Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships

Options
  • 13-06-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am just finished my 2nd Year in a Computer Science and Software Engineering degree and looking everywhere to get some form of internship to get my foot in the door previous to my set internship starting in January. I would be looking for something for 8-12 weeks up until mid September latest.

Other than for survivability reasons and needing to cut back on my part time job, I don't care how much or if it pays. I merely want something that will provide me with some new skills and some good CV material.

I would be happiest working as a Java Developer, but can do basic Web Development, Software Testing or Database work too. I am currently maintaining a first class in my computer science modules.

If anyone knows of anywhere (in Dublin or Kildare/Meath) that might be taking on interns, I would be much obliged if you could send me on information.

brainiac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

brainiac wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am just finished my 2nd Year in a Computer Science and Software Engineering degree and looking everywhere to get some form of internship to get my foot in the door previous to my set internship starting in January. I would be looking for something for 8-12 weeks up until mid September latest.

Other than for survivability reasons and needing to cut back on my part time job, I don't care how much or if it pays. I merely want something that will provide me with some new skills and some good CV material.

I would be happiest working as a Java Developer, but can do basic Web Development, Software Testing or Database work too. I am currently maintaining a first class in my computer science modules.

If anyone knows of anywhere (in Dublin or Kildare/Meath) that might be taking on interns, I would be much obliged if you could send me on information.

brainiac.

Check out IBM Mulhuddart Campus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I re-read your post many times but unfortunately I am a very stupid man. I don't understand when you want the internship. For this summer? Or next?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Sorry if it wasn't clear, this summer, asap really. Want something to keep me focused and get my foot in the door of the industry asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Hmm, it's probably a bit late for this summer. The company I work for takes on interns all the time but it would be way too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I read your advert looking for 'work' as follows...

I'm just out of college, please take advantage of me.

Potential employers will value a paid position more, even one more suited to your level of practical experience. Repeated door mat positions don't look good on a CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I wouldn't bother with IBM, I was accepted for Intel, IBM and Oracle. The Oracle thing fell through, but they sent me an Ipod for putting me through the trouble (sweet!).

I sat the interview for IBM and on the way out, they showed me a room with dozens of PCs on the floor and the interviewer said, that's where you'll be spending most of your days, testing build configurations on those PCs. I thought to myself screw that and accepted Intel, it was also nearer.

Now I know some people got pretty bad positions in intel but maybe I was one of the lucky ones. While I was there (1 year) I became proficient in .NET, T-SQL (reporting services, integration services (well the 2000 version anyway)) and OLAP (yes MDX included).

I was writing code everyday, dealing with millions of rows of data as part of their data unification program. I also wrote plenty of macros for outlook and excel.

So pretty eventful year, it also gave me the confidence to knuckle down in my final year at UCC and come out with first class honours.

Thinking of the tools I acquired there, I can easily look at a career in big data
    although I think I enjoy writing code more to be honest, at least for now.

Also having it on my CV has done no harm at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

I sat the interview for IBM and on the way out, they showed me a room with dozens of PCs on the floor and the interviewer said, that's where you'll be spending most of your days, testing build configurations on those PCs. I thought to myself screw that and accepted Intel, it was also nearer.

OK, so you advise not bothering with IBM based on what one interviewer said, after one interview, for one role, in a company with dozens of different teams in one campus alone.

Glad your work placement went well anyway. What would of happened if one of the students who had a bad experience with Intel told you not to bother ?

OK, so you advise not bothering with IBM based on what one interviewer said, after one interview, for one role, in a company with dozens of different teams in one campus alone.

Glad your work placement went well anyway. What would of happened if one of the students who had a bad experience with Intel told you not to bother ?

I can only go on my own experience. Maybe it was a bit presumptuous in hindsight to say what I said. I suppose the lesson here is for you to also interview them and find out if the placement is actually going to be a good experience for you. After all, that's what's most important in this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Have a look here, not sure when they take people on, http://itgraduates.version1.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's too late for this summer. Most of the IT companies recruit for interns in or around September, for the following summer. Believe me, I've tried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fennessy

Good on you for looking to bolster your CV - if you're willing to take an unpaid internship to get some experience, it shows two things 1)You're willing to hustle to get ahead (i.e. you are dedicated to working in your industry), and 2) When you do take on a job you will at least have some type of understanding of potential roles, how you''ll fit in and be more likely to hit the ground running..

No idea why everyone is so keen on saying its too late? Its never too late, there's always opportunities out there! For some larger companies with structured summer internships, perhaps its past their deadline - but I would focus on smaller companies/startups involved in development/design. Find some key targets and drop them your CV, telling them what you'd like to learn..

I wouldn't bother with IBM, I was accepted for Intel, IBM and Oracle. The Oracle thing fell through, but they sent me an Ipod for putting me through the trouble (sweet!).

Now I know some people got pretty bad positions in intel but maybe I was one of the lucky ones. While I was there (1 year) I became proficient in .NET, T-SQL (reporting services, integration services (well the 2000 version anyway)) and OLAP (yes MDX included).

I was writing code everyday, dealing with millions of rows of data as part of their data unification program. I also wrote plenty of macros for outlook and excel.

So pretty eventful year, it also gave me the confidence to knuckle down in my final year at UCC and come out with first class honours.

Thinking of the tools I acquired there, I can easily look at a career in big data
    although I think I enjoy writing code more to be honest, at least for now.

Also having it on my CV has done no harm at all!

Unless that experience got you a job, you just sold yourself short...

If every student stopped working for less than a toilet cleaner (internships) companies who can comfortably pay 4/5k more, would be forced to do so. And you could move out of your mammies house.

Internships at Microsoft IBM Google are exploitation of vulnerable naive people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

househero wrote: »
    Internships at Microsoft IBM Google are exploitation of vulnerable naive people.

Alternatively they give you a fantastic looking introduction to your CV and open doors to many more positions in the future.

Graham wrote: »
    Alternatively they give you a fantastic looking introduction to your CV and open doors to many more positions in the future.

Alternatively if such experience is so valuable, the companies would pay more in the first place. These are some of the most profitable and productive companies in Dub.

How long does the working for nothing mentality continue? A student is already investing a huge amount of time and money in educating themselves to a level that satisfies blue chip companies requirements.

The companies are paying nothing (the cleaners in the office get paid more!) to the most promising students after tough interviews even though a small increase would make a huge difference to the student, and make next to no difference to the companies bottom line... it might even improve productivity and increase the retention rate after training.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Alternatively if such experience is so valuable, the companies would pay more in the first place.

Generally companies do pay more for experienced staff the point of internships from a candidates perspective is to gain that experience.
    How long does the working for nothing mentality continue? A student is already investing a huge amount of time and money in educating themselves to a level that satisfies blue chip companies requirements.

So your suggestion is to sit at home to prove a point, meanwhile someone else takes an internship and starts climbing the ladder.
    They are paying nothing, to the most promising students after tough interviews even though a small increase would make a huge different to the student, and make next to no difference to the companies bottom line... it might even improve productivity and increase the retention rate after training.

New staff, particularly ones with no experience are rarely productive in the early days/months and that training you mention doesn't come cheap. I suppose companies could pay newly qualified staff more and just employ less of them.

Alternatively if such experience is so valuable, the companies would pay more in the first place. These are some of the most profitable and productive companies in Dub.

The companies are paying nothing (the cleaners in the office get paid more!) to the most promising students after tough interviews even though a small increase would make a huge difference to the student, and make next to no difference to the companies bottom line... it might even improve productivity and increase the retention rate after training.

I got paid for my time at Intel. Admittedly it wouldn't make me rich but it was enough at the time.
    After I left Intel my summer was spent working at a small web design house. The interns there were paid a fraction of what I got at Intel.

They were happy to see Intel on my CV as were all my employers since then.
    I do think the experience I gained there was second to none and it also gave me a look into the "ins and outs" of bigger companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

A student is already investing a huge amount of time and money in educating themselves to a level that satisfies blue chip companies requirements.

Yet the vast majority of grads are still completely useless when they first enter industry. Generally you will only do one internship so the working for little/nothing doesn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

They paid more back before 2008 but have tuned down a lot since then because the economy demanded it. I graduated in 2008 and saw the year before me walk into 30k+ jobs while less than 10 of my year of 30 had jobs by the time graduation came around.

You have to remember that providing graduates experience costs money and if a graduate moves on after 6-12 months, they take the training they received with them.

Advertisement