Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance massive increase

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm looking at getting a new car today so I rang my insurance (Tesco) last night and asked how much it would be to insure the new car, €550 until my renewal in May, she said my new car is some sort of super class or something, btw, it's a mini not a formula 1 car. Went online and got quotes from Aviva (the cheapest) for €426 for twelve months, AIG were €417 but you've to download some app thing, Liberty €976 was the most expensive, no nonsense wouldn't quote me. I'm 34, full ROI license 4 years and in May I'll have 5 years no claims.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I've done more shopping around today. I've never seen such a huge jump in quotes in my 15 years driving!
    I've never had a claim, 0 points, full licence for 10+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm looking at getting a new car today so I rang my insurance (Tesco) last night and asked how much it would be to insure the new car, €550 until my renewal in May, she said my new car is some sort of super class or something, btw, it's a mini not a formula 1 car. Went online and got quotes from Aviva (the cheapest) for €426 for twelve months, AIG were €417 but you've to download some app thing, Liberty €976 was the most expensive, no nonsense wouldn't quote me. I'm 34, full ROI license 4 years and in May I'll have 5 years no claims.

'Kin 'ell. What is it, a Lambo?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

People seem to forget that insurance is based on risk. So you have a pool of risk in each category. If that category gets bigger or riskier, so does the premium. You and your chosen motor may just sit in a category that has seen increased numbers or risk for that particular insurer that year. Hence an insurance hike and hence why it may be cheaper with another company that does not have such risk in your category.

Out of interest, anyone who see's an increase this year, maybe include your car details when you post up. Would be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

25, 1 year full licence, 1 year NCB, 2008 Volvo S40 1.8, 2 parents as named drivers.

Was around €1100 last year, and Liberty just sent me a new quote for about a tenner less. Sound.

Got a quote from AXA for something like €750 which I suppose isn't too bad all things considered , year full licence is killing it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

25, 1 year full licence, 1 year NCB, 2008 Volvo S40 1.8, 2 parents as named drivers.

Was around €1100 last year, and Liberty just sent me a new quote for about a tenner less. Sound.

Got a quote from AXA for something like €750 which I suppose isn't too bad all things considered , year full licence is killing it.

No way?! im 25 driving a 1.6 focus with 5 yrs NCB and im getting qouted 678 ??

ironclaw wrote: »
    People seem to forget that insurance is based on risk. So you have a pool of risk in each category. If that category gets bigger or riskier, so does the premium. You and your chosen motor may just sit in a category that has seen increased numbers or risk for that particular insurer that year. Hence an insurance hike and hence why it may be cheaper with another company that does not have such risk in your category.

Out of interest, anyone who see's an increase this year, maybe include your car details when you post up. Would be interesting to see.

a 25 yr old male with a 1.6 focus must equate to death on wheels in the insurances companies eyes anyway! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

MargeS wrote: »
    Similar story here, my insurance jumped 200 euro in one year and that's with Aviva. I'm currently shopping around and AIG is looking good and with a promotional discount too.

How did you get your hands on the promo discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

evo2000 wrote: »
    a 25 yr old male with a 1.6 focus must equate to death on wheels in the insurances companies eyes anyway! lol

I was looking at Focus's this time last year, but the Volvo which is basically identical underneath the skin cost less to buy, and was in a lower insurance group since they're not as cool, and have softer handling than the Focus.

I was looking at Focus's this time last year, but the Volvo which is basically identical underneath the skin cost less to buy, and was in a lower insurance group since they're not as cool, and have softer handling than the Focus.

How do you find out what risk group a car is in? id much rather a s40, way nicer cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

How did you get your hands on the promo discount?
    When I filled out the online quote form there was a discount code already in the discount field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

evo2000 wrote: »

The Focus would be a popular car in that bracket. Also versus say a Volvo, it wouldn't have the same risk profile i.e. Injuries / Claims from accidents involving Focus's versus accidents in Volvo's.

Advertisement