Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Naas - Advice

Options
  • 11-04-2016 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm considering moving to Kildare/Naas (Sallins or other place close to the train station).

We are a young couple living in Dublin for the last 2 years and tired of the rent speculation in Dublin.
    The rise in rent prices for (average) poor house quality is going mad so we decided to leave the city center. 1800€ is too much as we prefer a house and not a minuscule apartment. Also there is no stability if we need to worry about schools and rent raises every year (or 2 years).

We have 1 child (4) and the second in coming soon so this is also a huge factor when considering the move.

We were looking for new places and we loved Naas, Maynooth and Leixlip. Basically we searched for places in the DAFT line west of Dublin with fair rent prices, available schools, less then 1 hour commuting and good/friendly areas to raise kids. Please let me know if Naas is not a place like this :)

Can anyone give some advice, please:

- Primary schools
    I'm looking for a primary school (public) for my son to start next September. We have an available place already but in D4 and it's not suitable once we move. We would like the Educate Together system but Catholic is also ok as long as it is a mixed school. Is it possible to guarantee a place near for September, even in other places around Naas (we have car)?

- General life (security, places to avoid, weekends, activities, foreign communities, restaurants)

- Transportation
    What is the best option to commute to Dublin? I will be working near Dame Street. What is the price/time and the various alternatives?

Still deciding between Naas and Maynooth but inclined for the first. We loved the environment around a few Sallins residential areas, very friendly and excellent to raise kids. Can I have some feedback of the pros/cons between the 2? Any alternatives?

I really appreciate any help

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hello jimbras,

Moved to Naas 20yrs ago so have seen a lot of changes and have raised my 2 boys here.

Now age 15 & 13

From what I know, rental properties in Naas are quickly snapped up, but you should still find something well within your budget with lots of options

I'm biased towards the Northern side of the town (ie. exit at junction 9). Closer to the park, easy access to the motorway and good quality housing estates with lots of options and styles of houses

Both my boys went to the primary school next to the GAA. Is called Scoil Bhride and is co-educational mixed school with a catholic ethos. Excellent facility, built circa 2005/2006 with a new extension about 3-4yrs ago. There is a really broad mix of nationalities in the school aswell and now both boys in the Pipers Hill College at the opposite end of town.

Not sure about availability, but as with all schools its worth asking.

Naas is considered a very safe town to live in (Garda Station in town) and lots of Garda living in the town seems to help with this. No shortage of excellent restaurants in Naas and surrounding villages. Plenty amenities for all ages (sports, etc).

Transport to Dublin. The bus 126 serves the city centre and there is the Arrow train that goes thro Sallins going to Heuston.

Naas itself has always been a prosperous town, but is going through a bit of a resurgence with the opening of the Kerry Foods plant. The town centre could do with some TLC as its a bit drab looking in places and some shop fronts look dated, but plenty coffee shops, bars, restaurants to keep anyone busy and there is the big Tesco on the Monread rd.

Both ends of the town have retails parks and also Lidl/Aldi stores.

If you come across any properties, I'd be happy to give my opinion on the particular area

Best of luck wherever you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimbras

Hi Lex,

We are considering Naas/Sallins as our top priority, but I guess that is going to depend on whether we have available schools or not. We will contact schools immediately. Anyway, we know that probably we will need to search other towns as well, given the date proximity.

The places we visited: Sallings Wharf, Pier and Oldbridge, close enough to the train station. What do you think of those areas?

We contacted estate agents in order do visit a few available houses, but no answers yet.

Please let me know if you know of any available houses close to the train station.

Any idea of what time should take to go to Heuston in the morning? and price?

Thank you so much for your precious feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Why not look at buying? Prices still reasonable and some nice new developments about.

Some people get the deposit requirements wrong - for a house of 250k (assuming first time buyer) its 10% of 220k and 20% of the amount over that. So 28k deposit for 250k house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimbras

Thanks for the advice, but I already own a house in my home country (Portugal).

Not for now, at least.

jimbras wrote: »
    Hi Lex,

We are considering Naas/Sallins as our top priority, but I guess that is going to depend on whether we have available schools or not. We will contact schools immediately. Anyway, we know that probably we will need to search other towns as well, given the date proximity.

The places we visited: Sallings Wharf, Pier and Oldbridge, close enough to the train station. What do you think of those areas?

We contacted estate agents in order do visit a few available houses, but no answers yet.

Please let me know if you know of any available houses close to the train station.

Any idea of what time should take to go to Heuston in the morning? and price?

Thank you so much for your precious feedback.

I wouldn't be able to offer any advice on the estates in Sallins

I know a couple who owned in Sallins Pier and decided to move back to Naas as didn't like it there

I'd say if you google iarnrod eireann you will timetable of trains in/out of Dublin and you would also get an idea of prices for travel

There are no secondary schools in Sallins so when the time comes you will have to send your kids into Clane or Naas for secondary school.

There are buses going from the village to the various secondary schools but something to bear in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Lex Luthor wrote: »

There are no secondary schools in Sallins so when the time comes you will have to send your kids into Clane or Naas for secondary school.

Isnt there a new secondary school being built in the millenium park?

wilser wrote: »
    Isnt there a new secondary school being built in the millenium park?

Correctly, albeit in Naas but closer to Sallins. With the cycle lane gong from sallins all the way thro the millenium estate, it will make a big difference getting to it and back when built

Advertisement