Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Grenham's Irish Times column

• 19-03-2013 4:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seriously, I cannot find it in the newly redesigned* online Irish Times.

The search function only finds older editions of it!

Can anyone tell me where it is please?

*awful, terrible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks, Shane - still in the old format, interesting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

When I didn't see a new post on Sunday\Monday I was wondering if his blog didn't make the cut with the new website.

And you are right about the new layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I can't find anything in the new paper Irish Times. I get it every Saturday and the only things I can find are - letters page, Ross O'Carroll Kelly & the TV section. And those last two are in the magazine section. Other than that, I find myself opening the first few pages of the paper, seeing nothing I recognise (and no headlines of interest) and closing it again until next Saturday. Soon I will stop getting it entirely and just wait for the annual Ross O'Carroll Kelly book at Christmas.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Found it.

From the main home page
    hover over the "Culture" button - this brings up another panel
    move the mouse over to "Heritage" and click it
    scroll down toward the bottom of the page and click the "show more" button
    The next article that appears is the latest John Grenham piece.

There are other ways to get to the "Heritage" section, but that seems to be the quickest. I couldn't find a list of the blogs like there used to be, however they come up if you search "John Grenham" from the main pages search button.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm sure I could have traced several unknown members of my family tree in the length of time it took to find John Grenham's blog! Couldn't they have made it simpler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Couldn't they have made it simpler?

Yes; there is a dastardly plot afoot! The rumour ? The old lady is making the free online site soo complicated that it will force people back to buying the newsprint version.;)

I'm sporadic reader of JG's. The easiest way to find it is to enter 'Grenham' as a keyword search and up will pop all his blogs - then click on the headline of the one you want and it will bring you to that page, along with the comments.
    I'm surprised his blog on the portal went uncommented; I thought it was poorly thought out, badly put together and sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pjmw

There are two versions of John Grenham's blog archives on the Irish Times website.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/magazine/column/index.htm
    goes from the start of 2009 to last week.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/irishroots/
    goes from the start of 2012 to this week, or maybe even next week on occasions - the column printed on April 8 is dated April 6 in this version.

Don't ask why!

The blog post often goes live on the Sunday (or in this case the Saturday) before the Monday print edition.

Also, the archived articles are well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pjmw

The new Irish Times website is more awful than I thought - all articles are split up into chunks of about 600 words, so if I want to search a long article for a word I have to load and search several web pages in succession. Idiotic!

• Advertisement

Trying again to find Mr Grenham's column in the Irish Times site. Most recent one I'm finding is dated June 18th (?) Any chance the dates have been changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's not there, last is the 17th. Perhaps he is on holidays?

Well, that's allowed, I s'pose! :D Thought I'd gone blind and bewildered.

My last post in June 2013 describes me as 'blind and bewildered'. This is how I feel having been researching for several years now. I was catching up on Mr. Grenham's column dated 25th August, and never a true-er word was spoken. I am positively drowning in genealogy and its difficult to make sense of a lot of it and I definitely cannot remember it all. I daily pray I won't meet a relative who asks questions about what I found out about this person or that person as I have to reply that I don't carry my family tree around with me, nor my notes, and so I cannot answer any questions. They leave, thinking I have nothing, and I feel like a fraud. Grrrrrr! :(
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/irish-roots-genealogy-overdose-1.1905067

I am positively drowning in genealogy

Haha, love it!

I haven't touched my family research in a number of years but I'm more on this track now: "your focus has narrowed to the point where you spend a year investigating the history of a stone wall along the north east corner of one field in west Mayo".

For a previous blog I had, I once did some research on the history of a road that went through the village where I am from to see if I could squeeze something genealogy related out of it. Thank god I found a wife before all this set in:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I am positively drowning in genealogy and its difficult to make sense of a lot of it and I definitely cannot remember it all.

Take a break. You can start to go a bit mad after too much genealogy - well I do anyway:o - and I think a break is the best thing for it.
    I stopped a few weeks ago when my Ancestry sub was up and I'm glad I did.
    I might give it another fortnight but actually I'm looking forward to going back to the tree when the time comes. Prior to the break I was getting sick of it and it was getting to where I couldn't make head nor tail of any of the work I was doing, even the simple stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,582 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't identify with that at all..... the stone wall I'm having trouble with is in Westmeath.

MYOB wrote: »
    I can't identify with that at all...

With my comment? Maybe it's more serious than I'd first thought!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,582 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hermy wrote: »
    With my comment? Maybe it's more serious than I'd first thought!

No, Grenham's article had a line about obsessing over a stone wall (real stones, not the "brick wall" of lack of records) in Mayo.

No, Grenham's article had a line about obsessing over a stone wall (real stones, not the "brick wall" of lack of records) in Mayo.

Thank goodness for that!:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

"Your response to, “That’s a nice day there” is likely to be, “Prove it.”"

"You regularly decide to check just one thing online before going to bed, and then find yourself emerging from a research trance five hours later."

"And then button-hole complete strangers to tell them all about it.
    "

Mr. Grenham's quotes above describe me in detail, and when I button-hole anybody to tell them what I've found, I somehow find myself oblivious to their yawns! Its a terrible sickness we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

"Your response to, “That’s a nice day there” is likely to be, “Prove it.”"

Mr. Grenham's quotes above describe me in detail, and when I button-hole anybody to tell them what I've found, I somehow find myself oblivious to their yawns! Its a terrible sickness we have.

I have to bite my tongue now when I hear the historical family stories of others. I just smile and nod and be tactful but inside I'm thinking 'oh yeah, can you prove it?! Have you got the documentation? Because if not it just didn't happen pal!' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I can't identify with that at all..... the stone wall I'm having trouble with is in Westmeath.
    And I have one in Wicklow. I can't say for sure whether it is part of the g-g-grandparents' house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

Mine is a remnant of a mud wall cottage. Thanks to Griffiths and old maps, the exact location can be worked out and locals can show me where it was but no doubt it will soon disappear having been abandoned c 1960.

cobham wrote: »
    Mine is a remnant of a mud wall cottage. Thanks to Griffiths and old maps, the exact location can be worked out and locals can show me where it was but no doubt it will soon disappear having been abandoned c 1960.

This reminds me a TV programme I saw recently (might have been RTE news) about an island which had been abandoned years ago, but now people are interested in relocating back to the island. I was wondering about the cottages, or ruins left behind - would the families still own them, does the Government own them, and who has the right to sell or buy them? Cobham, is it possible you actually own your ruin? Lots of ruins around Ireland, who owns them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

It was a maiden aunt who was persuaded to leave the family homestead. It was located down a boreen and across two two fields. This was a good half mile out from the village where where she was rehoused. The land of the original farm had been taken over by other extended family members down the years .... 'sin sceal eile'.

The aunt was the person who had to resign from her job in 'the big house' to come home and care for her elderly parents.

Of course once the fire was let go out of these old houses, that was the end of the them as damp penetrated both walls and roof and decay set in.

Advertisement