Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you caught an irish record fish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

What point is it to catch a monster fish and kill it?
    Measurements, good quality photo's and the satisfaction
    of knowing it went swimming back happy and healthy to
    fight another day are surely all thats needed.

As far as specimens go, Id be hard pushed to kill
    a fish to claim it! For some species, scales where appropriate
    can be submitted to combat this which is a great idea...

Bagged up one day last summer while fishing from the boat
    with the keep net out the back, unaware of the sheer volume of
    great fish being caught, they were getting rather packed within
    a confined space. Decided to just grab the first fish to hand to
    measure and photo to claim and ensure they all got back to the safety
    of the open waters.

Killing fish is un-neccessary! If it is for the plate, within reason fair enough!
    A couple of Howth mackeral and a trout on St Patricks day are all ill ever take!
    Kill all our monster fish and what personal bests do you aim for then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Thankfully all our specimen coarse fish are protected now by law anyway and only since 2006, pity it wasn't years earlier!
    On the game front I'm always amazed when I hear of anglers killing Trout 4 or5 or 6lbs + for the pan.
    These are carrying the very genetics that we should be trying to help and breed off.
    For me if I was going to eat a trout, I prefer one about a pound or pound and a half!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bizzum wrote: »
    Thankfully all our specimen coarse fish are protected now by law anyway and only since 2006, pity it wasn't years earlier!
    On the game front I'm always amazed when I hear of anglers killing Trout 4 or5 or 6lbs + for the pan.
    These are carrying the very genetics that we should be trying to help and breed off.
    For me if I was going to eat a trout, I prefer one about a pound or pound and a half!

If you want one smoked a bigger one is preferable though.

Advertisement