Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Boards Digest & Email Preferences Update

Options
  • 20-01-2015 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

So we've got a new feature we're going to be rolling out soon that we're calling the Boards.ie Digest. We might find something more interesting to call it before it's pushed live properly, but basically, the idea is that we will send a email to you, no more than once a week with some interesting content from around the site that you may or may not have seen. It will be opt-in for all existing members, so you wont' be getting it by default, but we're going to enable it for all new members to try and show off some other parts of the site and thus get more people joining in on more discussions. Several other platforms use this with great effect - I always find myself clicking at least one article on the digests Quora send for example. We don't have the format of it finalised just yet, but it's coming, so when I have a sample for you, I'll post it here.

Whilst we were doing that, we made some changes around the "how can Boards contact you" part of the User Control Panel which I'd like to tell you about too.

335783.png

First of all, we changed the ambiguous "Receive Email from Administrators" tick-box as the title of Administrator meant "site owner" in VBulletin and that hasn't been how we describe things for a long time. Instead it says "Receive Email from Boards.ie." The functionality is the same as before - it's tied to a part of the VBulletin platform that allows us to send you an email from the back end of the site, but it's a function we have, to my knowledge, never used. Still, we didn't want to simply remove it because some of you have it set to yes, and some no.

You'll then see the Friendship Requests tick box as before - no change there.

Then we have the Boards.ie Digest which is the new feature I mentioned above. Again, it's opt-in for existing members, but it'll be enabled by default for new sign-ups.

Finally we have "Third Party Email." Now, this does not mean we are going to start selling email addresses for spammers or anything of the sort! :) We have however had numerous enquiries from people about wanting to make offers or get help from our member base in a manner that doesn't piss people off. This is and will always be something you have to opt-in for - no one wants to be sent any more email than they already are and we will *NEVER* be giving anyone your email address - we'll manage all communications ourselves on behalf of anyone who is interested. The sorts of things we might include would be Surveys, Discounts and/or offers for Boardsies etc. This will be a commercial opportunity for us - I'm not going to try and pretend it isn't but I promise you that we won't have anything that we wouldn't be happy to get ourselves. And again, I stress, it is 100% opt-in.

So like I said above, the format of the Digest (and even the name!) is still being finalised, but the technical work has been completed and the team want to push the updates out to the site rather than leaving them waiting. I'll get a sample for you as soon as I can so you can decide for yourself if you want to opt-in or not.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dav wrote: »
    This will be a commercial opportunity for us - I'm not going to try and pretend it isn't but I promise you that we won't have anything that we wouldn't be happy to get ourselves. And again, I stress, it is 100% opt-in.
    Omgz boards.ie is selling us out to the wolvez of Wall streetz and will become mandatory!!1

Well someone had to say it so I thought I might as well get it out of the way to let the rest of the thread flow on easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Actual photo of our office right now:

home_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Didn't even get to do my hair:

1271240697.png

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Spat out my coffee at that, thanks Chris :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think it's a great idea, & exposes a lot of newer users who aren't familiar with the site, to all the popular goings on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Actual photo of our office right now:

[/IMG]
    nice hat Dav :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You're going to have to compete with the Department of Education y'know, they're going to have all that data from all the kids from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Updated my profile with both, willing to give it a try. Very interested in seeing the digest, think its a cool idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is it a "Parish Newsletter" type of deal?

Updates about the many and various communities built up around the site.

EG - The Nocturnal Forum had a night out, The Chess Club have a mini-tournament, the Cycling lads got new gear type of thing?

You say that you
    promise you that we won't have anything that we wouldn't be happy to get ourselves

That was supposed to be the case with Boardsdeals, but there was some quite questionable "offers" when that was running - what will be the quality control element?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Presumably the algorithms will pull things like the most-thanked posts/threads and trending threads, which I gather are based on page views and post-count over time?

I get this sort of thing from Twitter and other sites from time-to-time and I do give them a quick scan to see if anything catches my eye so I'll opt in to this when it goes live. Once a week is fine, as well. I like the weekly update from Twitter to tell me what the hot topics have been. I don't like the near-hourly updates from other sites, however.

• Advertisement

Is it a "Parish Newsletter" type of deal?

Updates about the many and various communities built up around the site.

EG - The Nocturnal Forum had a night out, The Chess Club have a mini-tournament, the Cycling lads got new gear type of thing?

That was supposed to be the case with Boardsdeals, but there was some quite questionable "offers" when that was running - what will be the quality control element?
    Exactly that, yea, parish news letter - so I'll be including the soccer team's weekly matches for example, the cycling folks going out for a spin, the photography folks going on a picture walk, all that sort of stuff (and mods, expect to hear from me about these things soon).

Quality Control - well it'll be largely decided by Niamh, Declan and I with input from Seán and of course the Sales team if there are commercial things going out. Completely fair point re: some of the Boards Deals stuff, lesson has been well and truly learned on all that. There will be no magic bracelets or bean bag companies that don't deliver etc. We messed up on some of those things, we're not likely to do so again.
    Presumably the algorithms will pull things like the most-thanked posts/threads and trending threads, which I gather are based on page views and post-count over time?

I get this sort of thing from Twitter and other sites from time-to-time and I do give them a quick scan to see if anything catches my eye so I'll opt in to this when it goes live. Once a week is fine, as well. I like the weekly update from Twitter to tell me what the hot topics have been. I don't like the near-hourly updates from other sites, however.
    Yea, weekly is the most frequent you could have this sorta thing without it being a complete pain in the arse to be honest :)

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I actually quite like the idea of a parish newsletter type thing. Might even allow for announcements that an event is coming up if people wish to partake, rather than just telling them something has already happened.

It might also allow other forums to branch out into other offline activities (I have some ideas for T&PA that I'd like to raise on that point too) and possibly get people interested in forums based on that.

Sounds great, feel free to send a PM with your ideas - that goes for anyone else reading too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Boards Bite-sized, sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just got my first digest email. Very nice.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ken wrote: »
    Just got my first digest email. Very nice.

Was it sent out? I didn't get anything :confused: I definitely had the box ticked as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Was it sent out? I didn't get anything :confused: I definitely had the box ticked as well.

I haven't received it either.

Mine was received at about 11.30 last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I really like this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hit my inbox around 1320.
    Love the tractor with the snow.

Great idea all, nicely executed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I see Cooking & Recipes got the "focus on a forum" slot. It'll be interesting to see if it drives any extra traffic our way. Thanks!

What about a get to know your boardsie type bio while still retaining anonymity?

Thank you all for the positive feedback, we're still finding our feet with it a bit. We'd love for people to give us a shout with anything they think should be highlighted or included in the digest.

On the "get to know a Boardsie" thing, I'm not sure about it. I'd rather be pointing people at the AMA and have Boardsies sign up for that if they like :)

Better choice - at least there's a record there - on an email you suddenly have a new folder somewhere to keep that data.
    Been some really interesting AMAs already - might have a wander around the music website one over the weekend.

Thank you all for the positive feedback, we're still finding our feet with it a bit. We'd love for people to give us a shout with anything they think should be highlighted or included in the digest.

On the "get to know a Boardsie" thing, I'm not sure about it. I'd rather be pointing people at the AMA and have Boardsies sign up for that if they like :)

I think the "this weeks top threads" should be confined to threads started this week. Only 2 of 5 are from this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Never got anything myself, checked junk and all.

Actually, ignore me. I could have sworn I'd enabled it in CP, but checked there and it was unticked.

Um. I can't find the option to enable this. Do I need to switch to a different skin?

Sparks wrote: »
    Um. I can't find the option to enable this. Do I need to switch to a different skin?

Some experimenting later, and you, you can't get this option if you're using the "White" skin, or a few of the others. "Forum default" works well though...

That won't be getting "fixed" - we can't spend any more time on those old skins.

• Advertisement

Butbutbut... all the others are HUGE BIG SPRAWLING things. Nothing else gets as much text on the page and damn that silly idea that eyes get old and less able to read so much text in one place.
    DAMN IT I SAY.

I remember when all round 'ere were fields...

Advertisement