Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 220 or 620

Options
  • 03-04-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Upgrading my watch from the garmin forerunner 10.

Have been running for the best part of 1.5 years and I'm looking to upgrade.

Battery life seems to be reducing over the past few runs. Grand for an hour of use but anything longer and its touch and go if it will last.
    The watch has suited me down to the ground used for the Cork City Half and a number of other races.

Any one have recommendations on the above watches. Leaning towards the 220 seems a natural upgrade maybe the 620 is a step to far for me at the moment.

But all advice much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

A friend picked up one a 620 for me in the US last year and it's not great tbh.

Have a good read of the 620 (or 220) forums on the Garmin site before purchasing. New features (VO2max etc, race predictor) are really good but the actual basic running parts are much worse that my old 310Xt. Main problems I've seen are:
    • Watch cannot be used for a workout where you want to run in & around a certain pace (e.g. 4.50 - 5:00 km) as the pace will hop around like a drunken sailer beeping continuously.
    • GPS performance is much worse than the 310xt e.g. a 50k run (Donadea) I entered came out as 48.75k this year using the 620 vs. 50.09k last year using my 310xt on the same course.

It's unclear yet if these are s/w issues that can be fixed by updates or if Garmin are using much lower spec parts in the 620. It's certainly a different GPS chipset than the previous generation by all accounts.

In fact I'm sending the 620 back to them for replacement today along with the HRM which has also died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

GF has the 220 and I have the 620. We both had 410 before that. GPS accuracy was away better on the 410. Hopefully it is only software issue and they resolve it. There have been some improvements in latest GPS update (v3.0 i think it was) but there are still GPS issues.

Pace is shocking thou for intervals/workouts. Huge thread on Garmin forums on this. Myself and others are using lap pace instead and not using alarms to get around this for now.

At present the 620 (on v2.60 sw which is latest) reboots after a run when pressing the connect button. Again, huge thread on Garmin forums on this. Support keep saying to do a hard reset!!!

Other than the reboot issue and pace issue, I'm loving the 620, as can be used as a daily watch. Hopefully issues will be resolved soon with an upgrade and also they add support for the GSC10 which they promised soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Ive got a 220, coming from a similar watch to yourself in the 110. Its been great for me so far, I wanted it for programmable workouts mainly but other features like the quick satellite lock (usually less than 30 secs) and bluetooth uploading are very handy. Like most I run the same routhes alot of the time and the tracking seems to be very similar to the 110, the autolap beebs in the same places mostly!
    I was tempted by the 620 but the touch screen put me off a bit and I don't know if id make use of the other metrics it measures but id say if you're interested in them it could be a good option. There are a couple of things about the 620 I would like, the ability to display 4 data fields on one page would be nice and the wifi uploading would be handy also I think.
    Overall though im very happy with the 220 and it was a brilliant upgrade from the 110 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I have a forerunner 10 (not sure on the exact model) but went for a 20 miler last week and the battery only lasted 2 hours. Checked the box and it said it should last up to 5 hours.

Only have it a few months too.....

quick satellite lock (usually less than 30 secs)

Yes, while the 220 and 620 now get a satellite lock within seconds, sometimes as low as 5 seconds, its not an accurate one, on getting a lock I then check elevation and pace fields to see if they are jumping around. Once they stop jumping around I then start my run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have a 410 and 220. I had problems with the 220 battery but the software update sorted this. Regarding the gps, for me its the same as the 410 as i still switch between watches.

220 has a better interface to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

As a 620 owner I can tell you that the pace part is very poor alright. Run part of the CCM route on my long run. 610 never had a major issue during the part party covered by trees. Overall it is a better watch as I had loads of issues with 610 also. Had to send back HRM also.I find the GPS ok in an exposed area. It simply can't account for tm speed. I am yet to find a watch that doesn't have issues. The garmin 305 was the only one that came close. The VO2 max is saying I should do 2:45 marathon. It calculates pace much slower than actual pace which for me is good as it makes me work harder :)

It measured a 10 mile race short and cost me a much better PB recently. Think I need the watch at home after rotherdam.

Wifi upload is a big deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Seems like mixed reviews on the 620. If I decide to move away from garmin what other watches are out there similar to that of the 620 or even the 220

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

I have the 620 and I had the 610 before it. I have to say it is a big improvement physically over the 610, smaller and much lighter. The GPS is very fast to lock on to satellites, but the accuracy of the fix can suffer as a result. I usually give it 30 seconds once it has a lock before I start my activity. Some features are missing from the 620 such as the navigation or "Back to start" function, and the GPS accuracy file is missing, but these can be fixed in future updates. I love the live tracking feature, for safety, and just because it's cool. The running dynamics are interesting but I'm not sure they help me train. Finally the 10-day battery life and the WiFi connectivity means I rarely have to plug it in.

There are lots of people having problems with the 620, just look at the Garmin forums, but I'm not one of them.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

I have FR 620 (had 310XT before). Huge improvement in GPS lock time! As said earlier it usually locks in seconds but then pace jumps 2-20 min/km (when I'm walking). I know that I walk with about 10 min/km pace, so I just wait about a minute when it becomes stable and then press start button.
    WiFi feature is really neat. I just come home, press connect button and it is uploaded (sometimes it uploads automatically). tapiriik.com syncs Garmin connect with Runkeeper, so I don't do anything (except pressing "Connect" on my watches) to log my workouts to RunKeeper. I never use USB connection to upload workouts - only WiFi!
    I had WiFI issue after I unpack it, but then I installed software update and it works perfect.
    I also really like new HRM-Run. It kinda helps to improve running style. I never new that I had so low cadence (about 140-150 during jogging, 150 during running), now it is closer to 160 and I'm targeting 180.

Sorry for advertising here but I'm selling it as I want to upgrade to fēnix 2 (I already ordered it). So if anyone need white+orange FR 620 + HRM-Run used 7 times - you're welcome to PM me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Seems like mixed reviews on the 620. If I decide to move away from garmin what other watches are out there similar to that of the 620 or even the 220

Suunto Ambit 2R is on my list, I've been burned by Garmin, not again. Suunto seem to have higher hardware and software quality. More: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/suunto-ambit2r-depth-review.html

May take a look at the new TomTom also: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/04/tomtom-cardio.html

Overall though can't see past the Suunto.

Well, Ray (the guy behind dcrainmaker) still goes for Garmin 620:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-review.html
    Overall I’m quite happy with the FR620, and it’ll quickly become my go-to GPS running watch (I’ve previously always used my FR610 as my GPS running watch).
    I think new Garmin watches are pretty solid and it looks like most of issues were addressed by last software update (lucky me, I've bought them after this update was release, so I never had those issues)

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    I think new Garmin watches are pretty solid and it looks like most of issues were addressed by last software update (lucky me, I've bought them after this update was release, so I never had those issues)

Are you not having the reboot issues after pressing connect (or sometimes other button) after a run/workout with v2.60?

Nope. It rebooted once only (don't remember what I did before that).

But anyway I decided to improve my swimming skills too, so I go for fenix 2 and selling 620.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Well, Ray (the guy behind dcrainmaker) still goes for Garmin 620:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-review.html

That quote is from November, there have been a few new watches since then.

I'm wary of Garmin updates, some firmware updates have been even worse than earlier versions. Overall my Garmin experience has been poor. It's nice to see some quality competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

munkee wrote: »
    That quote is from November, there have been a few new watches since then.

I'm wary of Garmin updates, some firmware updates have been even worse than earlier versions. Overall my Garmin experience has been poor. It's nice to see some quality competition.

Where can I buy a garmin 220 in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Where can I buy a garmin 220 in Dublin?

Wheelworx in Lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just a quick bump; thinking of getting the FR220 myself. The internet seems to be relatively positive about it....anybody got it and been disappointed?

I'll be upgrading from FR10, the main thing I want is better training functionality and HRM.

Or has anybody got another model/brand in similar price range and been chuffed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hoping to collect my suunto ambit 2r from akw on Tuesday.
    Will take a few days and runs to figure it out.

Will post back how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

I got the 220 a few weeks ago, only issue I had is that the auto pause started kicking in for a few secs at the start of my run. Seems to be a known issue. I disabled auto pause and no issues since. Apart from that I think it's perfect for my needs and I really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Got a 220 recently and love it but I find the battery life is a tad less even after a month.
    Question.... I upload my runs on computer and doing this simultaneously charges the battery. Should I wait until the battery is very low to charge it/upload runs or does it matter if I keep topping it up after every run ?

I've ended up with two of the charging cables as Garmin sent me a new watch to replace my original 620, leave one of the cable at work so I let the watch charge up every to 100% every few days there. Not sure if this is the recommended approach or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

opus wrote: »
    I've ended up with two of the charging cables as Garmin sent me a new watch to replace my original 620, leave one of the cable at work so I let the watch charge up every to 100% every few days there. Not sure if this is the recommended approach or not though.

Is the battery low on charge before you top it up ? or do you top it up regardless of how much is left on it

Is the battery low on charge before you top it up ? or do you top it up regardless of how much is left on it

Just top it up regardless tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Just an update

After much consideration I went and got the TomTom Multi Sport Cardio.

Seems like a good watch (only have done 4 runs) no need for straps to monitor hearth rate this watch uses a sensor built into the watch.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.

Regards
    Ron

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Lads thinking of investing in the garmin 620, have the pace issues been resolved?
    I like the Vo2 max features but obviously it needs to do the basics, right any thoughts from those who have it?

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Lads thinking of investing in the garmin 620, have the pace issues been resolved?
    I like the Vo2 max features but obviously it needs to do the basics, right any thoughts from those who have it?

I haven't tried using it to stay in a pace zone for a run since I got it cause it was such a frustrating experience & instead switched back to the 310xt instead. Might be better now so will try over the w/end & report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

My experience with my 410 is that current pace is always all over the place. I always use current lap pace, last lap pace or average pace. I don't think that it is just a 620 issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bez Bing wrote: »

Yep, average pace and lap pace works fine.
    BTW - I'm looking to shift a 620 (Black/Blue), just the watch, 1500 kms of usage and 5 mths warranty left, no issues with it, just I'm using the fenix 3 full time now.
    PM me if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Yep, average pace and lap pace works fine.
    BTW - I'm looking to shift a 620 (Black/Blue), just the watch, 1500 kms of usage and 5 mths warranty left, no issues with it, just I'm using the fenix 3 full time now.
    PM me if interested.

Cheers Beep Beep, Im based in the US so the logistics of a sale might be complicated. Thanks though.

Did you just move the Fenix for the multi-sport features?

Advertisement