Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can You Fall Back in Love?

Options
  • 19-10-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Me and my ex (kills me to type that) were long distance for the last three months, but have been together for four years (living together for three of them). There was a lot of love and we got on really well. We'd seen each other twice recently, and gotten along great. I felt very happy and secure in the relationship. The long distance thing was never supposed to be permanent, and we'd talked about it for months before I went (and agreed that it was a necessary move).

Then last week he split up with me. For me, this came out of the blue. He'd been struggling with the long distance even before I went, but hadn't told me how he was feeling. He felt like I was abandoning him and let his mind run around in circles until he was convinced it was impossible for us to make it work. He was also missing me just physically being there. Now he says he's fallen out of love with the relationship, even though he still really loves me.

This was told to me as a "done deal", not something to work on. So I guess he has really fallen out of love with me (we had a very long talk the next day, and I'm satisfied that he hasn't just met someone new). He said he'd realised these feelings literally one week beforehand. I'm so sad and disappointed he just gave up on us like that.

I suppose my question is do you think someone can fall back in love again? Long distance? Has anyone had any experience on either side of this coin before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

IMO it can happen, but it isn't possible to 'make' it happen.

Both of you have changed since you met. you are not the same people. The baggage of your past may be dragging you down too.

Go to couples counselling if he agrees, see what happens. i wouldnt give up without trying, but if he is not willing to try ... you may have to accept its over.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

It sounds to me like he has met someone else while you were away but isn't going to admit it and is passing it off by pretty much blaming you. Fairly typical behaviour.

Advertisement