Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Aston Villa KO - 4:00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dubit10 wrote: »
    The last time i seen legs that far apart i'd just spent 50 euro in Amsterdam.

You can get it for free in Temple Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

You can get it for free in Temple Bar

Diving lessons or easy chicks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

cambo2008 wrote: »
    It has to be said it's refreshing that Fergie has come out and said that he played for the penalty and it was a dramatic fall.
    I think he will have a word with him and try get him to cut it out.
    Makes a change from the "I didn't see it" brigade.

I very very much doubt it.

While its refreshing for him to say he fell dramatically & played for it however I'm pretty sure he also said it was a definite peno, which it clearly wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The last time i seen legs that far apart i'd just spent 50 euro in Amsterdam.

Typical Liverpool attitude. Paying through the nose for something everybody gets cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Diving lessons or easy chicks?

easy chicks...say ya have to head out to Blanch for the old diving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I very very much doubt it.

While its refreshing for him to say he fell dramatically & played for it however I'm pretty sure he also said it was a definite peno, which it clearly wasn't.
    You doubt what??
    It's debatable by the letter of the law if it was a penalty.
    IMO it wasn't but a lot,probably most are not IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Not a penalty for me anyway. I think Young was anticipating the touch and made his mind up before hitting the deck what he was going to do. Unfortunately for Young, Clark did the right thing and pulled out of it and now Young looks like a fool. He's lucky to have gotten that penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Question for all the outraged liverpool supporters who posted here - Was it as bad a dive as the one carroll tried against his old team? And did you cry out to ban him then? Remember we can check back on what you posted back then;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The only contact made was when Young stood on the defender's foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

untitled-1duyw9.gif

WqQ3Q.gif

Voting contest now open for best dive!!:D

Carroll all day long for me but hell i'm biased!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Question for all the outraged liverpool supporters who posted here - Was it as bad a dive as the one carroll tried against his old team? And did you cry out to ban him then? Remember we can check back on what you posted back then;)

Carrol was booked and there was no penalty, two weeks in a row Young has cheated and got two pens and a man sent off. Do you see the difference. Carrol was punished for what he did where as young wasn't. Both were shocking dives though.

Carroll's dive was more obvious? The ref was better? There really isn't any difference in what the players were trying to achieve.4

Edit: My response was to you original post. Context is now changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

niallo27 wrote: »
    Carrol was booked and there was no penalty, two weeks in a row Young has cheated and got two pens and a man sent off. Do you see the difference. Carrol was punished for what he did where as young wasn't. Both were shocking dives though.

It's yet another thing that Andy Carroll is shít at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

baz2009 wrote: »
    It's yet another thing that Andy Carroll is shít at?

Like headers. Oh hold on a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The difference being however, is that Carroll was challenged by thin air. With clear evidence of no contact being made.

The difference being however, is that Carroll was challenged by thin air. With clear evidence of no contact being made.

They are both shocking dives in fairness, you cant deny that.

I checked that newcastle thread and didn't see the calls for bans for him. If you're going to be outraged, be outraged that they attempted it not that they got away with it. See the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just to confirm, it's only the outraged Liverpool fans you want to hear from and not the outraged fans of other clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Not a penalty for me anyway. I think Young was anticipating the touch and made his mind up before hitting the deck what he was going to do. Unfortunately for Young, Clark did the right thing and pulled out of it and now Young looks like a fool. He's lucky to have gotten that penalty.

This is the best way I would describe it too.

I checked that newcastle thread and didn't see the calls for bans for him. If you're going to be outraged, be outraged that they attempted it not that they got away with it. See the difference?

Well you could saw I'm outraged that one was punished and the other wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

on MOTD they mentioned the dubious penalty decision given at old trafford

mmm guess the villa handball where we should have had another penalty will be mentioned soon enough...oh wait it wasn't

Well you could saw I'm outraged that one was punished and the other wasn't.

So it's not the blatent theatrics that pisses you off, it's that carroll didn't get away with it too?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was there this much outrage at Young cheating when he was doing it at Villa the last few years?

I've said it before, if someone is clever enough to con the ref they deserve the penalty. Until the rules are changed to more severely punish diving then the gains outweigh the possible punishment and players will continue to do it. There's nothing funnier than a failed dive though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liam O wrote: »
    Was there this much outrage at Young cheating when he was doing it at Villa the last few years?

I've said it before, if someone is clever enough to con the ref they deserve the penalty. Until the rules are changed to more severely punish diving then the gains outweigh the possible punishment and players will continue to do it. There's nothing funnier than a failed dive though :D

That's all well & good, but I think the issue stems from when that opinion only surfaces when a player at your club does it whereas if a rival does it, it's moral outrage all the way.

Not nescessarily talking about you, but plenty of the people defending Young in here (some even going as far as to say he didn't cheat!) are the same people who get right into their pulpits & rant against the likes of Bale, Suarez etc. That's just idiocy of the highest degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

They are both shocking dives in fairness, you cant deny that.

I mentioned nothing about dives in my post, but I did mention contact. Carroll blatantly attempted to cheat since there was no contact made whatsoever. Young may have overreacted, but there was contact and he was clipped. His reaction was uncalled for since the penalty was beyond question.

As SAF himself said....
    "He has definitely taken a fall, it was a dramatic fall and he overdid it, but it's a penalty definitely."

So I also share his opinion on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That's all well & good, but I think the issue stems from when that opinion only surfaces when a player at your club does it whereas if a rival does it, it's moral outrage all the way.

Not nescessarily talking about you, but plenty of the people defending Young in here (some even going as far as to say he didn't cheat!) are the same people who get right into their pulpits & rant against the likes of Bale, Suarez etc. That's just idiocy of the highest degree.
    I guess so, and tbh, in the heat of the game it does leave a bitter taste and I do go mad about it, in general though it's more anger at the referee for not seeing it and even then I have a much more lax attitude to it anyway now (think it was the torture that some of the Real-Barca games last season) and when I remove myself from the games bias wise it makes perfect sense why players would do it and if push came to shove I reckon in some situations I might do the same.

As far as I'm concerned if someone makes a foulworthy tackle and you are able to see it coming and adapt to both reduce the risk of injury and make it look like more of a foul there's very little reason not to either attempt to avoid the contact or at least make the most of it.

I mentioned nothing about dives in my post, but I did mention contact. Carroll blatantly attempted to cheat since there was no contact made whatsoever. Young may have overreacted, but there was contact and he was clipped. His reaction was uncalled for since the penalty was beyond question.

As SAF himself said....

So I also share his opinion on this.

Nonsense. He wasn't clipped. It seems if you are near a player there must have been 'contact' or that they were 'clipped'. The only thing beyond question was the dive. If that happened against United he wouldn't be saying the same thing. Manager's 'opinions' = tons of salt.

Liam O wrote: »
    I guess so, and tbh, in the heat of the game it does leave a bitter taste and I do go mad about it, in general though it's more anger at the referee for not seeing it and even then I have a much more lax attitude to it anyway now (think it was the torture that some of the Real-Barca games last season) and when I remove myself from the games bias wise it makes perfect sense why players would do it and if push came to shove I reckon in some situations I might do the same.

As far as I'm concerned if someone makes a foulworthy tackle and you are able to see it coming and adapt to both reduce the risk of injury and make it look like more of a foul there's very little reason not to either attempt to avoid the contact or at least make the most of it.

One of the more well thought out arguments here today. However, what Young attempted was neither to escape a foulworthy tackle or to reduce injury. He dived to win a penalty.

Edit: Wrong thread.

• Advertisement

So it's not the blatent theatrics that pisses you off, it's that carroll didn't get away with it too?:confused:

I never said i wasnt pissed off with Carrol, it was a shocking dive.

Advertisement