Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Beginner - Adult

Options
  • 07-03-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I've decided to take up boxing. I'm 25, 6ft 2 and weigh around about 70kg. I'm not delusional and know i have no chance of competing with other boxers my age in competitive amateur competition. But i would like like to compete in the novices if the trainers think i will be ready (Maybe have it as a goal to train HARD and improve for). Anyway I wouldn't just join a club for the sake of keeping fit and using up the time of the trainers and the equipment, as I think that would be unfair to the other fighters who are actually fighting in competitive championships. So i have a few questions;

does anyone know any boxing club around the Meath/Dublin area? I know theirs one in Navan but my barber went their as a beginner and said they really don't give a **** about ye as an adult, they basically just put ye in a corner and focus on others (Which i can completely understand) he left after awhile.

I heard theirs one in Ashbourne that would be ideal to where i live does anyone have any information about the club? Do they take adult beginners, etc... any info would be great.

When are the Novices held, Is it a high level of standard?

Finally what do the boxing people thing, am I too old to join, do you think trainers will give me time if they know i want to compete and not just do it for fitness

Thanks, sorry if these questions have already been asked, not arsed flicking through threads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The fella who is fighting Wladimir Klitschko next month in Madison Square Garden for all the heavyweight belts only started boxing at 24.He is 30 now.

So get cracking.:pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryant_Jennings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There is an adult boxing training sessions going on in Ashbourne at the moment. It is ran by an ex boxer and it about getting fit and learning the basics of boxing correctly (punching, combos and footwork). I don't think they will put you in the ring to fight though but it could set you right up for a white collar boxing competiton.

Advertisement