Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ID insect.

Options
  • 19-04-2010 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

Seen these two ( few more like them) on the S/W coast last month. Large insect over an inch and a half long, some bigger. Have no idea what they are tried looking up Irish beetles on google, anyone know what they are?

insect1.jpg
    insectc.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

It's kind of hard to see the abdomen of the beetle in your pictures. If it has a long flexible abdomen it could be a Devils Coach Horse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_coach_horse_beetle
    Could you tell us what size it was? It's hard to tell from the photo.
    EDIT: sorry, you said one and a half inches in your post.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thanks for the reply, I reckon it was at least twice as long as the beetle you've posted, much larger. Seen it from the road yards away.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Ok, based on the size and the blueish colour, it sounds like a June Bug. I don't have a link to a picture of one though. Did you pick it up? They are incredibly strong bettles and have a pair of little gold spots on their front legs. You'd have to turn them upside down to see them.

johno

June bug, nice one. Big yokes. Didn't wanna go too close, I'm a abig sissy when it comes to bugs. If you do come accross a pic could you post it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

• Advertisement

sorry just copped that this answer has been dismissed. I still think it is a Ocypus but it's possibly also a larval form of a beetle but off the top of my head i can't think of any irish form that would be over 3.5 cm long.

Should really have put something along side it for comparisson.

ground beetle larvae?

wierdbug%20victoria.jpg

Larger than that. I'd say the first one under the leaf was the biggest. Think big cockroach in terms of size & width. Heavy looking thing. Can't see any pics on google images that correspond.
    johno2 wrote: »
    Ok, based on the size and the blueish colour, it sounds like a June Bug. I don't have a link to a picture of one though. Did you pick it up? They are incredibly strong bettles and have a pair of little gold spots on their front legs. You'd have to turn them upside down to see them.

johno

Do you also think its a june bug? They were 'parked' in some long grass by the sea. A few together, maybe six. I'm thinking is just a well fed devils coach horse beetle.
    http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/beetle2.htm#top
    There's one here which looks more similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Was it this beetle? (Devils Coach Horse)

P4111213.jpg

wgsten

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Advertisement

Must have been one of those I suppose.

Advertisement