Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value android phone?

Options
  • 26-07-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

So I recently bought my first android phone (Huawei Ascend G510) and unfortunately it had a lot of problems dropping calls etc so I had to bring it back!

I was tempted to take a new one, but it seems like a fairly common issue so said best not too! So I was wondering what is the best, reasonably priced (less than €200 maybe :confused:) android phone out there at the moment??

I'm on vodafone, and would like to stay with them, but if I get a good deal elsewhere I'll take it! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

dam , I was looking at a g510, they that bad or were u unlucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

brightkane wrote: »
    dam , I was looking at a g510, they that bad or were u unlucky?

maybe I was unlucky, but I know someone else who had the same problem and if you read the comments on vodafone's own page some people there had the same issue so I'd stay away :( really nice phone though I was disappointed!

Thanks very much for the reply! :) I always worry about buying phones online and from brands i don't recognise (stupid I know) have you first hand experience with this phone or??

Thanks Sean, might look at the y300 then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Thanks Sean, might look at the y300 then

Good phone for the money but if you are a power user give it a miss.

• Advertisement

cheers alpha, its for the wife, she will be coming from a iphone 3gs, it should be a bit quicker?

cheers alpha, its for the wife, she will be coming from a iphone 3gs, it should be a bit quicker?

Couldn't be sure, check gsm arena for a comparison.

twice the ram, faster processor and its dual core, and can add an sd card, i think its going to be a good upgrade for her
    great site btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

twice the ram, faster processor and its dual core, and can add an sd card, i think its going to be a good upgrade for her
    great site btw

Old OS, slow chip, small battery.... For the money, check the forum for the jiayu models which are twice the spec for similar money. Both phones in this thread are bottom shelf when it comes to spec

bidiots wrote: »
    Old OS, slow chip, small battery.... For the money, check the forum for the jiayu models which are twice the spec for similar money. Both phones in this thread are bottom shelf when it comes to spec

The phone runs jelly bean? Also a 1730 mah battery is a decent battery for a phone of this price.

• Advertisement

The phone suggested runs ICS, has small battery trying to run a 4 and a half inch screen. No thanks. There are a lot better options for the money as I suggested

Well the y300 will suit her need s for Facebook and internet surfing and I think will be a step up from 3gs.

The phone suggested runs ICS, has small battery trying to run a 4 and a half inch screen. No thanks. There are a lot better options for the money as I suggested

Dude, I have the y300, it's definitely running jelly bean 4.1

Talking about this one that was suggested

Good phone for the money but if you are a power user give it a miss.

That's the phone that I was referring to.

I've no idea what you are on about. I quoted the spec of the phone that was suggested.
    Regardless, none of the phones in this thread are even half as good a spec for the money as the current offers from jiayu,umi,lenovo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I got two Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250 recently. Bought off ebay from China with DHL delivery. Around 250 euro including customs (if you get charged)

Well the y300 will suit her need s for Facebook and internet surfing and I think will be a step up from 3gs.

This phone that was being discussed bidiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

This phone that was being discussed bidiot.

That's great...if you need me to explain it any further then its worrying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

I've no idea what you are on about. I quoted the spec of the phone that was suggested.
    Regardless, none of the phones in this thread are even half as good a spec for the money as the current offers from jiayu,umi,lenovo

I've never heard of jiayu, but did a quick google search and their phones do seem to have great specs and good prices! Which phone would you recommend if any?? And would the phone work perfectly over here as in chargers, internet, english menus and apps?? :confused:

Seanh111 wrote: »
    I've never heard of jiayu, but did a quick google search and their phones do seem to have great specs and good prices! Which phone would you recommend if any?? And would the phone work perfectly over here as in chargers, internet, english menus and apps?? :confused:

Search in this forum, there's a thread discussing a few models. I've had the g3 and the g2s, which is a fantastic piece of kit for the money. Its easy to change settings and remove crap and I used my kindle charger, any mini USB charger will work. Order a spare battery with them because they are usually a few dollars, handy to have...

For big screens keep an eye on battery size, bigger the better obviously. The quad chips should be easier on battery usage but still, big screens equals more power. Best of luck with your choice and make sure you let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-...po-C2---249.99 What would be the best phone out of the 3 listed . 1. Umi X2 2.Zopo C2 3.GooPhone X7 ... Dont really like the look of the Jiayu's as there too thick and plastic looking..any other makes?Looking for quad core, below 10mm thick and 4-5" screen. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

MJ434 wrote: »
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-...po-C2---249.99 What would be the best phone out of the 3 listed . 1. Umi X2 2.Zopo C2 3.GooPhone X7 ... Dont really like the look of the Jiayu's as there too thick and plastic looking..any other makes?Looking for quad core, below 10mm thick and 4-5" screen. Cheers!

I was looking at a few phones over the last few months, was planning on getting a Jiayu initially then kinda edged towards the Vowney V5, but there appears to be a problem with the compass function on them that apparently causes trouble with GPS especially in a built-up area, so went for the Mlais MX58 Air instead.

Might not be the best choice available but was getting fed up, chopping and changing, so 5.0 Gorilla Glass screen, 12mp camera, 720p HD video recording, Dual Sim Quad Core 1.2ghz and it is on it's way now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

I just got one of these and I'm very happy with it: huawei-ascend-p1

https://www.expansys.com/huawei-ascend-p1-black-228060/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

limitedIQ wrote: »
    I just got one of these and I'm very happy with it: huawei-ascend-p1

https://www.expansys.com/huawei-ascend-p1-black-228060/

Nice looking phone is it sim free oh and what size is the screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

yeah it was €206 sim free including next day delivery. screen is 4.3.

here is a review that convinced my:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/huawei-ascend-p1-1090453/review

Advertisement