM CD with a home version on it and use the Acer OEM product key, would this work
    Illegal.
    If it doesn't have warranty, can this be bought on a 2nd hand laptop?
    Most likely depends on the age of the laptop, if they sell them separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the info :)

Would my copy of XP home OEM for the acer be worth anything on it's own or to an Acer user if I was to sell it? Or is this illegal too?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cormie wrote: »

Would my copy of XP home OEM for the acer be worth anything on it's own or to an Acer user if I was to sell it? Or is this illegal too?

It can only be legally installed on the motherboard that it was first installed on. It has to be used on that acer even if you were to uninstall it. That is the nature of an oem version.

I think I'm going to get maybe this with a DVD burner and 3 year on site next day warranty.

Is the actual act of selling XP Home OEM without the laptop it was supplied with illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is the actual act of selling XP Home OEM without the laptop it was supplied with illegal?

As long as it isn't tied to another motherboard then it's fine. A brand new copy (from somewhere like komplett) is tied to the first motherboard it is installed on.

So if an OEM version of XP is installed on a laptop and then activated on that laptop, if it's installed and activated on another laptop, it'll be disabled or whatever might happen?

So if an OEM version of XP is installed on a laptop and then activated on that laptop, if it's installed and activated on another laptop, it'll be disabled or whatever might happen?

I don't know what will happen exactly in that situation but all I know is that the license forbids it.

That's a bit annoying. I take it that's not the same with the "retail" version, which I was given when I bought a laptop off the buyandsell years ago, and have installed it on about 3 seperate laptops I've upgraded to since then (not at the same time, just as I get the new ones, wipe the old and put it on the new).

Advertisement