Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport question for Transgender Niece

Options
  • 04-08-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi Folks

My Trans Niece ( male to female ) is coming to visit from the UK this weekend. ATM she is in early stages and her passport has her male name and pic on it.

just wondering if she is likely to have any problems with her looking female but passport being male.

she will have a letter from her Gender reassignment clinic with her.

On the plus side she is coming for comic con and so will be in cosplay so she can always just say ... this is my costume.

but just thought id ask what if any experiences others have had.

also .... she has Irish passport but lives in UK and we now understand that if she changes her name while she is here she will then be able to change her passport.

Am I right in thinking we just need to take her into a solicitors to get her name changed ?

thanks all !!

oh and ps .... lol

any ideas of places to buy shoes in Dublin size 9 ?? doesn't have to be flashy heels or anything just decent shoes for her to wear with Jeans.

many thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,808 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Best thing to do is ring TENI

http://www.teni.ie/page.aspx?contentid=17

I think changing your name officially is a bit more complicated then just going to a solicitor

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/problems_in_marriages_and_other_relationships/changing_your_name_by_deed_poll.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Deed poll involves going to Four Courts in Dublin, there's an area there that is dedicated to it. You don't strictly need a solicitor, just a witness for the sworn affidavit. You'll need a special declaration printed onto deed poll paper. A solicitor can make it a lot more straightforward if you are unsure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,808 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As far as I know Dublin Trans Peer Support Group do this regularly for people and have contacts in the four courts office. Thats why I am saying ask TENI.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It's a good idea to get help from TENI alright ;)
    just wondering if she is likely to have any problems with her looking female but passport being male.

she will have a letter from her Gender reassignment clinic with her.

I had the same issue a few years back, trans female but still had a male passport. My solution was to 'butch up' for the trip, wear baggy mens clothes, tie my hair back etc, I'd been on HRT less than a year, and figured that I could pull it off. I couldn't. I was taken aside going through security and given some extra scrutiny, but it was nothing to panic over, they didn't even need to see the letter from my doctor or anything.

So yeah, I'd just prepare for a delay going through security, make sure you've got a bit of time to spare just in case, and if you have supporting documentation, you'll be fine. Airport security aren't oblivious to trans people. Honestly, your niece will be fine ;)
    oh and ps .... lol

any ideas of places to buy shoes in Dublin size 9 ?? doesn't have to be flashy heels or anything just decent shoes for her to wear with Jeans.

many thanks x

I swear by a good pair of Dr Martens, so check out China Blue in Temple Bar, otherwise TK Maxx sometimes have size 9s in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

If she's travelling by boat or travelling with any other airline apart from Ryanair, she won't need a passport, on account of the Common Travel Area. Might allow her to obviate the need for a passport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement