Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help again please!

• 19-09-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey everyone, back again to ask for some help.
    I have been searching around on family search and I entered in the surname Phillips with parents entered as Robert Phillips and Mary Storen and I found 2 marraiges in Boston for a Mary Phillips married in 1913 to a Daniel Kelleher (which I believe to be my great grand aunt) And an Agnes Phillips,Her birth year is listed as 1883 married to an Edward Lysholm in 1908 in Boston also.

Now here lies my problem there was no Agnes recorded as being born to my Robert or Mary or any other Robert or Mary ,they only had the 3 daughters who were Mary, Bridget and Ellen...I even went back to roots ireland to double check and put in the same parents and I don't get a result for Agnes, I only get the children that I already have on my tree.

So basically what I would like to know is the possibility of roots ireland not having this child's record but having everyone else's? The last child recorded would have being my great granddad Thomas who was born in or around 1879 so roughly 4 years space , what would be the chances of them not having the record? What would be the possibility of registering all other children but not this one?

And then the other alternative which I seem to be leaning more towards could one of the daughters have changed their name? Does this sound a bit far fetched? I also thought maybe it was a misprint of a name but no it definitely says Agnes when I looked at the actual record, I also found some census results and it has Agnes listed aswell. I even thought about nicknames for their birthnames but none even remotely come close.

I'm really stick with this and it's driving me nuts!
    Once again any help much appreciated! Storen in itself is a rare enough surname and especially marrying a Robert Phillips chances are low that I have a completely different family so I'm fairly confident that this woman is a daughter but whether or not she is another daughter or one of the others with a changed name is baffling me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I'm not sure where your Philips were born, but there are a few Agnes Philips and variations born around that time in Ireland
    https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AAgnes~%20%2Bsurname%3APhilips~&collection_id=1408347&birth_year1=1800~1880&birth_place0=8

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

Hiye, Thanks for that :). My Phillip's are all Tipperary based and any search I did on roots ireland for that area for that name, parents and time frame I didn't get any results. I even left the all areas unclicked to see if she might have been registered in a different county but nothing either. I tried searching some immigration records on Ellis Island for some info but didnt finding anything.

Like I said in my previous post I really don't think I have a different family here because the parents names are my ancesters names and I don't know of any other Mary Storen that married a Robert Phillips.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's entirely possible that one of the daughters used her middle name. My great-grandmother and 3 of her sisters were all called Mary Something and all known by their middle names. One was in fact called Mary Agnes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement