Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Island derelict house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

An old lady lived there with 11 sons and 11 daughters. They all mysteriously died one summer and nobody has gone near the house since.

They say that sometimes you can still hear the cries of the old lady in the late hours of the night...

Also, the whole area used to be the town dump/landfill so people might be hesitatant to buy property on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

An old lady lived there with 11 sons and 11 daughters. They all mysteriously died one summer and nobody has gone near the house since.

They say that sometimes you can still hear the cries of the old lady in the late hours of the night...

Also, the whole area used to be the town dump/landfill so people might be hesitatant to buy property on it.

Silly me, I thought that was the crying of the people who left their cars in the tesco carpark after 11pm.
    Yeah I know it was a dump - was this house adjacent to it or do you know the timeline?

Could also be the crying of the morbidly obese diabetics arriving to find that Dealz has closed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Won't be interested in purchasing the place, if on occasion you can even get a strong stench from GI. Imagine how that place might smell downwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Itzy wrote: »
    Won't be interested in purchasing the place, if on occasion you can even get a strong stench from GI. Imagine how that place might smell downwind.

Nasty. Probably on flood-plain too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I'm sure the only reason you'd pay the €100,000 for the house is the 2 acres of land that comes with it and its location relative to GI and other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

That area was not the town dump. The dump was to the south west of Payne's Lane.
    I think that the house is not situated in Golden Island. The house appears to be built on the burgage land of Irishtown and therefore is within the old town boundary.

Good story, 22 children? No wonder she built stables.

ps Anybody know what they're asking for the windsor chairs?

Mearings wrote: »
    Good story, 22 children? No wonder she built stables.

Standard number of kids for the Irishtown area back in the day. Surely you remember her, she walked a bit like John Wayne.

Standard number of kids for the Irishtown area back in the day. Surely you remember her, she walked a bit like John Wayne.

http://www.tcmclassicfilmfestival.com/mediaroom/video/293604/True-Grit-Movie-Clip-She-Reminds-Me-Of-Me.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Its Google Maps as 'Golden Island House' and when the staellite image was taken the driveway was clear of all the grass. I'd say it got ruined during the big floods a few years back

tubos wrote: »
    Its Google Maps as 'Golden Island House' and when the staellite image was taken the driveway was clear of all the grass. I'd say it got ruined during the big floods a few years back

I think that you are correct & therefore the blue teardrop indicator on the ad. map is incorrect.
    GI House is not within the Diskin development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

tubos wrote: »

This Bing aerial view makes a flood look likely:

http://binged.it/192dB36

Advertisement