Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The confusing mint

Options
  • 24-07-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Has anyone seen the UTV Quiz show "The Mint" that is on every bight from12 -3? Well i was watching it the other night and they had this puzzle where you had to add all the numbers but no matter what way i did it it was wrong because people who rang up with my answer always got it wrong. It was something like:
    Nineteen minus five =
    4 x 3 + 2 =
    6-5=There are a few possiblilities.. You can add words that say numbes plus the proper numbers.
    You can work out each sum and add it.
    You can work out each sum plus the answer from each sum.

But all seem to be wrong accrding to the show. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was some trick to this quiz?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've never heard of it... I'm usually tucked up in bed by then anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

Anyone?

Anyone?

Dust.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Looks like a few people have because theres a thread about it in the Television forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 theblaxsun

Im watching this right now :confused:

The Question:

Add The Numbers.

Nineteen Minus Five =

4 + 3 x 2 =

6 - 5 =

" Nineteen Minus Five = " <--- Well That Line Contains no numbers?

" 4 + 3 x 2 = " <--- Could be 3 possibilites - (4+3)x2 or 4+(3x2) or even 4 + 3 + 2 (Because the question says add the numbers)

" 6 - 5 = " <--- Another 2 Possibilities (id say) - 6 - 5 (its minus, so cant add?) or 6 + 5

[ Possible Answers (My Opinion):

4 + 3 + 2 + 6 + 5 = 20
    (4 + 3) x2 + 6 - 5 = 15
    (4 + 3) x2 + 6 + 5 = 25
    4 + (3x2) + 6 - 5 = 11
    4 + (3x2) + 6 + 5 = 21
    4 + (3x2) = 10
    (4 + 3) x2 = 14
    4 + 3 + 2 = 9

Well Thats all i got =p

I anyone actually Finds this usefull :eek:

If not.. :rolleyes: - I Pwn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sebba

Ok people some of you will think im just another idiot. I have written down every single answer that has been said ever since this question has started. There is no doubt in my mind that i have the right one. I can fully explain my logic behind my answer. The only problem is that i am 15 and not allowed to play. I am willing to split the money with someone if they call in for me. Contact me at nitrousjunkie101@aol.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Best answer ive come cross:
    It's not a maths question. The answer is extremely ambiguous, and could be interpreted any number of ways - and this is deliberate, because

(a) while they work out all the possible answers before the puzzle goes on the air, they don't need to decide which is the correct answer before they start, ensuring that dozens of callers throw their money away on them;

(b) when the time comes to actually decide which is the correct answer, all they have to do is to let one of the staff make the call. It automatically gets accepted: and no matter how outlandish the answer, it's the right one. The "prize money", if it exists in the first place, goes right back into the prize pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IKnowMyName

Add The Numbers.

Nineteen Minus Five =

4 + 3 x 2 =

6 - 5 =

There's a cule in the title "Add The Numbers".
    The answer is 195, i.e. just fill in the missing numbers 4 "Nineteen Minus Five ="
    I have heard all the possible answers except 4 mine.
    That's my theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

MB44 wrote:
    Has anyone seen the UTV Quiz show "The Mint" that is on every bight from12 -3? Well i was watching it the other night and they had this puzzle where you had to add all the numbers but no matter what way i did it it was wrong because people who rang up with my answer always got it wrong. It was something like:
    Nineteen minus five =
    4 x 3 + 2 =
    6-5=There are a few possiblilities.. You can add words that say numbes plus the proper numbers.
    You can work out each sum and add it.
    You can work out each sum plus the answer from each sum.

But all seem to be wrong accrding to the show. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was some trick to this quiz?

I think these are not quizzes but gambling.
    if you read the small print at the bottom of the screen and then go to the website for their terms and conditions, you'll see that they're not under any obligation to reveal how their solution was reached.

I can remember seeing another consumer type show talk about them and they brought in a mathematician to ask how a problem that had appeared on a 'puzzle show', derived its answer. He couldn't replicate it, no matter how hard he tried.

If you look carefully, those puzzles are usually so ambiguous, i.e. you could read some of the questions metaphorically, so that almost any answer could be produced.

They're just gambling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FidoFuz

theblaxsun wrote:
    " Nineteen Minus Five = " <--- Well That Line Contains no numbers?
    Not true really, depends on how you interpret it. You could argue that there are three numbers here:
    I = 1
    MI = 1001
    IV = 4
    I've actually got through on "The Mint" (using the online entry form of course, not gonna throw money away) and used the answer 1026, but it was also rejected.
    Maybe it's
    I = 1
    M = 1000
    I = 1
    I = 1
    V = 5
    So the total answer would be 1028

The operators should be ignored as the quiz says "add the numbers", although who knows how they are deciding to interpret it.

theblaxsun wrote:
    [ Possible Answers (My Opinion):

4 + 3 + 2 + 6 + 5 = 20
    (4 + 3) x2 + 6 - 5 = 15
    (4 + 3) x2 + 6 + 5 = 25
    4 + (3x2) + 6 - 5 = 11
    4 + (3x2) + 6 + 5 = 21
    4 + (3x2) = 10
    (4 + 3) x2 = 14
    4 + 3 + 2 = 9

I'm pretty sure all of these answers have been rejected by "The Mint". In fact pretty much every 1/2 digit total has been rejected. Gotta think out of the box for this one, or just forget it as it's designed to draw in as many people as possible who think they've got the right answer.

This particular single quiz has been running for at least 6 weeks without a correct answer, so it's obviously not a number which could be stumbled across accidentally, i.e. >100 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is this still going? They started it about 3 months ago and its been driving me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anchorage

the game was won the other night with a lady winning £36,000.

The answer was either 2106 or 2016. No idea how they came to that conclusion!

Only thing i can think of is that they added every possible calculation from the numbers (including numeric text and roman numerals) and then came to the high figure that was revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Just saw one tonight, has my head done in as to how it's worked out...

Add the numbers

nineteen
    9 2
    forty-three

the answer came out as 356, and it's wrecking my head as to where this came from!

HELP!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Yeah, saw that one too on Make Your Play, there's obviously a formula to working them out as these math ones crop up on a number of shows. Good on the winner for actually working it out.

Advertisement