Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mizuno Wave Inspire 11 v Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31 v ASICS Gel-Cumulus 16

Options
  • 18-06-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm halfway through the couch to 5K so not exactly an experienced runner! I've been using a crappy old pair of Nike runners so far so I'm looking at getting a decent pair of entry level trainers with a bit of shock absorption to help my knees. I'm only running on the treadmill at the moment but will be hopefully in a position to run on the road in a months time or so, all going well. So, I've narrowed it down to these three -
    Mizuno Wave Inspire 11
    Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31
    ASICS Gel-Cumulus 16

Does anyone recommend any of these over the other or perhaps there may be an alternative that I should consider? I really don't think that I'm at the stage of needing a gait analysis and I'm fairly certain that by upgrading to a new pair, it won't exactly cause me an injury!

Any advice greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

BTW - I had no idea what type of foot I had so I used this helpful test - http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

So, it turns out that I have a normal (medium) arch and here is the blurb that goes along with that -

If you see about half of your arch, you have the most common foot type and are considered a normal pronator. Contrary to popular belief, pronation is a good thing. When the arch collapses inward, this "pronation" absorbs shock. As a normal pronator, you can wear just about any shoe, but may be best suited to a stability shoe that provides moderate arch support (or medial stability). Lightweight runners with normal arches may prefer neutral-cushioned shoes without any added support, or even a performance-training shoe that offers some support but less heft, for a faster feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just something to bear in mind, Asics have a tendency to get holes around the big toe area. Have a google of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks for letting me know :)

I'm leaning towards the Mizuno's though based on a) Price and b) they appear on some websites like this to be a good recommendation for a Stability shoe for beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

There is no such thing as a beginners shoe or an advanced shoe, just one that suits your foot or doesn't. Its worthwhile to go and get your gait checked by an expert, they wont try to force expensive shoes on you, that's not what they're about, it will be a shoe that works for you and your mechanics.
    If you're in the Dublin area I'd recommend the Runhub in Ashtown, Runways on Parnell St or Run Logic in Temple bar. Its worth the trip and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm halfway through the couch to 5K so not exactly an experienced runner! I've been using a crappy old pair of Nike runners so far so I'm looking at getting a decent pair of entry level trainers with a bit of shock absorption to help my knees. I'm only running on the treadmill at the moment but will be hopefully in a position to run on the road in a months time or so, all going well. So, I've narrowed it down to these three -
    Mizuno Wave Inspire 11
    Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31
    ASICS Gel-Cumulus 16

Does anyone recommend any of these over the other or perhaps there may be an alternative that I should consider? I really don't think that I'm at the stage of needing a gait analysis and I'm fairly certain that by upgrading to a new pair, it won't exactly cause me an injury!

Any advice greatly appreciated! :)
    Thanks for letting me know :)

I'm leaning towards the Mizuno's though based on a) Price and b) they appear on some websites like this to be a good recommendation for a Stability shoe for beginners

You are absorbing conflicting advice.

The Mizuno Inspire is not the same as either of the other shoes.
    The wrong new pair of shoes can and does cause injury.
    The reason why holes appear in ASICS is down to sizing and fit of the shoes.
    There is no such thing as a beginners shoe.
    Gait analysis is generally free and means you are getting proper advice (ideally) from someone who knows what they are talking about and knows the difference between shoes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement