Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what feathers to keep

Options
  • 30-01-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

what feathers from what birds should i keep for flie tying

i have 1 woodcock 2 cock teal 2 hen teal 1 snip and thay are not plucked yet and i will get a few cock pheasants

i have 4 mallard wings 2 shoviler wings 2 cock pheasant wings 2 partridge wings . what should i keep for tying flies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Woodcock; the wings can be used of traditional wets, I think feathers from behind the neck are good for spiders/soft hackles
    Teal Drake; wings (think there are greenish feathers on there) can be used for traditional wets and the black & white feathers from around the neck can be used for the Teal & series (teal blue & silver etc)
    Snipe; more or less same as woodcock
    Mallard drakes: blue wing feathers good for flies like the butcher. The brown/bronze feathers on the neck are good for wings for traditional wets and dabblers
    Cock pheasant; the centre tail is great for nymphs (I think the wings from a hen are best for tying wings on wets)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Don't forget the flank feathers on mallard drakes for dabblers and the flanks on teal drakes for sea trout flies like teal blue & silver and peter ross.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you have shooting friends, don't forget grey squirrel tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

coolwings wrote: »
    If you have shooting friends, don't forget grey squirrel tail.

i shoot my self thats how i got the wings and feathers but i never saw a gray squirrel

Advertisement