Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Alerts to Mobile

Options
  • 29-11-2014 9:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm searching for my own solution, so don't worry about that. What I want to set up is a method of alerting me if a process/system goes down. I want like to send this alert to my phone. I have tried to use my number as an email, but found that Vodafone seems to have discontinued the service. So what I am asking is, is there another method I could use to send a message or alert to my phone if something goes down on the Production Server I'm working with.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Itzy wrote: »
    I'm searching for my own solution, so don't worry about that. What I want to set up is a method of alerting me if a process/system goes down. I want like to send this alert to my phone. I have tried to use my number as an email, but found that Vodafone seems to have discontinued the service. So what I am asking is, is there another method I could use to send a message or alert to my phone if something goes down on the Production Server I'm working with.

You could hook a GSM modem and use that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

or perhaps use a script utilising curl to send a text via vodafone's websites webtext facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

deconduo wrote: »
    You could hook a GSM modem and use that?

I did something like this a long while back. Arguably, you could use a regular mobile phone connected to a computer.

You can actually send text messages using the modem AT commands, full details here.

So you would have some kind of central machine/server, to which a mobile phone/modem is connected, with a script running to detect errors (either locally or remotely) generate an alert text message and send it as an SMS.

Simple. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

There's email to sms services like
    http://www.esendex.ie/services/send-sms-via-email
    or neonsms

If you need to warn even when internet or power are down, and want to implement deconduo's option, you can get a GSM modem like the Siemens TC35 as an arduino shield, or standalone rs232 / rs422 device with external antenna connection that can be routed outside the server room.
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=siemens+m20+gsm&_from=R40|R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=siemens+tc35+gsm&_sacat=0

http://www.cellular.co.za/hayesat.htm
    as a guide to the AT commands (is a bit more comprehensive than Tom's link).

Or a 3G stick modem on a Pi, or linux tablet with 3G, whatever floats your interest.

As a quick hack, and internet connectivity is somebody elses problem...

You could use selenium to create a script that automates the process of sending a web text through the vodafone website.
    (Use the selenium IDE + firefox to record the process as a script, then replay it when needs be, or use python to fill in the variables)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Itzy wrote: »

I have nagios setup to send me SMS alerts. However, I have a subscribtions to a bulk SMS gateway service which has an API. I do also use Notify my Andoid (NMA) to have nagios send me push alerts. This was free but it looks like the site isn't taking any new users - although it still works fine. I did come across this https://pushover.net/ recently which appears to do the same thing but for all device (IOS etc). I will look at this if NWA ever stops but it seems very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for all the advice. It's something to look into.

Advertisement