Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking back, what are your impressions of lgbt quality of life ?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

I'm not putting this well but I just want to hear from people about their impressions about the huge change in quality of life for LGBT folk in Ireland. Being old now I grew up in the old way where to act on your sexuality was a criminal offence. You lived in fear. Fear of discovery, fear of attraction, fear of expression, fear of losing a place in life. I know the crippling effect it had on me and people still tell me they can see that in me. It's 21 years since 1993 and one of the best things I've seen is a lot of people just don't care anymore what your sexuality is, it's beside the point. I know others are struggling for marriage equality and that is a battle yet to be won. It's far easier meet people now and social media does help. What are your thoughts? I should add that the amount of good looking guys seems to have increased enormously! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm from a different generation and my quality of life has only gotten better and better since coming out. I've had some adventures and met many exceptional people. I feel very much happy with who I am as a person and wouldn't want to go straight at this stage if there was a magic pill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Well said Cydoniac, +1

I am also too young to have been part of 'criminalised' generation but from what I understand about Ireland in the 1970s and 1980s I certainly would have been very afraid to come out then. Ignorance and open hostility were the order of the day and I picture it somewhat like Russia is right now. LGBT people were afraid with good reason. There were vicious beatings the authorities routinely ignored and there were murders too - Anthony McCleave, John Roche, Charles Self, Henry McLarnon and Declan Flynn to name the most well known victims.

In terms of full equality we're obviously not fully there yet but since 1993 things have only gotten better compared to the dark ages before then! We have it pretty good now, yes there is still ignorance, discrimination and homophobia out there and in all likelyhood there always will be in some form but I am happy that I was able to come out in a far more tolerant and understanding generation than the ones that came before. I never had a problem accepting my sexuality but my worry was how my friends would react, they were fine. Put me in that situation 30 years ago and I would have bitten my tongue and stayed silent, and probably hated myself for being so afraid.

That said, I would also never choose to be straight, even if it meant a less complicated life - I am who I am ;)

Advertisement