Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sulky Race down the dual carriageway

Options
  • 22-08-2011 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭

So did anybody have their lives put at risk yesterday afternoon by an 'ethnic minority' racing sulkys down the dual carriageway from Cratloe to the Limerick City exit?

Just like I have seen on the youtube videos, the rules of the road and common sense weren't applied to this event which took place around 4.15 pm yesterday. They took up the hard shoulder and both driving lanes and left queues of traffic heading into town.

I called the Gards but of course nothing was done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

I saw similar on the Ballysimon road about a year ago, all lanes inbound and outbound jammed with horses and vans. I was behind a truck that was facing them and he rolling along and squeezed them over to their side of the road and our hard shoulder, I was delighted. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

So did anybody have their lives put at risk yesterday afternoon by an 'ethnic minority' racing sulkys down the dual carriageway from Cratloe to the Limerick City exit?

Just like I have seen on the youtube videos, the rules of the road and common sense weren't applied to this event which took place around 4.15 pm yesterday. They took up the hard shoulder and both driving lanes and left queues of traffic heading into town.

I called the Gards but of course nothing was done.

Probably sent out there by the city council to try and force people to use the financially failing tunnel.:D

*Puts tinfoil hat on*:pac:

phog wrote: »
    I saw similar on the Ballysimon road about a year ago, all lanes inbound and outbound jammed with horses and vans. I was behind a truck that was facing them and he rolling along and squeezed them over to their side of the road and our hard shoulder, I was delighted. :D:D

Gwan the trucker. :D

In honour of that unknown trucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The repsonse time of the Gardai wouldn't be sufficient to catch them in the act so they know they will get away with it.

Cue somebody coming along to tell us sulkies were around before cars and have more rights than us motorists obeying the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have seen this before but it was always early in the morning. Still though, bu the time the cops would arrive, it would be over and done.
    That's what they think of the law and the rest of us......

we know what will happen. This will turn into a traveler bashing thread and get locked by tea time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Saw one a few years ago out by the ballysimon road, i've never seen so much cash being exchanged. Big bucks beeing bet there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

You can only laugh at this kind of thing. If normal Joe Soaps did this, the cops would be out in a flash.

But if the travellers do it..work away.

Wonder did the gatso van catch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

vkid wrote: »
    You can only laugh at this kind of thing. If normal Joe Soaps did this, the cops would be out in a flash.

But if the travellers do it..work away.

Wonder did the gatso van catch it?

Really? "Normal Joe Soaps" regularly race along this stretch of road. When ever I stay with the mother in law who lives on the dual carraigeway in Cratloe, I see cars having races along this stretch every friday and saturday night around midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Ludo wrote: »
    Really? "Normal Joe Soaps" regularly race along this stretch of road. When ever I stay with the mother in law who lives on the dual carraigeway in Cratloe, I see cars having races along this stretch every friday and saturday night around midnight.

same here, every night im at home i can hear idiots and theyre SUPER LOUD EXHAUSTS flying by on the motorway behind me, rang henry street a few times but given up since, nothing they can do

I've no idea what people do on their cars on a dual carriageway during the night...funnily enough a road that is actually designed for cars

as opposed to horses and sulkies, that the road is not designed for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

But........it's their culture!

Wonder if Pavee Point have any opinion on this behaviour, maybe Martin Collins might enlighten us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

vkid wrote: »
    I've no idea what people do on their cars on a dual carriageway during the night...funnily enough a road that is actually designed for cars

as opposed to horses and sulkies, that the road is not designed for.

So 2 people point out your initial point about the gardai not ignoring "joe soaps" being incorrect and your come back is that you dont know what people do in the middle of the night (despite being told) ?

A road may well be designed for cars but it is NOT designed for racing and dangerous speeds in the dark.
    Personally, I would prefer to come across a sulky race on a bright afternoon rather than a few maniacs doing way over 120 in the dark.

Of course both are wrong, but I don't see the gardai doing anything about either one.

p.s. I must say that everytime I travel from Cork to Clare, thhe motorway signs always bring a smile to my face...I dont think I have ever seen a no jaunting car sign anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

If anyone hasn't seen the carry on:
    I found this weeks dual carriageway race, but can't seem to locate it right now...
    Surely these 'people' videoing themselves with faces and car registrations visible is making for great evidence??

I found this weeks dual carriageway race, but can't seem to locate it right now...
    Surely these 'people' videoing themselves with faces and car registrations visible is making for great evidence??

Utter scum and filth are all that those in that video are. They just take over a public road and prevent other motorists from driving safely.

The safety and rights of other people don't matter to those in that video, but if anyone said anything to them, there would no doubt be bleating about their so called "culture" and their rights.

People like those in the video are the sort that get travellers as a whole wrongly painted with the one brush.

Ludo wrote: »
    So 2 people point out your initial point about the gardai not ignoring "joe soaps" being incorrect and your come back is that you dont know what people do in the middle of the night (despite being told) ?

How do you know that these people are "Joe Soaps" of any sort. Have you seen them and spoken to them?

They could and probably are little scum bags in souped up honda civics acting like the scum they are? no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Well did you find it again? A part of me wants to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Cant seem to find it again...
    Maybe taken down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Wouldn't it be such a tragic waste if there was a crash with some of those young fellas hanging outta the cars.....one of those horses cold get badly hurt or killed!!!
    I like the way the truck didn't bother giving the blue Peugeot as much leeway as they thought they'd get, shame he didn't wipe the f*ckers out and let them see the consequences of such retarded behaviour.
    I bet these same cnuts would be bleating "All we want is to be treated equally boss!!" and then expect that they can pick and choose what laws to follow according to their "customs."
    They aren't even a flippin' minority, they mostly live in houses and don't travel anywhere, they just have a strong accent and long ago maybe someone they knew had a caravan!
    What an utter joke... I wonder as above will the footage be used as evidence against them, plenty of face shots and clear regs, though I don't hold out much hope, after all I'm sure racing horses on a main road against oncoming traffic with flash 4X4s blocking the road and camera equipment hanging outta cars was something they were doing centuries ago!!

Advertisement