Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWF file problem...

Options
  • 02-02-2012 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right section to post in, if not then please move it :D

I'm using a .swf file as a banner for my site at the moment, unfortunately it has a daily view limit and its very annoying. I have the option to download the file so I have it on my desktop.

I need to know where I can host this online where I can have DIRECT access to the image itself, most host sites will only give you access to the file, I need direct access to the image as it is used as a site banner, its only a small file, less than 2MB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right section to post in, if not then please move it :D

I'm using a .swf file as a banner for my site at the moment, unfortunately it has a daily view limit and its very annoying. I have the option to download the file so I have it on my desktop.

I need to know where I can host this online where I can have DIRECT access to the image itself, most host sites will only give you access to the file, I need direct access to the image as it is used as a site banner, its only a small file, less than 2MB

A 2MB file as a banner image is by no means "only a small file"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where is your site? Is it on a free host?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Liam.... Thanks for pointing that out, you would not have any suggestions as to the problem at hand though would you?

Yes, it is a free forum...

Any help appreciated

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A banner image size should be kept under at least 100kb, I'd even narrow down to 50kb maximum, mobile broadband and dial up users (yes theres some still out there) will find large images to be slow to load/eat into their bandwidth allowance.
    You should be able to host the swf externally, then use <embed src="http://www.externalhost.com/file.swf&quot; /> but I'd reccomend trying to optomize the file and making it much smaller

Nick

Liam.... Thanks for pointing that out, you would not have any suggestions as to the problem at hand though would you?

Yes, it is a free forum...

Any help appreciated

Maybe if you provided some more info ?

Where is it hosted ?
    Why is there a "daily view limit" ? Paid hosting (and even most free hosting) wouldn't have this
    Is that limit due to the file size (which was my point ) ?
    90% of viewers wouldn't wait for a 2MB file to load; they'd be long gone, making the issue pretty irrelevant (also part of my point)
    What do you mean "direct access to the image rather than the SWF" ?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Maybe if you provided some more info ?

Where is it hosted ?
    Why is there a "daily view limit" ? Paid hosting (and even most free hosting) wouldn't have this
    Is that limit due to the file size (which was my point ) ?
    90% of viewers wouldn't wait for a 2MB file to load; they'd be long gone, making the issue pretty irrelevant (also part of my point)
    What do you mean "direct access to the image rather than the SWF" ?

Banner is hosted at bannersnack.com
    The website I am using it for is www.honda-haven.com
    There is a daily limit of 25000 views because, well because that is the way it is on the host site... bannersnack.com???
    Size Limit, No, that is not the reason, the reason is, well I guess so they can make more money I suppose?
    The 90% part, that is not an issue, the banner loads immediately on the site, has never been an issue....
    By direct access I mean, a link to the image source, would probably be the best way to describe it. Most host sites will not provide a direct link to the image, just a link to their site hosing the image, I need the actual image....

if we take size out of it for a second for arguments sake, put plainly is there a place where I can gain direct access to my swf file without this 'daily limit' thing....

I know photobucket pro will allow you to upload a >10mb swf file but I don't have a credit card to pay!!!

Frustrating :(

If it's your banner then why is it on a third-party site ?

If it's one of those free banner things then it's probably a legal T&C issue. There's certainly no technical reason for any of this, and breaking T&C terms is a whole other discussion.

Can't view the site on iPhone, and all I get is a blank page with a "classic version" link before seeing a site without a banner, so one final point re "The 90% part, that is not an issue, the banner loads immediately on the site, has never been an issue...."......try deleting the cache and seeing it as a first-time viewer would see it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

www.imageshack.ws may work as they support swf afaik, but be prepared to have the banner taken down quite soon if its 2mb a hit!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

screencast.com have 2 gig a month download and can host swfs as a starter trial.

You might be able to do it with vimeo but you have to check their terms

Freddio wrote: »
    screencast.com have 2 gig a month download and can host swfs as a starter trial.

You might be able to do it with vimeo but you have to check their terms

You're still looking at a max of 33 visits per day, even leaving aside the issue of people giving up.

33x30x2,000 = 2 gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You're still looking at a max of 33 visits per day, even leaving aside the issue of people giving up.

33x30x2,000 = 2 gig
    True, but if he's getting 33 people a day who are hanging around to stream the full 2 Mb, he will probably want to upgrade from a plan that had a daily up load limit

Hi,

This thread can be locked, I got the problem sorted. I hosted the file on photobucket PRO, its working on my site perfectly

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would dispute that. A 2Mb banner is still too large for any website. If you want to increase your rate of new returning visitors then either make it a smaller file size or change it!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

The banner seems to be 7 transitioning images, Why not use 1 static image and change it each month?

It took 53 seconds for the banner to load for me, thats 53 seconds where i'm looking at a black site with a login box and a big blank white box above it. If i wasn't answering this thread, i would have left the site after 5 seconds rather than waited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Get rid of that banner It's awful. Replace it with a simple jQuery slider so at least something loads with the page. Even with saying that, I have no idea how you managed to get the banner that file size because the image quality is low.

Advertisement