Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Imported, registered and VRT'd in Aug 2018, off the road until recently and tested april 2019 and NCT cert valid until Aug 2020.

My question: Shouldnt the NCT valid and due daten run from original date of registration/manufacture and not the import date? Thats how its worked on my previous imports.

Once your car is over 4 years old, the NCT goes from date car was registered here.So the are correct.The car being of the road makes no difference to the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

My V5 document was sent to my Irish address today, however the envelope was empty. It was sent by a third party via a UK address, envelope may have opened due to being poorly packaged. Just worried if it fell into the wrong hands, given they'd obviously have my address also? Is there any big advantage to then having the document, with a view to stealing? Car would be worth 25k and parked outside in open. Possibly being silly but anyway. DVLA sending a new document out currently

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems a bit bizarre that someone would know the envelope contained a V5 document prior to opening it with the intention of stealing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

bazz26 wrote: »
    Seems a bit bizarre that someone would know the envelope contained a V5 document prior to opening it with the intention of stealing it.

No, I thought that alright and that's probably why I'm being silly, the chances of it falling into the hands of someone with the means to do something is probably miniscule. There wouldve been no way to identify the contents from the outside of the envelope. Thought if it was a simple post office error though it would've been returned to sender (address was included), and it hasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

A question for anyone that paid Uk road tax before you brought the car back, were you waiting long before you got your refund?.Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Question - what documents for proof address can be brought i have a p60 and i have a bank statement (hard copy) dont have any utility bills myself as i live in rented accommodation and my phone is pay as you go etc will i get away with them two things? what has others brought with them

revoke12 wrote: »
    Question - what documents for proof address can be brought i have a p60 and i have a bank statement (hard copy) dont have any utility bills myself as i live in rented accommodation and my phone is pay as you go etc will i get away with them two things? what has others brought with them

Bank statement is fine for proof of address.

mgn wrote: »
    Bank statement is fine for proof of address.

Do you only need one document for proof of address?

Do you only need one document for proof of address?

Yes,one is enough.

Yes,one is enough.

great thanks for that, also just wondering prob a stupid question but do you go into the nct centre and they call you then just like they do with NCT? never done it before so just wondering about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

bod71 wrote: »
    A question for anyone that paid Uk road tax before you brought the car back, were you waiting long before you got your refund?.Thanks.

I think that I waited around 3-4 weeks to receive a cheque.

great thanks for that, also just wondering prob a stupid question but do you go into the nct centre and they call you then just like they do with NCT? never done it before so just wondering about it.

Yes,same as the NCT the will call you.The will have your details on their computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Sorry if already asked (multiple times I expect), but besides Revolut, what options are available for transferring GBP on a Saturday. I have been onto Currencyfair, and while I can send in EUR and raise the GBP in advance, they are saying it takes one day to transfer GBP, and they don't "cover" weekends, whereas I would be looking to do it same day, on a Saturday.

Many thanks

Why does it have to be a Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s fairly obvious from the DVLA envelope that it contains a v5.it’s anA5 sized brown envelope with DVLA on it when everything else they send out is in a DL size envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Sorry if already asked (multiple times I expect), but besides Revolut, what options are available for transferring GBP on a Saturday. I have been onto Currencyfair, and while I can send in EUR and raise the GBP in advance, they are saying it takes one day to transfer GBP, and they don't "cover" weekends, whereas I would be looking to do it same day, on a Saturday.

Many thanks

There's not really any options. Am in same predicament but using transferwise to make payment on Friday and will collect car on Saturday. Buying from a main dealer and have lots of paperwork and email trail with them etc. There's definitely risk involved but have minimised it as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s fairly obvious from the DVLA envelope that it contains a v5.it’s anA5 sized brown envelope with DVLA on it when everything else they send out is in a DL size envelope.

I think it's fairly obvious any V5 thief would just trouser the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isambard wrote: »
    I think it's fairly obvious any V5 thief would just trouser the lot

I’d agree but I assume the third party was parcel motel, addresspal or similar! Something has to be logged and sent on.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's usually a separate window / queue for the VRT, and it will be much quieter than the NCT window.

Just go in and go to the VRT queue to check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

The DVLA letters are very easy to make out, if someone knew what they were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Have the car home 7 days now, couldn't be happier. Made an appointment yesterday for 10th may. Just hoping the garage gets the logbook in time.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    It's usually a separate window / queue for the VRT, and it will be much quieter than the NCT window.

Just go in and go to the VRT queue to check-in.

Thanks for that one more thing do i need to do anything with the V5 document (log book UK) do i just hand it in as in do i need fill out any of it with new owner details?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

Thanks for that one more thing do i need to do anything with the V5 document (log book UK) do i just hand it in as in do i need fill out any of it with new owner details?

No, you don't fill anything in on it. They keep it so scan/copy it before hand if you want to retain a copy.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Buffman wrote: »
    No, you don't fill anything in on it. They keep it so scan/copy it before hand if you want to retain a copy.

perfect thanks fro that

My inspection is tommorow can i pay aswell on the same day? im after reading you need book in 7 days of it entering for inspection? I havnt done this i have booked in for inspection and was hoping pay tommorow also? Im within the 30 days

My inspection is tommorow can i pay aswell on the same day? im after reading you need book in 7 days of it entering for inspection? I havnt done this i have booked in for inspection and was hoping pay tommorow also? Im within the 30 days

Your okay if your under 30 days,Don't worry about the 7 days now. You can pay tomorrow with Debit or Credit card.The will only take €250 in cash.As soon as you pay the will give you your new registration.

Your okay if your under 30 days,Don't worry about the 7 days now. You can pay tomorrow with Debit or Credit card.The will only take €250 in cash.As soon as you pay the will give you your new registration.

Thanks everyone for yer help car registered
    On Saturday all went grand thank god plates ordered now and will sort tax etc tommorow

Brought home my car on Saturday. Super experience. Though plenty of delays on the ferry with storm hannah etc.

Thanks for all the advice here, made it as straightforward a process as possible.
    VRT inspection Friday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Thinking of doing this for my wifes next car. Car would be a 191 and using vrt calc online it'd owe 4.5k vrt. Just 10 miles on it. However in the OP there is nothing about a V5. What is that and will the dealer have it or what do I need to know about it? Car already has a UK plate on it as its a demo car.

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Thinking of doing this for my wifes next car. Car would be a 191 and using vrt calc online it'd owe 4.5k vrt. Just 10 miles on it. However in the OP there is nothing about a V5. What is that and will the dealer have it or what do I need to know about it? Car already has a UK plate on it as its a demo car.

Car needs to be 6 months old [Edit] AND [/Edit] have over 6000 km when bringing it into country otherwise you'll have to pay Irish vat.

V5c is essentially the log book. You absolutely need this and the dealer needs to give you the whole form. Not just the section relating to the new owner details.
    You should discuss this with the dealer in advance and ensure that he understands this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement