Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Adding a new Door to my shed! (for telescope)

Options
  • 25-11-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have an 8x6 ft shed that I want to convert to allow me to roll in/out my telescope on it's "scopebuggy".

Reckon I need to do it from the rear (see pics) but I am looking for anyones advice on here for the best way to do it !

So keen to have a door that opens , maybe top down?
    and want it waterproof when closed (although back is facing north away from prevailing rain )

Appreciate any comments

Cheers
    Redman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Hi Redman.

I like the idea and it seems as if it would be an easy enough project providing you have the tools. From the pictures it seems as if your biggest problem is that the strength in your shed is pretty much all in the sheeting.

If it was me the first thing I would do is mark out the size of the opening inside and out (the easiest way being, mark it out inside, drill a hole in the corners and use that to transfer it accuratley to the outside) then, using 4x2 pao or something with a similar section, frame up the opening making sure that its sturdy enough so that when you cut the sheeting the back of your shed wont pull apart.
    Fix the sheeting that will fall away after you start cutting with 4x2 as well and then cut away from the outside. You can use the cut out sheeting as a ready made door. Just overlap the gaps with a hardwood strip to stop any driving rain from working its way inside.
    You can hinge that from any side, top or bottom providing the framing is sturdy enough on both the shed and your new door.

The big thing to remember to make it easy on yourself is take your time measuring and keep the opeing and the door square (corners at 90 degrees).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Excellent feedback, I was worried about the rain thing in particular but what your saying makes sense when I looking behind the actual door on the shed currently.

Any particular type of hinge you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

My pleasure.

I'd just use nice big galvanised T-hinges along with decent screws. The ones they give you with the hinges aren't great. Could prove to be a heavy old door so four of them might be needed.
    You'll have to pack the bottom of the door up two or three mill before you fit the hinges I'd say. It'll need a little clearance all round to open and close properly.

Happy star gazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah Here, The population of boards is really beginnin to Disapoint recently, all these Linear solutions about Doors and hinges and Stuff

OP
    Have you considered one of these,
    Caulked.jpg

Added advantage of WALLS, means you can comfortably Stargaze, add power and it gives you somewhere to Power the Laptop and Coffee Machine.

Honestly IMO an easier build than trying to modify one of those flatpack sheds, to do any reasonable modifications on the Shed you have to Basicly rebuild the thing from scratch anyway, this way you keep a Functiional Shed and Build yer own observatory,

Rumor has it that Birr Observatory came about in much the same way,Mrs PArsons was none too pleased about the Earls idea of Punchin a hole through the Lounge room wall to transport his unfeasibly large equipment in and out :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Ha ha yes that was my first port of call!
    But......
    The dome would need to be centre of garden for full view and sadly that won't fit in with overall garden....
    Hence the need to convert shed to allow a roll out of the telescope!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

See, where you're goin wrong is referrin to it as Garden, You Should just start referring to the required Space as "Planned Observatory Site''

Buit Seriously, the Loss of some Begonias is a small sacrifice for an insight into the workings of the Universe.

And for a Final Kicker, How many of the Neighbours have their own Observatory? See the uniqueness factor Should win the Missues over.

Advertisement