Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone Towncentre granted new anchor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

Doesn't galway have a Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

cena wrote: »
    Doesn't galway have a Starbucks.

No thats buckfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Starbucks - overpriced crap coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I've never drank a Starbucks coffee so I can't comment on the quality of it. But what I don't like is how Starbucks seem to be slowly taking over the coffee shop market. I hope the independents can hold their own against them.

I've never drank a Starbucks coffee so I can't comment on the quality of it. But what I don't like is how Starbucks seem to be slowly taking over the coffee shop market. I hope the independents can hold their own against them.

Ireland will soon be like Canada or Washington state.
    Starbucks everywhere.

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Starbucks everywhere.
    Not a thought that appeals to me. Less competition in any market is never a good thing from a consumer point of view.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Starbucks everywhere.

You could have said that 25 years ago and replaced Starbucks with McDonalds/Burger King.

Itzy wrote: »
    You could have said that 25 years ago and replaced Starbucks with McDonalds/Burger King.

very few McDonalds in Ireland.
    go to australia. they are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Whats the story with that?

Surely a Mcdonalds in the town centre would bring in people. There's nowhere really that cheap in the Town centre so most lower spenders go to Golden Island and spend there money in Tesco, burger king, penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

peterc1991 wrote: »
    Surely a Mcdonalds in the town centre would bring in people.

There was one here: it didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

That's long gone. I would it was the rough type it brought that closed it off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Yeah, the one that was in Irishtown was fairly scummy towards the end. With some well known locals constantly blocking the entrance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

You can thank the might Supermacs for that.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the McDonalds down near (the old SC) Golden Island? (I know its a bank now)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You can thank the might Supermacs for that.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the McDonalds down near (the old SC) Golden Island? (I know its a bank now)

They closed up shop. The only left is out at the N6 Centre.

I seem to remember that when the closure was announced it was because the trade was insufficient to justify it staying open (more likely the rent was too high, so they voted with their feet)

Jaysus I forgot we once had two McDonald's

I seem to remember that when the closure was announced it was because the trade was insufficient to justify it staying open (more likely the rent was too high, so they voted with their feet)

It wasn't in a great spot, especially after 6 pm and they were competing with Supermac, Burger King and even Alfredo s.

Surprised they didn't try to get the old Xtra vision unit in Church St

The one thing we do have is a blast of is Supermacs. There's around 4 in the town alone as far as I'm aware (Centre of Town, Tuam Road, Roscommon Road and the Ballymahon Road). I'm not complaining as I never liked the food in BK or McDonalds anyway.

The one thing we do have is a blast of is Supermacs. There's around 4 in the town alone as far as I'm aware (Centre of Town, Tuam Road, Roscommon Road and the Ballymahon Road). I'm not complaining as I never liked the food in BK or McDonalds anyway.
    There used to be one in MacNeill's shop across from the college a few years ago as well.

There used to be one in MacNeill's shop across from the college a few years ago as well.

I know only too well. I'm surprised they weren't able to do business with the number of people in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I know only too well. I'm surprised they weren't able to do business with the number of people in the area.

Very competitive there - the college canteen, scribes, diner, sandwich shop beside it, charlies and chinese PLUS the takeaway beside pharmacy.

And thats before you consider Kilmartins or town.

They set themselve up to fail by setting up in McNeill's to be honest. An Uncle of mine had a take away across from the College when there were roughly 2000 students out in AIT. He's kicking himself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

Very competitive there - the college canteen, scribes, diner, sandwich shop beside it, charlies and chinese PLUS the takeaway beside pharmacy.

And thats before you consider Kilmartins or town.

Well you can remove scribes, i think it was partly due to all the athletics that they are promoting and then having college bar 100m away, take away is Luigis

http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/68512/end-of-an-era-as-ait-student-bar-scribes-closes

Steven81 wrote: »
    Well you can remove scribes, i think it was partly due to all the athletics that they are promoting and then having college bar 100m away, take away is Luigis

http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/68512/end-of-an-era-as-ait-student-bar-scribes-closes

They closed the bar? That's disappointing.

Steven81 wrote: »

Scribes was doing poorly towards the end of it's life. The last night I was in there was over a year ago on a Thursday night and the place was dead. Very different to 9 years ago when I was a fresher in AIT and the place would be hopping.

I started in 2003 and left in 2009. Loved the Ham and Cheese Toasties with a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

While its nice to see TK Maxx opening in the town centre the amount of places which have closed, indeed many opened and closed, since 2005 is staggering. Indeed on the north side of Church St only Allens and the Genoa Cafe are still there since 2005. Every other unit has changed or is vacant. The south side of the street has been marginally more stable anchored by Burgess, Sheffields and Centra all lasting the pace since 2005.

holyhead wrote: »
    While its nice to see TK Maxx opening in the town centre the amount of places which have closed, indeed many opened and closed, since 2005 is staggering. Indeed on the north side of Church St only Allens and the Genoa Cafe are still there since 2005. Every other unit has changed or is vacant. The south side of the street has been marginally more stable anchored by Burgess, Sheffields and Centra all lasting the pace since 2005.

When I was a child, nearly every unit was in use and Connaught street was fairly lively as well. It's gone both have gone down hill some what in the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

Easons new shop is progressing nicely, it is in a better location for them now and should be a lot better than hidden away on the bottom floor corner. Also rather than seeing an empty shop or two on entering the centre on RHS you now see a name you know, giving a passer by a much better first impression.

I wonder how much bigger its new location is to its old Golden Island location, always loved going in there as a young lad.

Advertisement